YMCA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

1,095 Interview Reviews

2.2

Indoor/Outdoor Lifeguard Interview

Anonymous Employee in East York, PA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at YMCA (East York, PA) in May 2017.

Interview

Very comprehensive and open. This interview was invasive and it required much time and effort to procure the mandatory documents to be able to perform my duties. The interview itself was very personable and the hiring manager spent hours with me showing me the facilities and explaining the requirements and expectations if I accept offer of employment.

Interview Questions

• Do you have Child Abuse Clearances?   1 Answer

Youth Crisis Mental Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied and got a call the next day. The woman on the phone was very nice. We set up an interview as scheduled it or the following week.

Interview VERY INTENSE for this position. It is for good reason, but nevertheless.

She sent me the interview questions about an hour before the interview started.

Interview Questions

• Experience to prepare out to work with youth with acute mental illness?   Answer Question
    • Experience coaching parents on working with their children with behavioral and emotional problems.   Answer Question
    • De-escalation Skills   Answer Question
    • What type of training do you have, and would you want more of?   Answer Question
    • How do people end up in crisis?   Answer Question
    • Experience with clinical documentation?   Answer Question
    • Tell me when you followed your intuition.   Answer Question
    • Clinical documentation skills.   Answer Question
    • Scenario Quesions:
      1. First steps
      2. Immediate needs
      3. When is the outreach complete?
      4. Recommendations for follow-up services.   Answer Question

Very good job, but too intense for what I was looking for at this time.

YMCA Branch Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Get a call from downtown recruiter, then you wait weeks upon weeks to get a second phone interview....then you must go through two more in person interviews to be told at that point your qualifications do not meet the needs. Expectations in interview process did not match job descriptions

Fitness Centre Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

This was a very uncomfortable process from the start. When I was called to come in for an interview, they told me that I could only come in at one time or else I wouldn't have a chance to interview. The time was a very inconvenient time to come in, but I wanted to try and get the position. The interview was a very awkward and uncomfortable interview. Most of the questions that I was asked had nothing to do with the answers they wanted from me. Some questions took over 20 minutes, because the actual question that they wanted me to answer had nothing to do with the original questions. (Original Q: tell about a time where you said and did something that people did not like? How did you recognize it and what did you do? Actual question: How do you empathize and how would you teach it?) After the interview, they took me to the gym to supervise one of their staff for 5 minutes and tell them what I thought of the staff. Interview felt very horrible and uncomfortable. I did not expect to get any offer for the job. They ended up calling my current employer to do a reference check, so he and I assumed that I was going to get the job. They ended up not even offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• name a time when a staff member you supervised had a performance issue and how did you deal with it   1 Answer

Language Assessor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2013.

Interview

One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Regional Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2009.

Interview

Interview process was a joke for the position. I was interviewed by 7 different individuals who fired questions randomly for a position that paid barely 25K per year. When the position was offered (I have over 13 years of experience), the salary did not even fall within the range that the posted job listed.

Interview Questions

• Had very specific questions regarding events that had obviously occurred and were very obscure.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no budging on salary and at the time I was unemployed and need the job.

Assistant Business Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

The intial interview was with the Business Manager, which went well. The second interview consisted of a panel of three. The positions of the panel was business executive, comptroller, and human resource manager. The second interview I found to be very uncomfortable, especially when the executive started texting.

Interview Questions

• At your previous or present job have you performed variance analysis?   1 Answer

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA in April 2016.

Interview

I was called for a phone interview. Phone interview was 1 week later. Called a couple of days later for an in person interview. In person interview was 1 week later. Gave a 3 week notice at my old position to then start at the Y. Total of 5-6 weeks from first call to start date. The in person interview was several hours long and I interviewed with probably 8 or 9 people total.

Interview Questions

• What is my management style?   1 Answer

Desktop Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

There were two phone interviews, then a face-to-face with the hiring mgr and 3 members of the IT team. Then there was a second face-to-face with a panel, kind of like a congressional hearing; 7 employees from various departments all asking questions. The 2 phone and first ftf meeting seemed to go well. The 2nd ftf meet seemed somewhat awkward; I hadn't interviewed much in 13 years and was nervous, and there was to be an event celebrating an employee, so I was left alone in the conf. room. Wasn't sure if I should stay there, or partake in the party. But then the event was cancelled. Fielded multiple questions from all 7 individuals, and then the interview abruptly ended. No graceful "that concludes...", or "thanks". It was left to me to figure it out, so I said my thanks and got up/left. The hiring mgr (who was present but didn't ask any questions) walked me out, but no one else said anything. And that was it. Despite my follow up emails, and call to the HM, I never heard back, and they never bothered to reply to my follow up emails with any update, or "thanks, but no thanks" etc...

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newark, NJ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at YMCA (Newark, NJ) in September 2015.

Interview

It was unconventional, very tedious, it made me think . I had to do lots of research and even look at myself as an employee. I was very thankful for that type of interview.