YMCA YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview Questions | Glassdoor

YMCA YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview Questions

Interviews at YMCA

2.1

Anonymous Employee in Malden, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at YMCA (Malden, MA) in May 2012.

Interview

I applied and had to do a training for a fake camp with other candidates. We had to complete tasks and do reading. They looked at our interaction with others. They had the hiring people pretend to be camp counselors and us the children. We ran around a lot, didn't test our arts and crafts just sports. It was a three day process and completely unnecessary.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Other Interview Reviews for YMCA

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at YMCA (San Jose, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Group interviews with an emphasis on problem solving. The air of the whole place was very casual, and was easy to get into. They stressed the idea of group problem solving rather than individual problem solving. The higher ups looked at groups for hiring, and some of the individuals that were very good got looked over because they were not team players.

Interview Questions

• How would you(with your group of 4) respond to a child that is misbehaving in the program?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Stoughton, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Stoughton, MA) in April 2011.

Interview

It is a group Interview process. They gather you together in a group and have you do team building exercises. When I first applied, we sat in a circle and each shared why we wanted to work for the company. It was very relaxed and fun. I have worked for the Y every summer for five summers, so this process was back in 2009. The interview process has likely changed since then.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at the Y?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA (Boston, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

There was a formal application that needed to be filled in and turned in followed by a brief phone conversation. Additionally two references were required by the employer. However, for the people who had been at/ or worked at the camp in the past, the decision was based on your past preformance

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work in the segment of the camp that you applied for?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Woodbury, NJ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Woodbury, NJ) in May 2012.

Interview

The process was a 1 day interview with a waiting period for a callback. You either received a callback or you did not based on if they accepted you. The process was overall easy, if you enjoy working with kids and answer questions logically you will receive a callback in a day or two.

Interview Questions

• How you ever worked with children before?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, IL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at YMCA (O'Fallon, IL) in April 2014.

Interview

One interview inside the camp directors office. Pretty relaxed interview, just basic Q & A and situational questions (I.e. If a kid was missing from your group, how would you go about finding him/her) I was told I was hired on the spot and filled out my paperwork the same day.

Interview Questions

• If a child was injured while on the bus going to a field trip, how would you help the child while keeping the children on the bus calm?   Answer Question

YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA in April 2014.

Interview

After applying online, I was emailed about a week or two later asking that I put my named down to participate in a group interview. I do not do very well in groups, but luckily there was only about five other people there. The interview itself didn't last for that long and the people are really nice. They asked pretty simple questions and the good thing about group interviews is that if someone offers to answer a question first, it gives you more time to think about the answer while other people go ahead. All in all, the process was pretty fast and simple

Interview Questions

• No questions were that difficult, but this was my second interview at the YMCA so they all ask the same questions (especially if you are going for a counselor position). The only question that trumped me was one about my most creative ideas and me not being the most creative when it comes to certain things, did stump me. That was just me though; others might do fine.   Answer Question

YMCA Summer Camp Counselor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at YMCA in May 2013.

Interview

Pretty easy, the manager seemed very desperate for help and was very grateful that I was available. I just didn't like how sporadic the schedule was since I had another job. I learned a lot, it was my first time actually taking care of multiple children. however, would have loved to have more training on how to handle children with behavioral issues.

Anonymous Employee in Lockport, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at YMCA (Lockport, NY) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process for this positions was somewhat informal. I spoke one-on-one with my potential employer mostly about the requirements of the job. Most of the questions were personality-based, with the majority of job skills being taught during job training.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

This company does not negotiate for this position.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at YMCA (Washington, DC) in May 2013.

Interview

It is a group/panel interview. You go in a room with multiple applicants (about 3) and have about 4 employers alternating asking questions. It is a bit nerve wrecking knowing that you have to try to impress not just one, but multiple employers. It was added pressure which made the interview a little more difficult. You also are required to take a swim test but your results don't determine hiring eligibility, just where you may be placed if hired as a counselor.

Interview Questions

• If a child lost their sock at camp and the parent came back asking questions and wanting to know how they lost it, a seemingly a bit upset, how would you respond or react?   Answer Question