Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 18, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in May 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Recruiter reached out and told me that he would like to put resume for a review where hiring managers from different teams will meet and might pick up your resume. A week later I was told my resume was picked by Yahoo Membership team and they want to schedule a technical phone screen.

Phone screen was pretty simple, was asked to reverse linked list in group of k's on coder pad and few basic Javascript and html/css concepts. Interview went well . At the end of the call he asked me to tell my approach how to solve source destination / boarding pass problem.

Recruiter whom I talked prior to my interview was very professional, however interviewer seemed bit off, he showed no interest in talking about my past or current experience and didn't answer any of my questions that I asked about Yahoo.

A day later I received mail from recruiter that he had a little trouble tracking down the feedback, but he was able to receive an answer and Unfortunately, they have decided that my profile isn't the best fit for the team's needs.

Interview Questions

• Reverse linked list in group , what would you say about performance of document.getElementByID, what is event bubbling? how document.create works ?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY).

Interview

The interview was one on one in the Yahoo office in New York. The interviewer was very chill and asked one coding question and some questions about streaming data. The interview went on for 45 mins.

Interview Questions

• Find all combinations of numbers in a given array that add up to a given number.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Champaign, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Champaign, IL) in April 2017.

Interview

I managed a referral from one of the employee at Yahoo, Champaign. Recruiter contacted with me for phone interview and then we had to attend onsite interview at Champaign, IL. The onsite interview had three techincal sessions and one session with hiring manager

Interview Questions

• We have a reservoir of numbers or range of numbers in [a,b]. Write a Program that will return the minimum of the numbers out of the reservoir and remove that very number from the reservoir. At any point of time, values that were queried and taken off from the reservoir might be put back to the reservoir.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Two rounds phone interviews, first is about basic algorithms and data structures questions. Second round is related to the C++ and parallel programming, not easy for an free graduate students

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I interviewed at Yahoo in April 2017.

Interview

Interviewer had some borderline rude comments towards the end.

Told the interviewer my java was rusty and my first language is Python
    He asked me to write code in java and in the end complained about my bad java - d-uh

As far as my performance goes, I was thinking in the right direction, but the final solution - although complete (pseduo-code complete w/o edge case handling) was not the optimal one. It was still linear though.
    So I accept that my performance may not have been that good , but I gave my best and my solution was not that
    bad! I am telling you this because it was NOT as a bad an attempt as the interviewer made it sound like with his "borderline" rude comments towards the end!

I liked the question but I felt the interviewer could have been a bit more polite by stopping me in the middle and ending the interview if he wasn't happy with my code at all. Would have saved us both some time. I postponed an important task because of this interview.

Just a day before this interview I had an interview with a "leading" tech company that primarily works with java, but they were okay with me writing my code in python and they just wanted to make me feel comfortable while I developed my logic. I actually ended up going to the next round with them.
    Its literally in my resume that i have been working with only Python for about 1.5 years now.. all you have to do is read!
    What really pissed me off were the borderline rude comments by the interviewer about how bad my java is. All other interviewers I have had , even the bad ones, weren't this rude.
    But to stay professional, i apologized to him in a follow up mail about my "bad" java and pointed him to a paper I had published because he asked for it. In hindsight, I feel the extra bit of professionalism from my side was a waste of time because he did not even bother replying.

So thats my Yahoo interviewing experience for you
    My friends told me Yahoo wasn't worth interviewing for, and I confirmed it. Never again!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Was contacted by an HR and had a short 20-30 min conversation to discuss my interests. My Resume was then shared with managers from the Yahoo Mail team and in about 3-4 days I received an email to schedule my interview with an engineer from Yahoo.

The technical interview was ridiculous! The interviewer asked me the Producer/Consumer problem and was expecting an answer in a specific method. Any change in the method was critically questioned/opposed. The interviewer at the end started ridiculing me by asking "how many years of experience you said you have?", "You didn't get a promotion in your company?", "What did you work on in these years?", .. The interview obviously did not go well.

Advice to Yahoo: Trying to prove you are better than other engineers does not help anyone. Kindly learn some basic interview etiquettes!

Everyone else: Avoid interviewing/joining the Yahoo mail team.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Two rounds of phone interview then I got rejected. The interview process is fast and fluent. Each interviewer gave a brief explain for their group then starts asking technical question. Coding in collabedit

Interview Questions

• Basic OOP knowledge, design a class for card game, how constructor is inherited. Read content from file and parse into int and double based on position   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Interview

Interviewed in summer 2014. Their process was straightforward - two phone rounds. Was asked background question related to my resume and coding questions. The communication was slow from HR end but both the interviewers were easy to talk to.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Apply on Campus career fair, got a phone interview two weeks later. Then, move on to onsite. The onsite interview is 3 hours long. One behavioral and two technical interviews.

Interview Questions

• Design a game with deck of cards.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn who setup a 1hr phone screen. I was asked to code some html/css/js followed by an algorithm since it was a full stack role. Following the screen I was called for an onsite at Sunnyvale. The onsite had 5 rounds of interview including one lunch interview. Four of the rounds were purely technical with only white board coding.

Unfortunately I felt the problems that were asked were very difficult. I was asked three dynamic programming problems, one trie problem and one bit manipulation. I was able to provide the pseudo code for almost all the problems except one which completely stumped me. I almost felt like I was interviewing for FB/Google.

Interview Questions

• Implement custom regex matcher.
      Auto complete