YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions

Updated Jan 2, 2017

1.8

Anonymous Employee in Nicholasville, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Nicholasville, KY).

Interview

Very smooth. Phone interview then one on one personal interview... once you were hired there was a "hiring day" where all the employees would come in and out to different tables to fill out paperwork and get their drug test done. One desk would be the contract, one desk would be getting a copy of your ID and SS, one desk would be explaining training's, and one desk would be getting you signed up for extra activities.

Anonymous Employee in Monroe, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at YMCA (Monroe, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Normal interview questions mostly. Threw in a few situational questions about lifeguarding scenarios. Afterward, we went to the pool and I had to demonstrate five different swimming strokes that she asked me to do.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a non-english speaker is doing backflips into the shallow end?   Answer Question

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward, I saw an ad on Craigslist in March and called the aquatics director and told him I was taking a Red Cross lifeguard course in April, he told me to call him back if and when I passed that. Come April I called him back and we meet up about a week later, he gave me a large stack of papers to fill out, and made copies of a lot of my certifications and give me a online sexual harassment course to take. Then he told me he would call me back so I waited about a week and then decided to call him, and he had me come in that day to finish the paperwork and attend an all staff meeting. Then I called again about a week before camp started and he had me come in to tour the camp and fill out more paperwork. Then I called the day before camp to get my schedule and was told I will be working everyday Monday through Friday unless I request a day off (which they are very lenient about). So other than the poor communication and the mountains of paperwork it wasn't bad, and I think I ended up being paid for some of it.

Interview Questions

• Do you work well with children?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Boise, ID).

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple and straightforward. After taking the YMCA Lifeguard Certification Class, I was almost guaranteed a job working for the Y. After the class, I submitted my resume to the employer like I would for any job. When I was called in for the interview I was told I could have dressed a little more casual. I was interviewed by the Lifeguard and Safety coordinator in the Aquatics office right next to the pool. My interviewer sat me down and asked me fairly easy interview questions that would be asked for most entry-level minimum-wage jobs. I felt at ease and I felt as though my interviewer really valued my time.

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (State College, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

I did my interview over the phone. It was fairly simple, and just required me to answer not only a couple questions about myself but about lifeguarding itself. They seemed to car more about what I was like vs. anything else.

Interview Questions

• What is the first thing that comes to mind for you to do if we had a large party coming in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peyton, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Peyton, CO) in April 2016.

Interview

Was fairly brief. Employer did not seem to care about certs, degrees, or experience. Employer talked about the company feeling like a family and how long she had worked there herself more than do am actual interview. Hiring process was immediately after.

Interview Questions

• What I would expect from my supervisors and co-workers   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was a quick and easy group interview. We were placed in a room at grouped tables with several interviewers. Each interviewer was assigned to a table and at the table we were asked different questions. After passing that interview we were called for a skills interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would react to a particular situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Memphis, TN) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview process was Great. I had the opportunity to meet the head life guard and she was really nice. Very smooth processurface after interviewing with HR. The entire YMCA team was really good. They all spoke to me upon arrival astatus if it was anticipated.

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

If you don't get certified through them you have to perform the test. The test includes swimming 1000 Meters; Performing a rescue for a person without a neck injury; perform a rescue on a person with a neck injury with backboard; carrying a brick 100 Meters;Perform a 15 foot dive while in the water.

If not, its a quick phone call and paper work.

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

I showed up about 10 minutes early and went to a small office near the pool. The interviewer asked me to pull up a chair at the table. I was asked about 5 very easy questions, while lifeguards walked in and out of the office. Then, we went over scheduling and the training that I would have to do (a weekend class). Very casual, interviewer was very friendly and kept it short.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer