YMCA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.2

Youth Crisis Mental Health Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied and got a call the next day. The woman on the phone was very nice. We set up an interview as scheduled it or the following week.

Interview VERY INTENSE for this position. It is for good reason, but nevertheless.

She sent me the interview questions about an hour before the interview started.

Interview Questions

• Experience to prepare out to work with youth with acute mental illness?   Answer Question
    • Experience coaching parents on working with their children with behavioral and emotional problems.   Answer Question
    • De-escalation Skills   Answer Question
    • What type of training do you have, and would you want more of?   Answer Question
    • How do people end up in crisis?   Answer Question
    • Experience with clinical documentation?   Answer Question
    • Tell me when you followed your intuition.   Answer Question
    • Clinical documentation skills.   Answer Question
    • Scenario Quesions:
      1. First steps
      2. Immediate needs
      3. When is the outreach complete?
      4. Recommendations for follow-up services.
      Answer Question

Very good job, but too intense for what I was looking for at this time.

YMCA Branch Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (Chicago, IL) in November 2015.

Interview

Get a call from downtown recruiter, then you wait weeks upon weeks to get a second phone interview....then you must go through two more in person interviews to be told at that point your qualifications do not meet the needs. Expectations in interview process did not match job descriptions

Fitness Centre Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in August 2014.

Interview

This was a very uncomfortable process from the start. When I was called to come in for an interview, they told me that I could only come in at one time or else I wouldn't have a chance to interview. The time was a very inconvenient time to come in, but I wanted to try and get the position. The interview was a very awkward and uncomfortable interview. Most of the questions that I was asked had nothing to do with the answers they wanted from me. Some questions took over 20 minutes, because the actual question that they wanted me to answer had nothing to do with the original questions. (Original Q: tell about a time where you said and did something that people did not like? How did you recognize it and what did you do? Actual question: How do you empathize and how would you teach it?) After the interview, they took me to the gym to supervise one of their staff for 5 minutes and tell them what I thought of the staff. Interview felt very horrible and uncomfortable. I did not expect to get any offer for the job. They ended up calling my current employer to do a reference check, so he and I assumed that I was going to get the job. They ended up not even offering me the job.

Interview Questions

• name a time when a staff member you supervised had a performance issue and how did you deal with it   1 Answer

Language Assessor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2013.

Interview

One hour job interview with two people asking questions. Very detailed but friendly and inviting atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you disagreed with your boss' decision   Answer Question

Regional Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Pittsburgh, PA) in June 2009.

Interview

Interview process was a joke for the position. I was interviewed by 7 different individuals who fired questions randomly for a position that paid barely 25K per year. When the position was offered (I have over 13 years of experience), the salary did not even fall within the range that the posted job listed.

Interview Questions

• Had very specific questions regarding events that had obviously occurred and were very obscure.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no budging on salary and at the time I was unemployed and need the job.

Assistant Business Operator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

The intial interview was with the Business Manager, which went well. The second interview consisted of a panel of three. The positions of the panel was business executive, comptroller, and human resource manager. The second interview I found to be very uncomfortable, especially when the executive started texting.

Interview Questions

• At your previous or present job have you performed variance analysis?   1 Answer

Program Leader Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Vancouver, BC (Canada)).

Interview

When I arrived they informed me that they would give me some time to prepare to give a presentation. They gave me the information I was to present on, left the room for a short time and came back for my presentation. I had NO idea I was going to have to do this and was quite uncomfortable.

Executive Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Chicago, IL) in September 2016.

Interview

The process began with two phone interviews. One conducted by the Talent Acquisition Manager. She was very cordial and informational about the position and the company. The second phone interview was conducted by her boss. Each phone call lasted about 25-40 minutes. These phone calls were followed up with two rounds of in-person interviews with multiple management team members with corporate management and branch managers.

Interview Questions

• My experience working with adults and children. How many employees had I supervised in my career. They asked about my sales experience.   1 Answer

Association Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Hartford, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (East Hartford, CT) in October 2016.

Interview

Long and hostile. Never got back to me after two weeks. It was a panel and during the interview, the COO reprimanded one of the interviewers...it was uncomfortable and uncalled for.

Interview Questions

• What would be the most difficult part of my new position   1 Answer

Accounting Business Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Chester, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (West Chester, PA) in February 2016.

Interview

took approx. 30 days, with 4 interviews, meeting a total of 11 people. Overall, the interviewers were friendly, but very protective of the Y and its reputation. "The Y is Not a Gym and Swim" and this phrase was reinforced repeatedly. It was implied that even with the set salary, which was on the low end, you were expected to volunteer your time for all fund raisers and activities.

I initial interview was with 7 people, the department heads, and took approximately 1 hour. It was very grueling. They went around the table, each asking a question from a set list. In truth, it felt like an inquisition, including the 2nd interview with the Branch Director and Ops Manager, for which I was better prepared (so I thought). The last interviews with the President and Controller were just supposed to be a meet and greet. In fact, at one point, I felt as though I was being welcomed into the Y Family. Guess I blew that one!!

Interview Questions

• Why here? What can you bring to the table? Volunteer activities? Describe your customer service skills. How do I handle delinquent invoices and the collections of those monies.   Answer Question