Yahoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2017

515 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Recruiter contacted over LinkedIn. Scheduled initial phone screen tech interview. But, they did not call me on the scheduled time, rescheduled again, didn't call again, rescheduled again and finally called on the 3rd time. The person who interviewed me was rude, seemed like he was in hurry to get the interview done just for the sake of it. If you don't have the time to take the interview in a professional manner, why waste the time of candidate?
    I believe I gave the answer to the question they asked including edge-cases, still got a rejection email saying they wanted to hire someone with more coding experience. Not writing this review because I didn't get selected for next round of interview, but purely because of the bad experience I had with the interview process.
    Totally a negative experience, just like using their app and website.

Delivery Driver Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

it was too easy as a normal interview ,easy ,fast , clear questions i mean not complicated , its helpful for anyone to have chance to work ,i like that kind of interviews it's like a game for me

Interview Questions

• they asked me about my gender   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter reached out and told me that he would like to put resume for a review where hiring managers from different teams will meet and might pick up your resume. A week later I was told my resume was picked by Yahoo Membership team and they want to schedule a technical phone screen.

Phone screen was pretty simple, was asked to reverse linked list in group of k's on coder pad and few basic Javascript and html/css concepts. Interview went well . At the end of the call he asked me to tell my approach how to solve source destination / boarding pass problem.

Recruiter whom I talked prior to my interview was very professional, however interviewer seemed bit off, he showed no interest in talking about my past or current experience and didn't answer any of my questions that I asked about Yahoo.

A day later I received mail from recruiter that he had a little trouble tracking down the feedback, but he was able to receive an answer and Unfortunately, they have decided that my profile isn't the best fit for the team's needs.

Interview Questions

• Reverse linked list in group , what would you say about performance of document.getElementByID, what is event bubbling? how document.create works ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was one on one in the Yahoo office in New York. The interviewer was very chill and asked one coding question and some questions about streaming data. The interview went on for 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• Find all combinations of numbers in a given array that add up to a given number.   Answer Question

Lead Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

WORST ON-SITE INTERVIEW of my career - interviewers trying to find fault in your code/knowledge and turning out to be wrong about half the things themselves ! WASTED SEVERAL days. Highly unprofessional, probably even unethical...
    0) Was contacted by their HR about the lead position in the Tripod SDK team (Flickr derivative)
    1) Phone screen went very well (coding question: find closest common ancestor in BST) & I established great rapport with manager & role seemed very interesting
    2) Then they asked me to do a coding assignment which they claimed would take 4 hrs.
    It actually took 12+ hours to do & was obvious from start that it was much bigger than 4 hrs but I still did it 'cos I was that interested in the role.
    Am I slow? See for yourself: Write an Android app that:
        i) searches Flickr for images whose metadata matches a string
        ii) Parses the search results, constructing URLs based on multiple size criteria and fetching those images from their CDN. This requires understanding their API docs and using multiple APIs
        iii) shows the images in an infinite scrolling view (involves repeating the above search-fetchImage steps as the user keeps scrolling, maintaining scroll state etc - not trivial)
        iv) Implements swipe-to-refresh on top of the RecyclerView
        v) Has a LightBox mode that opens when the user clicks an image and this shows a full screen version of image
        vi) Lightbox mode has a Download button which fetches the ORIGINAL size image from Flickr (which needs a separate API call and more doc reading & coding)
        vii) Lightbox mode has an "Open in Flickr" button
        viii) Handles orientation changes well in all cases
        ix) A bunch of other features that were not minimum required and which I didn't bother with
        x) All of the above should be well architected, have good UX, handle multithreading well, etc etc

3) I wrote it, made a bunch of hacks/compromises in code for the sake of reducing coding time and clearly documented these shortcuts indicating how they should be done in production. I tested the code, tested UX, it works buttery smooth, works for ALL scenarios I tested, handles orientation, etc etc. It just. Works. Well.
    On submitting the code, I got rejected with ZERO feedback.
    4) I then mailed them asking for feedback and explaining my design goals. They then "re-considered" and asked me to alternatively do another phone screen and come for a longer on-site. I agreed but still pressed for feedback on my code.
    5) I got totally vague and lame feedback like "ViewPagerAdapter handling of the items" and "some minor leaks" - those are the exact words. It looked more like someone evading saying anything at all for fear of making it obvious that they had made a hasty judgement about code they didn't like / understand.
    6) The 2nd phone screen went great (again)
    7) I went to the onsite, in which the 1st session was an hour of code review with a panel of 3 devs + the manager.
    Somwehere in the first 20 mins of that, one dev (asking most of the questions) claimed "the code won't work if user presses the back button & comes back..." - I demo'd that case in the app (obviously they hadn't even run the code) and it worked perfectly fine.
    8) Then further down he made a claim that it won't handle a rare corner case scenario well and spent the next ten mins arguing back-n-forth about it, blatantly telling me "No it won't save instance data" / "No the bundle will be null" etc. Hardly a manner to conduct an interview in.
    I was almost certain he was wrong again (later checking the docs online confirmed it) and since I realized my entire interview outcome hinged on being judged on little pet items like these, I did argue back and got increasingly flustered in the process and finally had to concede that I MAY not know enough about that scenario...
    9) Next, he seemingly found a problem in handling another rare scenario (system killing an app under memory pressure) - which again I explained would work totally fine except that the app would re-fetch 100s of KB of data from the net (you see that as an issue? A single image is MBs of data)
    10) By the end of this round, it became pretty clear to me that this interview was not about assessing me but more about finding reasons to reject me (probably since I'd earlier criticized their cursorily dismissive code review process).

Interview Questions

• Find first common ancestor of a BST   1 Answer

Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me to set up a phone interview. Phone interview consisted of android questions and 1 leet code medium question. I was then invited for onsite interview. There were 3 technical rounds, 1 lunch round and 1 coding challenge where you have to develop an app in 3 hours. Technical rounds consisted of system design and coding questions. I did well in those rounds. I was rejected because I could not complete the app. It is a simple app to fetch data from server and display in the app. I completed the implementation but the app was not working due to some issues. They were expecting a proper working app. Overall It was a good experience. The recruiter was nice and she told me the feedback after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Develop an android app in 3 hours   2 Answers

Senior Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First telephonic with hiring manager then another video call pure technical. Overall the process was ok but it took two week for just first interview. Job description was not what is asked in interview. But being Yahoo it was expected that they require strong data structure knowledge.

Interview Questions

• write a code for binary tree with serialize and deserialize function (python or java). Bash script question   Answer Question

Site Reliability Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted by a HR, a phone screen interview was scheduled a week later. The interviewer was kind. He told me about the role and asked me some questions on my previous experience and then a few linux commands, on stuff I am familiar with and 2 coding questions. He also gave me a feedback, he said he was satisfied with the answers and he liked one of my solutions alot. Unfortunately, 2 days later I got a reject and the HR said that they hired someone else.

Interview Questions

• If I have to find all files which are similar in a directory, which command should I use and later he asked how that command would internally work.
      Given an array with each element repeated once except one, find that one and optimize the solution - both space and time.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

Interview

A phone interview made after campus career fair. Interviewed by a senior software developer. First, he introduced his team and then asked me some technical questions. Last for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to serialize and deserialize a binary tree.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It consisted of a 2 round process. The first was over the phone. The second was over google hangouts where I got to interact with a great team. It was mostly behavioral based.

Interview Questions

• Understanding why you want to work with yahoo, and why that work would matter to you   Answer Question