YMCA Program Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 9, 2017

3.1

17 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Louisville, KY).

Interview

Applied online, followed up with Regional Director one week later. Contacted by phone about a week later by Regional Director. Scheduled interview within 2 days. I was contacted early in the morning. Interview was during mid afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had de-escalate an upset parent   1 Answer
  • What is your experience with budgeting?   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Program Director Interview

Interview

Sat down with three staff members from the leadership team. Interview was pleasant, however they surprised me with additional responsibilities that were not listed on their job description. No call back or update either after the interview. Overall I was disappointed with the process and felt that it did not do justice to the overall mission of the YMCA.

Interview Questions

• How would you get more teenagers in the door of our YMCA?   Answer Question

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA in April 2016.

Interview

I was called for a phone interview. Phone interview was 1 week later. Called a couple of days later for an in person interview. In person interview was 1 week later. Gave a 3 week notice at my old position to then start at the Y. Total of 5-6 weeks from first call to start date. The in person interview was several hours long and I interviewed with probably 8 or 9 people total.

Interview Questions

• What is my management style?   1 Answer

Program Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

I applied by e-mail to HR per website instructions. I received an email response indicating the submission date deadline. It took 5 weeks after submission deadline before I got the call for the HR screen. The request for in-person came a few days after the HR call. The HR phone interview was professional. STAR questions. The in-person interview was with 2 members of the location's executive team. Started the interview with "are you ready for the change". Coming from the for-profit world was clearly viewed as a negative. Not sure why I was called in if they had no intention of hiring from outside not-for-profit.

Interview Questions

• Questions were only asked from a negative perspective. What would a former subbordinate say is the hardest part of working for you? No offsetting best part question. Same question was asked about your prior superior. Again, without the correspoding best part question   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at YMCA (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Quick and easy. Normal interview questions with some practical job questions. There were a few panel interviews with candidates switching which panel they interview with. Overall the interview was fairly easy with no unexpected questions. A lot of the interviewees have a lot of work experience from not running successful programs.

Interview Questions

• Situational questions. Strengths and weaknesses.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Big Bear Lake, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Big Bear Lake, CA).

Interview

The interview process consisted of a group interview with three current employees conducting the interview. Questions included basic interview questions such as tell me about yourself and why you're interested in the position. There was also emphasis on experience/behavioral based questions such as asking to provide examples of times in which I did more than was required of me in a professional role, how I have dealt with and addressed work related challenges, etc.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time in which you did more than what was required of you in a job, and what was the end result.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Fort Lauderdale, FL).

Interview

Interview was unprofessional. Two interviewers were in the interview and one was texting the whole time while asking questions and the other one took a phone call and left the room, and never returned. It seemed like I never had their undivided attention from the start. They mainly asked behavioral questions and the interview did not last longer than 15 minutes. After the interview, they tell you that they will be in contact with you via ApplicantOne (their online application server) in less than 14 days. It took about a week to get a response from them. They told me they found another person for the job, although if they offered it to me I probably would not have taken it due to how unprofessional the interview went.

Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Long Beach, CA).

Interview

Job gets posted online (jobing.com). Get screened via a phone interview. Brought in for a panel interview with a branch Executive Director, and two other Program Directors from other departments. The interview questions are geared towards past experience, ideas of ways to grow programs, marketing, and ways to have a positive impact on the community.

Interview Questions

• Do you like raising money, and have you had prior experience raising money for a mission-driven organization?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate my salary up by a little. They were tough - didn't want to budge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Batavia, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (Batavia, NY).

Interview

Was recruited from an internet website. Received a call from the HR Manager and scheduled a brief phone interview. Lots of STAR questions "Tell me of a time..." Was asked back for a second interview, which was a 2-on-1 with an Executive Director and HR Manager. Again, lots of STAR questions. Was offered the position but declined.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer turned my credentials around on me in a negative light and said "When I tell our board of directors I hired someone who worked at X, did Y and doesn't have Z, how would you like me to respond?"   Answer Question

Better job offer elsewhere.

Program Director Interview

Interview

Was recruited through a colleague. Interviewed with board members, several executive directors.