YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions

Updated Dec 28, 2016

1.6

Anonymous Employee in Monroe, WA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at YMCA (Monroe, WA) in December 2016.

Interview

Normal interview questions mostly. Threw in a few situational questions about lifeguarding scenarios. Afterward, we went to the pool and I had to demonstrate five different swimming strokes that she asked me to do.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if a non-english speaker is doing backflips into the shallow end?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Employee in Boise, ID

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Boise, ID).

Interview

The interview process was fairly simple and straightforward. After taking the YMCA Lifeguard Certification Class, I was almost guaranteed a job working for the Y. After the class, I submitted my resume to the employer like I would for any job. When I was called in for the interview I was told I could have dressed a little more casual. I was interviewed by the Lifeguard and Safety coordinator in the Aquatics office right next to the pool. My interviewer sat me down and asked me fairly easy interview questions that would be asked for most entry-level minimum-wage jobs. I felt at ease and I felt as though my interviewer really valued my time.

Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Indianapolis, IN).

Interview

It was a quick and easy group interview. We were placed in a room at grouped tables with several interviewers. Each interviewer was assigned to a table and at the table we were asked different questions. After passing that interview we were called for a skills interview.

Interview Questions

• They asked how I would react to a particular situation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Memphis, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Memphis, TN) in February 2016.

Interview

Interview process was Great. I had the opportunity to meet the head life guard and she was really nice. Very smooth processurface after interviewing with HR. The entire YMCA team was really good. They all spoke to me upon arrival astatus if it was anticipated.

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

I showed up about 10 minutes early and went to a small office near the pool. The interviewer asked me to pull up a chair at the table. I was asked about 5 very easy questions, while lifeguards walked in and out of the office. Then, we went over scheduling and the training that I would have to do (a weekend class). Very casual, interviewer was very friendly and kept it short.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Redlands, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (Redlands, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied at the YMCA in March, 2015. I interviewed in June, 2016. The process was very long. The interview was very easy and they asked basic interview questions. I got a call at the July, 2016 saying that I got the job. I accepted and started working in August of 2016.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Durham, NC).

Interview

The interview was with another candidate. It lasted about an hour, all questions were basic interview questions. They want to make sure that you will fit in as an employee because they are very community based. They also want to know how well you understand lifeguard skills

Interview Questions

• What do you think you would bring to this organization?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, NC

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Burlington, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

Very thorough and well done. The current aquatics director did not interview me it was his assistant. She was very open and has an assertive personality. She is very upfront as she is new to the position as well. The interview was more in conversational format and, was done with ease. She was a professional with it.

Lifeguard Interview

Interview

Straight forward. Did a phone screen, then an in person interview and an in the water test. Overall process was in line with other interviews I'd done for pool lifeguard positions.

Anonymous Employee in Appleton, WI

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Appleton, WI) in October 2014.

Interview

It was very casual. The aquatics hiring staff is lovely. Be serious about working hard but be light-hearted. They asked me some basic questions and, in my opinion, wanted to see my interpersonal skills versus simply hearing about my qualifications.

Interview Questions

• What experience do you have?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my wage just a little. They told me what they typically pay new hires, but I had been lifeguarding for a few years before applying to the YMCA, so they upped my wage based on my years of experience.