Yahoo Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Jan 11, 2018
1,043 Interview Reviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo in May 2017.

Interview

I applied by university recruiting program. It is a 30-minute phone interview. The question is not difficult. But the phone signal is not very good. So I didn't pass it.

Interview Questions

• level-order traversal of a binary tree.   1 Answer

Software Developer Interview

Interview

A phone interview made after campus career fair. Interviewed by a senior software developer. First, he introduced his team and then asked me some technical questions. Last for about an hour.

Interview Questions

• Design an algorithm to serialize and deserialize a binary tree.   1 Answer

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and then they made arrangements to fly me to Yahoo Headquarters for in-person interviews. I had 4 in-person interviews on campus. I met with hiring manager and also people on the team that I may work with. Everyone was very professional.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It consisted of a 2 round process. The first was over the phone. The second was over google hangouts where I got to interact with a great team. It was mostly behavioral based.

Interview Questions

• Understanding why you want to work with yahoo, and why that work would matter to you   Answer Question

Accountant Interview

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It was very conversational. Very friendly and nice people made me feel comfortable. Questions were ordinary and they asked about excel. Overall the interview was good and it was not very difficult.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewer had some borderline rude comments towards the end.

Told the interviewer my java was rusty and my first language is Python
    He asked me to write code in java and in the end complained about my bad java - d-uh

As far as my performance goes, I was thinking in the right direction, but the final solution - although complete (pseduo-code complete w/o edge case handling) was not the optimal one. It was still linear though.
    So I accept that my performance may not have been that good , but I gave my best and my solution was not that
    bad! I am telling you this because it was NOT as a bad an attempt as the interviewer made it sound like with his "borderline" rude comments towards the end!

I liked the question but I felt the interviewer could have been a bit more polite by stopping me in the middle and ending the interview if he wasn't happy with my code at all. Would have saved us both some time. I postponed an important task because of this interview.

Just a day before this interview I had an interview with a "leading" tech company that primarily works with java, but they were okay with me writing my code in python and they just wanted to make me feel comfortable while I developed my logic. I actually ended up going to the next round with them.
    Its literally in my resume that i have been working with only Python for about 1.5 years now.. all you have to do is read!
    What really pissed me off were the borderline rude comments by the interviewer about how bad my java is. All other interviewers I have had , even the bad ones, weren't this rude.
    But to stay professional, i apologized to him in a follow up mail about my "bad" java and pointed him to a paper I had published because he asked for it. In hindsight, I feel the extra bit of professionalism from my side was a waste of time because he did not even bother replying.

So thats my Yahoo interviewing experience for you
    My friends told me Yahoo wasn't worth interviewing for, and I confirmed it. Never again!

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I managed a referral from one of the employee at Yahoo, Champaign. Recruiter contacted with me for phone interview and then we had to attend onsite interview at Champaign, IL. The onsite interview had three techincal sessions and one session with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• We have a reservoir of numbers or range of numbers in [a,b]. Write a Program that will return the minimum of the numbers out of the reservoir and remove that very number from the reservoir. At any point of time, values that were queried and taken off from the reservoir might be put back to the reservoir.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by an HR and had a short 20-30 min conversation to discuss my interests. My Resume was then shared with managers from the Yahoo Mail team and in about 3-4 days I received an email to schedule my interview with an engineer from Yahoo.

The technical interview was ridiculous! The interviewer asked me the Producer/Consumer problem and was expecting an answer in a specific method. Any change in the method was critically questioned/opposed. The interviewer at the end started ridiculing me by asking "how many years of experience you said you have?", "You didn't get a promotion in your company?", "What did you work on in these years?", .. The interview obviously did not go well.

Advice to Yahoo: Trying to prove you are better than other engineers does not help anyone. Kindly learn some basic interview etiquettes!

Everyone else: Avoid interviewing/joining the Yahoo mail team.

Interview Questions

• Producer / Consumer problem   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Two rounds phone interviews, first is about basic algorithms and data structures questions. Second round is related to the C++ and parallel programming, not easy for an free graduate students

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

One day long:

Mixture of probability questions and coding. Coding was simpler that some other places. just linked list, arrays, and trees. No DP. Probability questions were mostly easy. Some tricky though. The last interview was more into technical details of a subject that was specialty of interviewer. It was fast and a bit aggressive.

Interview Questions

• - Write order traversal using stacks (not machine's and recursively).
      - Three sum with dulicates.
      - Finding array's max range in O(N).   1 Answer