Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 11, 2017

3.2

41 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2013.

Interview

Phone screenings - 2
On premise - 3 technical rounds, Hiring Manager and HR round. Each round was for an hour. The technical round was more on problem-solving and some questions from my past projects. All got closed in a day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Intense 4 hour coding interview with 4 different teams. The test questions were quite good while the overall process was questionable. However, the recruiter (or hiring agency) and Yahoo refused to provide for travel experiences. I would not agree to interview with them again unless I was local and did not have to fly or drive for the onsite interview. I would highly recommend out of state candidates and others to avoid interviewing with this company.

Interview Questions

• Write a jQuery based game to move pieces on a web site "board."   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo in February 2017.

Interview

first interview was a phone interview; it wasn't terribly hard in concept but it was challenging given the number of problems that were asked to me over phone in 30 mins or so. one of the questions was a data structure question, another 2 were design pattern questions; of which one of them focussed on multi threaded implementation and another on general object oriented design.

They were prompt in responding and was invited onsite; Onsite interviews were moderately hard technically but were extremely challenging given the number of questions that are asked in a single interview session; had total of 5 1:1, which included a lunch interview. there was never a moment during my onsite where I was at ease, I was constantly writing code on white board, one after another. Lot of focus is given to your thought process, ability to improvise, identify issues with scenarios that are described to you and so on. I would recommend preparing well for onsites, it is not just your knowledge that will be tested but also your speed and ability to switch context from one topic to another.

Interview Questions

• various questions on design patterns, various questions on multi threading concepts, various questions on web service development, etc   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

I was referred to Yahoo! by a friend after which the hiring manager reached out to me with regards to an opening in a team which sounded really interesting. Instead of the usual telephone chat, I decided to walk into Yahoo HQ. We had an hour long conversation/interview where we primarily spoke about issues one would face writing software on linux platforms - OOM killer, cgroups, /proc. I felt this to be one of the best conversations.

After this, I was called onsite. For Yahoo!, this moved pretty quick. The hiring manager made a very sincere effort to hasten the onsite process. I met 3 people for my onsite.

++ Onsite 1 ++
    In a client/server scenario, serialize/de-serialize a balanced binary tree which is to be sent from the client to the server.
    Linux system programming fundamentals including /proc filesystem, OOM killer

++ Onsite 2 ++
    Linux system fundamentals - more /proc filesystem based questions
    Structure of a binary (assuming ELF) on Linux.
    Programmatically print the offset of a member inside a variable of struct type.
    Virtual Memory fundamentals

++ Onsite 3 ++
    Given a binary min heap, insert a new member.

Interview Questions

It wasn't a written offer. Yahoo! moves very slowly to send out a written offer after an onsite interview. This has come about after the introduction of a Googlesque hiring committee. For the hiring manager to get back to me after running the decision through the hiring committee would have taken anywhere between 2-4 weeks. I already had 2 other offers and had to make a choice. If it wasn't for this delay, I would have most certainly accepted Yahoo's offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Carlsbad, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

There are two phone interviews before the onsite interviews. I made to the second phone interview. The goal of the first interview seemed to mainly be about getting a good feel for the candidate. The interviewer asked me about past projects I had worked on and any problems that I had to overcome. The second phone interview was a technical test. He asked me technical questions, many of which I had found online from past candidates. The twist was how well you knew the subject, and not necessarily whether or not you got the correct answer. This interviewer's tactic was to continuously ask me "how can you make that solution better" after each question. He told me I got most answers correct, yet I stumbled each time he asked me to find a better solution. The stumbling, I feel, kept me from the onsite interviews.

Interview Questions

• How can you tell if a linked list is circular (goes on forever because it connects to a previous node)?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2012.

Interview

2 - written Rounds(1objective+one programming round)
    4 Round interview(3 technical+1 hr)

Interview Questions

Negotiation

no such phase

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Bengaluru (India)) in September 2010.

Interview

The interview process was very straightforward and simple. The first step was the telephonic round. I was interviewed by 2 people over the phone. This was a test of basic technical skills.

After clearing this round, I was contacted by the recruiter who arranged for me to come down to Bangalore for 1:1 interviews.

In Bangalore, I went through 3 interview rounds from 10am to 4pm, with a break for lunch. Within a couple of days, I was contacted with an offer, which I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Using HTML and CSS, code up a three column layout.   Answer Question
    • Typical JavaScript questions, also basic stuff like coding up a Fibonacci Series in JS.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo in January 2008.

Interview

I cleared 5 rounds of interview for a job offer from Yahoo!. There are 2 telephonic and 3 1:1 interview rounds about a span of 45mintues to 1hour. The main focus of interview are on your mentioned skill set and analytical skills. Be strong and confident on basics.

Interview Questions

• How do you sort an array that consists of only zeros and ones in only one pass
      Design a chat server
      Reversed linked list   Answer Question
    • What is a virtual function, virtual class, pure virtual function?   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in July 2010.

Interview

provided 360 degree interview with 9 people, from developers, qe, se, re, to project managers, and product managers,
    people are very friendly, and encourage for new ideas and comfort.
    initially contacted by hiring manager over the phone, described position with clear description, and clear understanding.
    HR staff members are considerate, and offered lots of help in answers all job related questions.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2008.

Interview

Recruiter introduced me to the hiring team. There's a team of people dedicated to hiring at the time. Initial phone screen was pretty easy. Onsite interview consists of 5 people. A lot of grilling from 3 out of 5. The other 2 are more behavioral.