Yahoo Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

3.1

25 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Lead Android Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

WORST ON-SITE INTERVIEW of my career - interviewers trying to find fault in your code/knowledge and turning out to be wrong about half the things themselves ! WASTED SEVERAL days. Highly unprofessional, probably even unethical...
    0) Was contacted by their HR about the lead position in the Tripod SDK team (Flickr derivative)
    1) Phone screen went very well (coding question: find closest common ancestor in BST) & I established great rapport with manager & role seemed very interesting
    2) Then they asked me to do a coding assignment which they claimed would take 4 hrs.
    It actually took 12+ hours to do & was obvious from start that it was much bigger than 4 hrs but I still did it 'cos I was that interested in the role.
    Am I slow? See for yourself: Write an Android app that:
        i) searches Flickr for images whose metadata matches a string
        ii) Parses the search results, constructing URLs based on multiple size criteria and fetching those images from their CDN. This requires understanding their API docs and using multiple APIs
        iii) shows the images in an infinite scrolling view (involves repeating the above search-fetchImage steps as the user keeps scrolling, maintaining scroll state etc - not trivial)
        iv) Implements swipe-to-refresh on top of the RecyclerView
        v) Has a LightBox mode that opens when the user clicks an image and this shows a full screen version of image
        vi) Lightbox mode has a Download button which fetches the ORIGINAL size image from Flickr (which needs a separate API call and more doc reading & coding)
        vii) Lightbox mode has an "Open in Flickr" button
        viii) Handles orientation changes well in all cases
        ix) A bunch of other features that were not minimum required and which I didn't bother with
        x) All of the above should be well architected, have good UX, handle multithreading well, etc etc

3) I wrote it, made a bunch of hacks/compromises in code for the sake of reducing coding time and clearly documented these shortcuts indicating how they should be done in production. I tested the code, tested UX, it works buttery smooth, works for ALL scenarios I tested, handles orientation, etc etc. It just. Works. Well.
    On submitting the code, I got rejected with ZERO feedback.
    4) I then mailed them asking for feedback and explaining my design goals. They then "re-considered" and asked me to alternatively do another phone screen and come for a longer on-site. I agreed but still pressed for feedback on my code.
    5) I got totally vague and lame feedback like "ViewPagerAdapter handling of the items" and "some minor leaks" - those are the exact words. It looked more like someone evading saying anything at all for fear of making it obvious that they had made a hasty judgement about code they didn't like / understand.
    6) The 2nd phone screen went great (again)
    7) I went to the onsite, in which the 1st session was an hour of code review with a panel of 3 devs + the manager.
    Somwehere in the first 20 mins of that, one dev (asking most of the questions) claimed "the code won't work if user presses the back button & comes back..." - I demo'd that case in the app (obviously they hadn't even run the code) and it worked perfectly fine.
    8) Then further down he made a claim that it won't handle a rare corner case scenario well and spent the next ten mins arguing back-n-forth about it, blatantly telling me "No it won't save instance data" / "No the bundle will be null" etc. Hardly a manner to conduct an interview in.
    I was almost certain he was wrong again (later checking the docs online confirmed it) and since I realized my entire interview outcome hinged on being judged on little pet items like these, I did argue back and got increasingly flustered in the process and finally had to concede that I MAY not know enough about that scenario...
    9) Next, he seemingly found a problem in handling another rare scenario (system killing an app under memory pressure) - which again I explained would work totally fine except that the app would re-fetch 100s of KB of data from the net (you see that as an issue? A single image is MBs of data)
    10) By the end of this round, it became pretty clear to me that this interview was not about assessing me but more about finding reasons to reject me (probably since I'd earlier criticized their cursorily dismissive code review process).

Interview Questions

• Find first common ancestor of a BST   2 Answers

Senior Production Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

First telephonic with hiring manager then another video call pure technical. Overall the process was ok but it took two week for just first interview. Job description was not what is asked in interview. But being Yahoo it was expected that they require strong data structure knowledge.

Interview Questions

• write a code for binary tree with serialize and deserialize function (python or java). Bash script question   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Yahoo Flickr team !!

Recruiter screen > Two technical phone screen > on-site

They ask you all typical leetcode coding problems. Till phone screen it was absolutely perfect. On the final on-site day, the last interviewer was so weird that he insisted on using the same approach for a problem as mentioned on leetcode.

He even suggested me to spend time on leetcode and memorize the solutions.

No doubt why no one wants to Join them. Sinking ship.

After on-site they don't have the courtesy to send you an official email about rejection.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First of all, explain one of my projects to the interviewer. After that I was asked about some computer Science basic knowledge. And it ends with two sections of coding

Interview Questions

• knowledge: difference between Thread and Process, between ArrayList and LinkedList; Web attacks;
      code: an array with only 0s and 1s, put 0s on the left, 1s on the right;
                an array with 0s, 1s, and 2s, put 0s on left, 1s on middle, and 2s on right   1 Answer

UX Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

It was a Skype interview since I was in NY and they are in SF. One of the senior UX researcher interviewed me. She was very friendly and easy going. She complimented on my resume and made me feel good about myself.

Interview Questions

• Describe a problem you faced in a research project and how you dealt with it   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Asked some coding questions. You answer them in whatever language you choose on a text editor. If you get questions right you are given more and asked for runtimes.

Interview Questions

• How can you find the greatest possible product of multiplying three numbers in a list?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I was interviewing with Yahoo San Francisco office from 10:30am - 3:30pm. There were four rounds for onsite interview. One system design, one database design and two algorithm problems. All interviewers are really nice and try to lead the candidate into the right direction. They focus on how you approach the problem and how deep you know about the website architecture through the questions.

Interview Questions

• 1. How to design an Amazon shopping cart that users can access their order cross the device?
      2. Find a target value in a binary tree recursively and iteratively.
      3. Design a Twitter newsfeed and relationship database schema and answer some querys, ex: find the most 10 tweets from close friends.
      4. Two Sum problem.   Answer Question

Software Engineer DevOps Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

I attended only one round as I was not selected in that.
    It was more like a networking type devops, he asked me questions about networking very basic, few CI/CD, few version control, few config management related.

few unix

If you have good knowledge you can crack it mostly basics

it was a 30 minutes interview

Interview Questions

• 1)how did you use tcp dump
      2)how do you do merging with jenkins and git   Answer Question

Front End Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter and scheduled an interview. Interview was scheduled for a week later. The day before the interview was scheduled the recruiter contacted me to cancel. No reason was given.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process took 3 weeks. The first week I had a phone screen with a non-technical recruiter. The following week I had a technical interview via phone. After the third week, I heard back that the interview went well, but there wasn't a fit for my skill set at the time.

Interview Questions

• Talk about previous projects.
      Algorithm question that didn't involve any complex data structure knowledge.   Answer Question