Yahoo Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2009.

Interview

HR interview
Hiring Manager interview
Team interview
HR calls back if hiring manager is interested.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

any first offer HR gives, they are ready to go upto 10% without effort...so ask for 15%-20% more.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo in March 2014.

Interview

To put in one sentence - Interviewing at Yahoo! is just waste of your time. Don't do it unless you have nothing better to do. I had 2 phone screens. The first one was simple coding questions and the second one was just a casual chat with the hiring manager. It took them 3 weeks to do these interviews. After that, I was invited onsite to speak with 5/6 people. Again, 3 weeks to get this one scheduled. I cleared this interview and was told by HR that she would present my case to the hiring committee. After 2 weeks, I was told that the hiring committee had rejected. WTF! - rejected for what ? clearing all interviews with the team? The process took 8+ weeks. One funny thing though - in almost each email - HR would ask me to let her know if I had changed my mind re: joining Yahoo!. I mean, do you really want to join Yahoo! or not?

Interview Questions

• Coding, projects I had worked on, some problems which the team was working on, etc. nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in January 2014.

Interview

well received and well organized. tough questions due to difficult position asked in this position. pity I could not visit the full company. pity also I could not understand the whole process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Cupertino, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

The overall interview process is great. The questions are very straight forward, prepare to talk about your experience and why are you looking to work for the company. The interview process takes about two week.

Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2010.

Interview

Interviewed with another member of the team via phone. Was able to cover most of the language questions without too much difficulty, but then began to trip on questions about design patterns and specific algorithms. Unfortunately most of the jobs that I've had have been pretty elementary in terms of code design and usage, and so I was less prepared for that than I should have been. Did not get a request for a 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• What are the differences between a linked list and an array?   Answer Question
    • What's the difference between passing by reference and passing by value?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in January 2010.

Interview

manager is not good but the rest of the team asked proper questions

Interview Questions

• How would you know the highest value using binary?   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Interview

initial communication is very fast. Time between initial approach and the interview is very fast. I liked the way they were so committed to the timeliness.

There was initially a phone interview followed by onsite one. Onsite has 4-5 interviews, generally covering wide range of topics like programming skills, problem solving ability, puzzles and some design questions.

Interview Questions

• How to detect a common node given two linked lists??   2 Answers

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo in March 2008.

Interview

Overall, it was a good experience. The on-site recruiter was very helpful and prompt on communication.
    Phone interviews and face to face interviews are mostly on the technology and skills. The interviews are very objective. It can be tough, if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Interview process consisted several phone interviews, with different people. Yahoo! is very careful on inviting people for face to face interview, at least that was my feeling. The face to face interviews can be lengthy, be well rested and prepared before the interview.

Interview Questions

• None of the questions I felt very difficult. But, the interviewers are very knowledgeable.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary and bonus are negotiable, but in a limited scale. Instead, if you are planning stay with Yahoo, try to get stock option instead. Since the stock price is low, ask on dollar amount. I could see the stock price go up in the next couple of years.

Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo in February 2010.

Interview

Got the email and then they scheduled the interview onsite. I was very excited after getting offer from Yahoo. My interview was good. They asked some questions from Perl and MySql. I was pretty comfortable in this. Something went wrong and they didn't offer.

Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2010.

Interview

Initial phone interview was about 40 minutes and was mostly basic Java programming questions.
    On site interview had five interviewers including hiring manager and senior member of the group. Many questions were related to describing / pseudo coding various search algorithms.

Interview Questions

• describe and compare the following page replacement policies: FIFO, LRU, LFU, Clock.   Answer Question