Yahoo Senior Research Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Senior Research Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

4.5

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

The entire process took about 3 weeks. The communication was perfect, beyond perfect. I've interviewed at many top tech firms in terms of reputation and opportunity. Yahoo! was an exception. The recruiter guided me through each step. I knew from the very beginning the timeframe which was then continuously updated. There was no mystery. No weird subcommittees and internal processes I wasn't privilege to. It was all crystal clear.

It is the first time in my entire work-life experience that I have met a recruiter who was working with me towards an excellent package that was also fair to the current employees. The recruiter and I had a collaborative relationship. I will now hire and look forward to working with this recruiter on the other side of the table. I never could have anticipated how beyond the team, manager, and vision, the recruiter would contribute so highly to my positive outlook of the culture in the organization.

I loved the honesty of everyone there, and the great energy I met when I interviewed. Everyone I met on the team was extraordinarily professional, fully engaged, and creative around their interview questions. I knew I wanted to work with every single person in my interview loop on real problems and research. There was such a good energy, people seem all compelled to have impact in a healthy collaborative way. It is also a real equal opportunity company. Truly impressive.

Interview Questions

• I had advanced software engineering questions from two technical interviewers, but the questions were well structured and fairly assessed my ability to structure and write code in an R+D environment. The worst is when you're in a technical interview and the technical interviewer has something to prove for whatever reason. This couldn't be further from the case at Yahoo! Even on the technical side, I was being tested as to my ability to collaborative meaningfully on technical topics while maintaining a high level of individual contribution. Whether the question was about software or other topics, the intention from the interviewer was always the right one.   Answer Question

Negotiation

The recruiter was so good and the hiring manager is so fantastic, that I did trust they would design a perfect package. And they did! It was such a nice process, there was no game to play, just explaining what I am making and what other offers I have. They used that information to create a competitive package.

I did not have to negotiate, except for the relocation (but the recruiter was excellent at understanding and assessing my needs, therefore that was easy).

I had excellent other competitive offers that I turned down, most of them because the culture was not the right one (one of them because the salary was too low). I totally was impressed by the Yahoo! culture from the beginning to the end of the interview process.

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Senior Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in October 2016.

Interview

It was a long, whole-day interview. I was expecting to give a talk about some topic that is related to my research. Before and after I met 6-7 research scientists or programmers who were asking various questions related to ML topics. The interviewers were really friendly and helpful. I got free food, coffee and cakes.

Interview Questions

• online learning, large-scale learning, coding in java, ML solutions mainly related to some information retrieval   1 Answer