Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 26, 2017

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

First of all, explain one of my projects to the interviewer. After that I was asked about some computer Science basic knowledge. And it ends with two sections of coding

Interview Questions

• knowledge: difference between Thread and Process, between ArrayList and LinkedList; Web attacks;
    code: an array with only 0s and 1s, put 0s on the left, 1s on the right;
              an array with 0s, 1s, and 2s, put 0s on left, 1s on middle, and 2s on right
    Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Applied through email and just did one round of phone interview, it is easy, asking many basic and some open end questions about SQL, C/C++/Java and focusing on basic usage and OOP concept with some hard bonus questions. Coding questions are also easy, just string manipulations. Got on-site invite several days later.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Jose, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer asked me to solve a mini project consisted of 3 sub-problems in about 50 min. I was allowed to google or check language reference online (I used Java), as long as I don't resort to another person for help. The project is about String processing.

Interview Questions

• Generate a random String which can be separated into several "words" by spaces. Split the string to a list of words and print out the longest word with unique characters.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Buffalo, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied online on yahoo website. A few days later got a call from one of the recruiters saying some managers are looking at my resume and they will tell in a day or two. Two days later I got a call from the same recruiter saying one of the managers has selected my resume for further screening. Then scheduled a phone screen interview a few days later.

Interview Questions

• First asked about my college projects. Then asked me if we have a lot of data and want to sort it what would you do. Then gave me a list of sorted list, I had to merge it into one sorted list.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Got 2 phone screen interviews after submitting my resume. Interviewing with two managers from different teams. Each phone screen was 60 minutes. Managers talked about the their teams and Yahoo products, cultures. I think my phone interviews went well but I didn't get an onsite interview after two phone screen interviews for no reason.

Interview Questions

• One coding challenge consists of three parts. String processing. Find the longest string contains common substring in a string array.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in La Jolla, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (La Jolla, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I talked to a software engineer at a career fair. The recruiter liked me and scheduled a technical interview 3 days later. The interview was technical phone one, where he asked me questions about basic data structure/algorithms (problem solving). The interviewer was very helpful in giving me hints. It took a while for them to get back to me though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

Two technical rounds. 45 min each. Had to code and the interviewer dry ran the code every time and was looking for edge cases where it could fail. Haven't heard from them yet.

Interview Questions

• You enter a numbered door (say 1), and this door leads you to a room which is again filled with doors ( say 2,3). These doors lead you to more rooms and so on. Given a room you're in, and the list of doors in that room, you have to find the path to a target door.   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in January 2017.

Interview

Had two phone interviews, both technical. The first guy was very cool and was very impressed by my performance on the first question which took relatively longer time (~45 mins). He just asked second question which he was not expecting me to complete, but just asked my approach to solve it, he even provided some hints. I gave detail algorithmic approach to solve the problem and he was very impressed with that. Then the second phone interview was a mess up. There was a guy who just asked a question (not good english) and after my attempt to analyze and solve it, asked me to stop because the interview was only 30 mins. He didn't say about that in the beginning of the interview. He gave me 5 more minutes to solve it, I tried my best and had algorithmically correct code. He just told me to contact the HR tomorrow which means he had bad scoring for me. I didn't contact the HR neither I heard from them.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much same questions as we can find in glassdoor.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Atlanta, GA) in January 2017.

Interview

After the career fair I got an on-campus interview, two turns of 40-min each. Two interviewers asked me questions about web development knowledge, how well you know TCP/IP protocols and other questions. Then you do whiteboard programming tasks. Tasks are very simple. But I am not very familiar with networking protocols.

Interview Questions

• What happen when you navigate to an webpage? What is cookies? Parse a string with spaces. Find a path in a directed graph.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

4 rounds for the onsite interview. 3 rounds of coding + 1 round of lunch. Most coding problems are easy to medium on OJ, except one graph problem, which is supposed to be hard (which is hard to describe without graph).