Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 10, 2017

3.1

270 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Very straight forward. Lots of data structure and algorithm question. The interviewers were friendly and helped with the questions. The interview process took couple of hours. Lot's of white boarding. I will suggest practice question on whiteboard. It will help.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY).

Interview

1 phone tech screen + 4 rounds on site
    The interview questions are quite typical. You may expect to code on a laptop.
    Based on what I observed, the environment and culture was good(easy, work & life balanced).
     It was not my first time having interview at Yahoo. I would say their HR/recruiters and their management were terrible. They were chewing while talking to you over phone. They could mess up the schedule, forget to follow up, etc. Last thing, you were rejected if they hadn't given you the feedback in 2 days.

Interview Questions

• 3 hour solving problem by coding on computer + 3 rounds of typical white board
      Its difficulty is median.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

First phone screen with a recruiter to gauge interest and teams. Tech phone screen with random engineer, then online coding test. After passing that I had a call with an interested engineer who did a dog and pony show to sell me his team. Onsite with eng team was 5 interviews mostly algorithms and coding. One was front end CSS and HTML questions, the rest were general data structure stuff. Last interview was with the director just chatting about my experience

Interview Questions

• Design a distributed cache and code it on the whiteboard in Java   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Yahoo NYC emailed saying they wanted to speak to me on the phone for an interview.
    1st: Phone Call interview, applied for Software Engineer role.
    But role was for a Senior position and told me to look around and find a junior role.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was one on one in the Yahoo office in New York. The interviewer was very chill and asked one coding question and some questions about streaming data. The interview went on for 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• Find all combinations of numbers in a given array that add up to a given number.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter reached out and told me that he would like to put resume for a review where hiring managers from different teams will meet and might pick up your resume. A week later I was told my resume was picked by Yahoo Membership team and they want to schedule a technical phone screen.

Phone screen was pretty simple, was asked to reverse linked list in group of k's on coder pad and few basic Javascript and html/css concepts. Interview went well . At the end of the call he asked me to tell my approach how to solve source destination / boarding pass problem.

Recruiter whom I talked prior to my interview was very professional, however interviewer seemed bit off, he showed no interest in talking about my past or current experience and didn't answer any of my questions that I asked about Yahoo.

A day later I received mail from recruiter that he had a little trouble tracking down the feedback, but he was able to receive an answer and Unfortunately, they have decided that my profile isn't the best fit for the team's needs.

Interview Questions

• Reverse linked list in group , what would you say about performance of document.getElementByID, what is event bubbling? how document.create works ?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo in May 2017.

Interview

I applied by university recruiting program. It is a 30-minute phone interview. The question is not difficult. But the phone signal is not very good. So I didn't pass it.

Interview Questions

• level-order traversal of a binary tree.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewer had some borderline rude comments towards the end.

Told the interviewer my java was rusty and my first language is Python
    He asked me to write code in java and in the end complained about my bad java - d-uh

As far as my performance goes, I was thinking in the right direction, but the final solution - although complete (pseduo-code complete w/o edge case handling) was not the optimal one. It was still linear though.
    So I accept that my performance may not have been that good , but I gave my best and my solution was not that
    bad! I am telling you this because it was NOT as a bad an attempt as the interviewer made it sound like with his "borderline" rude comments towards the end!

I liked the question but I felt the interviewer could have been a bit more polite by stopping me in the middle and ending the interview if he wasn't happy with my code at all. Would have saved us both some time. I postponed an important task because of this interview.

Just a day before this interview I had an interview with a "leading" tech company that primarily works with java, but they were okay with me writing my code in python and they just wanted to make me feel comfortable while I developed my logic. I actually ended up going to the next round with them.
    Its literally in my resume that i have been working with only Python for about 1.5 years now.. all you have to do is read!
    What really pissed me off were the borderline rude comments by the interviewer about how bad my java is. All other interviewers I have had , even the bad ones, weren't this rude.
    But to stay professional, i apologized to him in a follow up mail about my "bad" java and pointed him to a paper I had published because he asked for it. In hindsight, I feel the extra bit of professionalism from my side was a waste of time because he did not even bother replying.

So thats my Yahoo interviewing experience for you
    My friends told me Yahoo wasn't worth interviewing for, and I confirmed it. Never again!

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I managed a referral from one of the employee at Yahoo, Champaign. Recruiter contacted with me for phone interview and then we had to attend onsite interview at Champaign, IL. The onsite interview had three techincal sessions and one session with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• We have a reservoir of numbers or range of numbers in [a,b]. Write a Program that will return the minimum of the numbers out of the reservoir and remove that very number from the reservoir. At any point of time, values that were queried and taken off from the reservoir might be put back to the reservoir.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Two rounds phone interviews, first is about basic algorithms and data structures questions. Second round is related to the C++ and parallel programming, not easy for an free graduate students