Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

Interview

I received an email from the Corporate Connection of my college about Yahoo is hiring. I submitted my resume by replying to the email and got a phone interview the next day. Got the onsite interview in less than a week after the phone interview. The onsite interview was 6 hours long and free lunch was provided. Each interview section last about an hour, and it's either 1-1 or 1-2 but always only one person asking.

Interview Questions

• Got database query questions and Unix commands questions which I don't quite remember   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Submit my resume on a career fair. Got a technical phone interview after 2 months. the questions are about data structure and algorithm. e.g. class of tree in C++. and a coding questions concerning tree traversal DFS and BFS.

Other competing offer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

I went to my university job fair and talked to Yahoo recruiter. They were interviewing people the next day and decided to give me a chance. I did not make it through the interview tho because I did a bad job and did not really have enough time to get prepared.

Interview Questions

• Combine two lists of Object with different size into one   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions

• A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in August 2014.

Interview

phone interview about oop, coding, OS, threads, and so on, I did well. then I went to onsite at champaign, il. 4 rounds of technical interview. I did well except that a rude, strong-accent indian guy asked me corner knowlegde about linux shell programming and perl.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Interview for a position of software engineer in the ads & data team.

First part - coding exercise
    build a Boggle game and output the longest word
    use whatever language you want
    time to do the exercise: 1 hour

Second part - 3 interviews (white board coding)
    interviews related to your team
    Normal coding exercises (databases, regex and trees for me)

Interview Questions

• Regex Question
      Build a function that takes one string and one regex expression in inputs and output true if the string matches the regex expression.
      string: a-z
      regex: a-z + * (where '*' matches 0 or more character and '+' matches one character)   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo in September 2014.

Interview

Met during career fair. Had a small interview on spot and one scheduled for the next day. Questions were simple. The questions were mostly about previous projects and based on resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Jose, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

About less than a week I submitted my application online, I got an phone interview with an yahoo employer. I was asked to write a coding question and implement a stack. Several days later, I got the onsite interview. The interview was pretty intense. I had a 4 hours interviews in a row and talked to 4 employers. They are very friendly. I tried my best and I felt I did well. But unluckily, I didn't got the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

First round of Phone interview.Questions were general , More on Resume.
    Also this position is for a Big Data Team in Champaign,Illinois.
    1 ) Basics of Java
    2 ) One Design question on how you would design chess board
    3 ) basics on sql - creating a table,joins,having by,aggregate functions
    4 ) Basics on unix/linux
    5) One question on scalability

Interview Questions

• Some puzzles , may be the question was easy , just couldn’t understand the language - how would you distribute 1000 potatoes in 10 baskets.   Answer Question