Yahoo Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Nov 14, 2017

3.2

42 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

All day interview with a recruiter and about 5-6 engineers. Had lunch with the team and discussed Hadoop, which I had not heard of at that point. Interviewers seemed to ask questions that would reveal whether I could do that job: They didn't ask brain teaser puzzles.

Interview Questions

• This was 9 years ago, but I remember sorting questions and questions about algorithmic complexity; questions about how I would design a system (the details of which I no longer remember, but I do remember it involved a distributed key/value store); questions about TCP/IP; A request to craft an single SQL query that solved a fairly data merge and aggregate problem.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bengaluru (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo (Bengaluru (India)) in December 2013.

Interview

Phone screenings - 2
    On premise - 3 technical rounds, Hiring Manager and HR round. Each round was for an hour. The technical round was more on problem-solving and some questions from my past projects. All got closed in a day.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Recruiter contacted over LinkedIn. Scheduled initial phone screen tech interview. But, they did not call me on the scheduled time, rescheduled again, didn't call again, rescheduled again and finally called on the 3rd time. The person who interviewed me was rude, seemed like he was in hurry to get the interview done just for the sake of it. If you don't have the time to take the interview in a professional manner, why waste the time of candidate?
    I believe I gave the answer to the question they asked including edge-cases, still got a rejection email saying they wanted to hire someone with more coding experience. Not writing this review because I didn't get selected for next round of interview, but purely because of the bad experience I had with the interview process.
    Totally a negative experience, just like using their app and website.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo in February 2017.

Interview

first interview was a phone interview; it wasn't terribly hard in concept but it was challenging given the number of problems that were asked to me over phone in 30 mins or so. one of the questions was a data structure question, another 2 were design pattern questions; of which one of them focussed on multi threaded implementation and another on general object oriented design.

They were prompt in responding and was invited onsite; Onsite interviews were moderately hard technically but were extremely challenging given the number of questions that are asked in a single interview session; had total of 5 1:1, which included a lunch interview. there was never a moment during my onsite where I was at ease, I was constantly writing code on white board, one after another. Lot of focus is given to your thought process, ability to improvise, identify issues with scenarios that are described to you and so on. I would recommend preparing well for onsites, it is not just your knowledge that will be tested but also your speed and ability to switch context from one topic to another.

Interview Questions

• various questions on design patterns, various questions on multi threading concepts, various questions on web service development, etc   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

many interviews, all same day, with many other engineers
    then had lunch with one engineer and after that with the hiring manager
    it was easy and smooth
    questions was good and full of knowledge

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Intense 4 hour coding interview with 4 different teams. The test questions were quite good while the overall process was questionable. However, the recruiter (or hiring agency) and Yahoo refused to provide for travel experiences. I would not agree to interview with them again unless I was local and did not have to fly or drive for the onsite interview. I would highly recommend out of state candidates and others to avoid interviewing with this company.

Interview Questions

• Write a jQuery based game to move pieces on a web site "board."   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo in August 2016.

Interview

One phone round of technical questions for 30 min. Followed by in-person interview for 4 hrs.
    3 Technical rounds of 1 hr and then followed by lunch and then 1 behavioral /HR round. It was very professional and followed back on interview feedback quickly.

Interview Questions

• what are three difficult problems that you faced earlier at work place and how did you tackle them?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

You will be greeted by the First interviewer and will have series for interviews on that day. Some will be to the point and others will be more friendly. The interview process will be for an entire day. This is assuming you have gone through the phone screen. Recruiter will be quite helpful with any questions you have and will also help in preparing you for the interview.
    Experience can be different depending on the team you are interviewing with. If you are applying for a specific position then It's mostly people from that team who will interview you. For new college grad, interviews are conducted from a common pool and placed in different teams.
    Since in my case I was interviewed by the people in the team it helped me to understand how each of them are and how they behave and ask questions and if we are compatible and can work with each other. Point being you don't want to work with morons.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures and coding
      Databases
      Design and architecture
      Algorithms   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Yahoo recruiters and HR team are very unprofessional. The good reputation of Yahoo brand is getting ruined because of these people. I understand they have been processing so many applications per day but it is basic courtesy to respond to applicants with (whatever it may be) interview result. In my case they said I would receive offer, its almost 6 months still no response.

Recruiter contacted me and said he is impressed with my background so asked if I would consider joining Yahoo. I was not interested initially to switch company; because of Yahoo brand and team that I supposed to work seems doing something I wanted to do so I agreed to proceed further. He arranged telephonic interview, which went very well with a coding exercise and technical talk. Then few days later they have arranged on site interview and totally 6 people interviewed me. There were few coding and system design related questions. And there were behavioral related questions also. Everything went well. Team was awesome and they seemed very happy. Interview was average difficult mostly questions are related to my domain. I had to take a day off for this interview.
    Few days later recruiter contacted me and said team was happy with my performance so they wanted to proceed with offer. At this time my application moved to HR department. HR representative contacted me and gathered all details which are required to prepare offer package. I had to wait 2 to 3 weeks after this step to further call from HR; HR said hiring committee still didn’t review the package. I had to take another telephonic interview!! It is nominal procedure for all senior engineers. No one told me about this before. I was surprised even while in the process of getting offer, they wanted to have another round of interview!! What kind of process it is? In between I talked to a director of another group; it looks like they have changed the group where I supposed to work.
    HR said someone would call me for the final telephonic interview. I waited few weeks and lost interest got busy in my current job . Few times I send email to HR and Recruiter to check what happened, no response. I thought yahoo was going through some re-org (Alibaba stock spin off etc) so delay could be because of that. But it doesn’t seem as other candidates in other group were getting offers.

I emailed them recently but there was no response. Seriously!! how much time it takes just to respond. I was happy even if you would have said this position is closed so can't give offer than just ignoring emails. Hope this will be helpful to others so they could expect what would happen in worst case. Don’t resign your current position thinking Yahoo could give you offer. Even they say they would that’s simply not true until the offer package is in your hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

0. Call from HR/Recruiter/Hiring Manager (not technical)
    1. Technical Phone Interview
    2. On-Site Interview
      a) 6 rounds

Technical phone screens are easy coding on shared doc
    On Site is fun.
    I met 6 interviewers, tour the campus, had free food. :)
    The response is pretty slow. They have panels reviewing each candidate and usually takes 2 weeks for initial feedback and then more before you get the offer.
    I got another offer before they extended one, 3 weeks after the interview, hence I declined.

Interview Questions

• - Matrix path finding problem
      - Binary search in a Matrix
      - System design - Pub-Sub
      - String manipulation
      - Implement a hash map

There's always a twist at the end of the question. Be prepared for it   1 Answer