YMCA YMCA Lifeguard Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 26, 2017

1.9

45 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Nicholasville, KY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Nicholasville, KY).

Interview

Very smooth. Phone interview then one on one personal interview... once you were hired there was a "hiring day" where all the employees would come in and out to different tables to fill out paperwork and get their drug test done. One desk would be the contract, one desk would be getting a copy of your ID and SS, one desk would be explaining training's, and one desk would be getting you signed up for extra activities.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Employee in Port Huron, MI

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at YMCA (Port Huron, MI) in September 2016.

Interview

They made the interview more of a normal conversation instead of a company that asks a lot of questions that makes the person feel as if they were being put on the spot.

Anonymous Employee in Edina, MO

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (Edina, MO) in August 2016.

Interview

Take a practice swim test..... Get certified....answer questions about safety. Pass a background test and a drug test. Get offered the position. There were large gaps when they were slow to get back. If you want the job be persistent

Interview Questions

• Why are medical conditions more serious in a swimming pool?   Answer Question

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

It was pretty straight forward, I saw an ad on Craigslist in March and called the aquatics director and told him I was taking a Red Cross lifeguard course in April, he told me to call him back if and when I passed that. Come April I called him back and we meet up about a week later, he gave me a large stack of papers to fill out, and made copies of a lot of my certifications and give me a online sexual harassment course to take. Then he told me he would call me back so I waited about a week and then decided to call him, and he had me come in that day to finish the paperwork and attend an all staff meeting. Then I called again about a week before camp started and he had me come in to tour the camp and fill out more paperwork. Then I called the day before camp to get my schedule and was told I will be working everyday Monday through Friday unless I request a day off (which they are very lenient about). So other than the poor communication and the mountains of paperwork it wasn't bad, and I think I ended up being paid for some of it.

Interview Questions

• Do you work well with children?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in State College, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (State College, PA) in April 2016.

Interview

I did my interview over the phone. It was fairly simple, and just required me to answer not only a couple questions about myself but about lifeguarding itself. They seemed to car more about what I was like vs. anything else.

Interview Questions

• What is the first thing that comes to mind for you to do if we had a large party coming in?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Peyton, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at YMCA (Peyton, CO) in April 2016.

Interview

Was fairly brief. Employer did not seem to care about certs, degrees, or experience. Employer talked about the company feeling like a family and how long she had worked there herself more than do am actual interview. Hiring process was immediately after.

Interview Questions

• What I would expect from my supervisors and co-workers   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at YMCA (Downers Grove, IL) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied through an online application and received an email to conduct a phone interview. Standard information going over my resume. Then I was called in to perform the lifeguard requirements tasks which included laps with different strokes. I took a written test and showed all my certification. I went home and received a phone call a couple days later.

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

If you don't get certified through them you have to perform the test. The test includes swimming 1000 Meters; Performing a rescue for a person without a neck injury; perform a rescue on a person with a neck injury with backboard; carrying a brick 100 Meters;Perform a 15 foot dive while in the water.

If not, its a quick phone call and paper work.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at YMCA (New York, NY) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process was very straightforward. I sent in my resume by email online after seeing an opening on their site. I was contacted about a week later with details concerning the interview date and what I needed to bring. At the interview, I was tested on my swimming, my rescue techniques, cpr, and also my general knowledge and what to do in hypothetical situations. You will need to take a urinalysis drug test and sign for a backround check. About 3 hours long.

Interview Questions

• "What would you do if you were opening up the pool but the other lifeguard was not here yet?"   1 Answer

YMCA Lifeguard Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA.

Interview

Very brief, just asked about my previous experience and why I wanted to work at this location. My resume supported my qualifications which may be why there were not a lot of questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the YMCA?   1 Answer