Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I managed a referral from one of the employee at Yahoo, Champaign. Recruiter contacted with me for phone interview and then we had to attend onsite interview at Champaign, IL. The onsite interview had three techincal sessions and one session with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• We have a reservoir of numbers or range of numbers in [a,b]. Write a Program that will return the minimum of the numbers out of the reservoir and remove that very number from the reservoir. At any point of time, values that were queried and taken off from the reservoir might be put back to the reservoir.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Two rounds phone interviews, first is about basic algorithms and data structures questions. Second round is related to the C++ and parallel programming, not easy for an free graduate students

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewer had some borderline rude comments towards the end.

Told the interviewer my java was rusty and my first language is Python
    He asked me to write code in java and in the end complained about my bad java - d-uh

As far as my performance goes, I was thinking in the right direction, but the final solution - although complete (pseduo-code complete w/o edge case handling) was not the optimal one. It was still linear though.
    So I accept that my performance may not have been that good , but I gave my best and my solution was not that
    bad! I am telling you this because it was NOT as a bad an attempt as the interviewer made it sound like with his "borderline" rude comments towards the end!

I liked the question but I felt the interviewer could have been a bit more polite by stopping me in the middle and ending the interview if he wasn't happy with my code at all. Would have saved us both some time. I postponed an important task because of this interview.

Just a day before this interview I had an interview with a "leading" tech company that primarily works with java, but they were okay with me writing my code in python and they just wanted to make me feel comfortable while I developed my logic. I actually ended up going to the next round with them.
    Its literally in my resume that i have been working with only Python for about 1.5 years now.. all you have to do is read!
    What really pissed me off were the borderline rude comments by the interviewer about how bad my java is. All other interviewers I have had , even the bad ones, weren't this rude.
    But to stay professional, i apologized to him in a follow up mail about my "bad" java and pointed him to a paper I had published because he asked for it. In hindsight, I feel the extra bit of professionalism from my side was a waste of time because he did not even bother replying.

So thats my Yahoo interviewing experience for you
    My friends told me Yahoo wasn't worth interviewing for, and I confirmed it. Never again!

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Two rounds of phone interview then I got rejected. The interview process is fast and fluent. Each interviewer gave a brief explain for their group then starts asking technical question. Coding in collabedit

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP knowledge, design a class for card game, how constructor is inherited. Read content from file and parse into int and double based on position   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Interviewed in summer 2014. Their process was straightforward - two phone rounds. Was asked background question related to my resume and coding questions. The communication was slow from HR end but both the interviewers were easy to talk to.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Apply on Campus career fair, got a phone interview two weeks later. Then, move on to onsite. The onsite interview is 3 hours long. One behavioral and two technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design a game with deck of cards.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn who setup a 1hr phone screen. I was asked to code some html/css/js followed by an algorithm since it was a full stack role. Following the screen I was called for an onsite at Sunnyvale. The onsite had 5 rounds of interview including one lunch interview. Four of the rounds were purely technical with only white board coding.

Unfortunately I felt the problems that were asked were very difficult. I was asked three dynamic programming problems, one trie problem and one bit manipulation. I was able to provide the pseudo code for almost all the problems except one which completely stumped me. I almost felt like I was interviewing for FB/Google.

Interview Questions

• Implement custom regex matcher.
      Auto complete
      Longest palindromic substring
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in March 2017.

Interview

First, OOP. The employer asked me to write some variables and methods. Tried to override and inheritance the method. Then, I have a coding problem and it lasts around one hour.

Then,

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First of all, explain one of my projects to the interviewer. After that I was asked about some computer Science basic knowledge. And it ends with two sections of coding

Interview Questions

• knowledge: difference between Thread and Process, between ArrayList and LinkedList; Web attacks;
      code: an array with only 0s and 1s, put 0s on the left, 1s on the right;
                an array with 0s, 1s, and 2s, put 0s on left, 1s on middle, and 2s on right
      1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Applied through email and just did one round of phone interview, it is easy, asking many basic and some open end questions about SQL, C/C++/Java and focusing on basic usage and OOP concept with some hard bonus questions. Coding questions are also easy, just string manipulations. Got on-site invite several days later.