Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Oct 2, 2016

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Intense 4 hour coding interview with 4 different teams. The test questions were quite good while the overall process was questionable. However, the recruiter (or hiring agency) and Yahoo refused to provide for travel experiences. I would not agree to interview with them again unless I was local and did not have to fly or drive for the onsite interview. I would highly recommend out of state candidates and others to avoid interviewing with this company.

Interview Questions

• Write a jQuery based game to move pieces on a web site "board."   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo in August 2016.

Interview

One phone round of technical questions for 30 min. Followed by in-person interview for 4 hrs.
    3 Technical rounds of 1 hr and then followed by lunch and then 1 behavioral /HR round. It was very professional and followed back on interview feedback quickly.

Interview Questions

• what are three difficult problems that you faced earlier at work place and how did you tackle them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

0. Call from HR/Recruiter/Hiring Manager (not technical)
    1. Technical Phone Interview
    2. On-Site Interview
      a) 6 rounds

Technical phone screens are easy coding on shared doc
    On Site is fun.
    I met 6 interviewers, tour the campus, had free food. :)
    The response is pretty slow. They have panels reviewing each candidate and usually takes 2 weeks for initial feedback and then more before you get the offer.
    I got another offer before they extended one, 3 weeks after the interview, hence I declined.

Interview Questions

• - Matrix path finding problem
      - Binary search in a Matrix
      - System design - Pub-Sub
      - String manipulation
      - Implement a hash map

There's always a twist at the end of the question. Be prepared for it
      1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

You will be greeted by the First interviewer and will have series for interviews on that day. Some will be to the point and others will be more friendly. The interview process will be for an entire day. This is assuming you have gone through the phone screen. Recruiter will be quite helpful with any questions you have and will also help in preparing you for the interview.
    Experience can be different depending on the team you are interviewing with. If you are applying for a specific position then It's mostly people from that team who will interview you. For new college grad, interviews are conducted from a common pool and placed in different teams.
    Since in my case I was interviewed by the people in the team it helped me to understand how each of them are and how they behave and ask questions and if we are compatible and can work with each other. Point being you don't want to work with morons.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures and coding
      Databases
      Design and architecture
      Algorithms
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Yahoo recruiters and HR team are very unprofessional. The good reputation of Yahoo brand is getting ruined because of these people. I understand they have been processing so many applications per day but it is basic courtesy to respond to applicants with (whatever it may be) interview result. In my case they said I would receive offer, its almost 6 months still no response.

Recruiter contacted me and said he is impressed with my background so asked if I would consider joining Yahoo. I was not interested initially to switch company; because of Yahoo brand and team that I supposed to work seems doing something I wanted to do so I agreed to proceed further. He arranged telephonic interview, which went very well with a coding exercise and technical talk. Then few days later they have arranged on site interview and totally 6 people interviewed me. There were few coding and system design related questions. And there were behavioral related questions also. Everything went well. Team was awesome and they seemed very happy. Interview was average difficult mostly questions are related to my domain. I had to take a day off for this interview.
    Few days later recruiter contacted me and said team was happy with my performance so they wanted to proceed with offer. At this time my application moved to HR department. HR representative contacted me and gathered all details which are required to prepare offer package. I had to wait 2 to 3 weeks after this step to further call from HR; HR said hiring committee still didn’t review the package. I had to take another telephonic interview!! It is nominal procedure for all senior engineers. No one told me about this before. I was surprised even while in the process of getting offer, they wanted to have another round of interview!! What kind of process it is? In between I talked to a director of another group; it looks like they have changed the group where I supposed to work.
    HR said someone would call me for the final telephonic interview. I waited few weeks and lost interest got busy in my current job . Few times I send email to HR and Recruiter to check what happened, no response. I thought yahoo was going through some re-org (Alibaba stock spin off etc) so delay could be because of that. But it doesn’t seem as other candidates in other group were getting offers.

I emailed them recently but there was no response. Seriously!! how much time it takes just to respond. I was happy even if you would have said this position is closed so can't give offer than just ignoring emails. Hope this will be helpful to others so they could expect what would happen in worst case. Don’t resign your current position thinking Yahoo could give you offer. Even they say they would that’s simply not true until the offer package is in your hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It is my opinion that Yahoo is extremely disorganized. That there is little trust from higher ups and from my experience, no one seems to know what is going on. Specially if you are applying for a team that was part of a recently acquired startup, higher ups have little trust or faith in their hiring managers picking candidates. If you're a good engineer I would suggest trying other tech companies. I applied to Yahoo in July 2015 and they managed to waste two months of my life.

Here is my story:
    I got a phone call from one of their hiring managers a few days after I applied. He asked me some general technical questions which I answered. He then set up a second technical phone screen with one of his engineers for the following week. They called me on time and we conducted the second technical phone interview. The challenge was to code up a simple Javascript game with another engineer watching. After I got that one done I was invited for an on site interview. At this point I got in touch with a recruiter which asked me what day would work best for me, after I gave her my preferred schedule, she organized my on site interview a week after that, without even double checking with me.

I didn't have anything going on for that date so I figure she probably confused one Friday with another. Anyways I show up for the on site and get interviewed by five engineers. This is was the most pleasant part of the process. The engineers I talked to were friendly, knowledgeable and professional. There were two coding questions and three design related ones. I answered every single question to the best of my knowledge and the people who were interviewing me seemed to be happy.

After the interview was done I met with the recruiter who was responsible for recruiting for the team that I was interviewing for. This guy was different than the woman who I originally talked to for the on site interview. he took me out to URLs (Yahoo's cafeteria) and told me the interviewers were happy with my performance and there is high chance of moving my application forward with the hiring committee. He then told me he was an amazing recruiter and that he has never had anyone rejected by the hiring committee after he was done with their offer proposal. He then gave me his personal phone number and told me that he is going to call me soon.

A week later he called me and told me that the feedback from everyone was positive and that Yahoo will move my application forward to the hiring committee. He told me this would take some time as higher ups and more specifically Marissa Mayer has to sign off on every new hire. I was told I can expect to hear from them in two weeks.

Then I notice the position I had applied for was being advertised again on LinkedIn. I called the recruiter and asked him "How is the process on my application is coming along." He literally yelled at me and said " I'm your goddamn recruiter, I don't process applications." Then he said I will call you later

"We are going to to need another technical phone interview." why do we another interview, I asked him. I had gone through two phone screens and a full day of on site interviews with "highly positive feedback" according to you. I am currently employed and cannot keep taking time off to conduct more interview He said "This is normal and 1/3 of candidates have to go through it."

We set up a technical phone interview. I get the call and we conduct the interview. The guy interviewing me is professional and knowledgeable but has no idea why he is interviewing me. He says they called him yesterday and told him he needs to interview someone. He asks me two general coding questions which I answer correctly. He seems happy with the result and he hangs up.

At this point I know there is no reason to call the recruiter because he has no interest in talking to me. However the hiring manager that originally contacted me was always prompt and friendly in his response. So I email him and ask him if we're done? The recruiter calls me ten minutes later and tells me that I did not do well on the last technical phone interview and that we were not going to move forward with the offer.

I was fairly disappointed when I heard that, even though I knew it was coming. It is my opinion, the last out of nowhere phone interview was not to gauge my abilities as an engineer, it was for the hiring committee to sink my application without having to tell the seven other people who interviewed me, "We don't trust your judgment, and have no faith in your ability to form a team."

Anyways, It's now Oct 29th 2015. I have a feeling I will look back at this in a few months (if not weeks) and see it as a blessing in disguise.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Extreme slow hiring process, recuiter's work is not professional and not efficient. Recruiter forward my resume to the team. Then the engineer contacted me directly, and arranged the interview. It was wired that the recuiter did not do that.

Interview Questions

• Regular algorithm question   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was referred to Yahoo! by a friend after which the hiring manager reached out to me with regards to an opening in a team which sounded really interesting. Instead of the usual telephone chat, I decided to walk into Yahoo HQ. We had an hour long conversation/interview where we primarily spoke about issues one would face writing software on linux platforms - OOM killer, cgroups, /proc. I felt this to be one of the best conversations.

After this, I was called onsite. For Yahoo!, this moved pretty quick. The hiring manager made a very sincere effort to hasten the onsite process. I met 3 people for my onsite.

++ Onsite 1 ++
    In a client/server scenario, serialize/de-serialize a balanced binary tree which is to be sent from the client to the server.
    Linux system programming fundamentals including /proc filesystem, OOM killer

++ Onsite 2 ++
    Linux system fundamentals - more /proc filesystem based questions
    Structure of a binary (assuming ELF) on Linux.
    Programmatically print the offset of a member inside a variable of struct type.
    Virtual Memory fundamentals

++ Onsite 3 ++
    Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.

Interview Questions

It wasn't a written offer. Yahoo! moves very slowly to send out a written offer after an onsite interview. This has come about after the introduction of a Googlesque hiring committee. For the hiring manager to get back to me after running the decision through the hiring committee would have taken anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I already had 2 other offers and had to make a choice. If it wasn't for this delay, I would have most certainly accepted Yahoo's offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted via email to arrange a phone interview a few days later. The interview consistent for frequent communication problems, but not because of the phone. In fact, the interviewer spoke poor English and was very difficult to understand. When I mentioned I was having trouble understand him, he would just repeat himself, which usually ended up being very broken English or total gibberish. After attempting to field a single technical question, I decided this was not a manager I could communicate with and ended the interview. Also note, I was only informed of the need for a computer after the interview had started -- we never got to the coding as I ended the interview early.

Interview Questions

• The most difficult part was understanding what the interviewer was saying.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Monica, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Two phone screens - one involved live coding in a shared doc.
    Then an on-site interview with several engineers. Lots of writing code on whiteboards. It was long and thorough, but not uncomfortable. Everyone was pretty friendly and supportive.

As someone who later conducted interviews there, I can tell you that they want you to succeed. Although you may or may not be a good fit for the specific role that they are trying to fill.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to write JavaScript code for a carousel widget.   1 Answer