Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two phone calls both technical, asking SQL questions and simple tree traversal questions. Also asked scenario questions and how I would analyze the data and go about solving the problem. About a week later I got an email to be brought on site. They pay for airfare, good, and taxis. Once I got there (on Friday for "Yahoo Days"), I did a coding challenge then talked to three members of the team I was applying for. There was a mixer at the end of the day where you're able to talk with other applicants and some employees. My interview was not technically intensive, but others who were interviewing said there interview was almost all coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic tree traversal questions with an alteration to a red black tree   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied through University Job fair.Yahoo team evaluated my resume and called me onsite for 45 mins screening round.Interview was based on trie data strcuture somewhat similar to Gobble game.
    No contact/email from recruiter after this round even after sending a follow up email.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Berkeley, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Applied for summer internship at my college career fair. Scheduled an on-site interview the next week. The process was an 1-on-1 interview with a current Yahoo software engineer. Asked about features and specialty of my most comfortable language (which is Java), and then straight onto coding questions.

Interview Questions

• How to convert a binary search tree into an ordered doubly linked list?   1 Answer
    • How to find out the second most frequent integer given an array of integers.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo in February 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received an email from the first interviewer after 2-3 weeks. Two rounds of technical interviews before the final decision.

The first interviewer is very nice and told me he is impressed. 3 algorithm and data structure questions, and two questions about my projects on resume, one question on a course. Ironically, he suggested me not accept their offer if I have other choices.

The second one impressed me with the most horrible interview experience. As a front-end developer, he believes it is very important to know Unix scripts and computer networks, though I was supposed to interview for a machine learning position.

Neither of us are native speakers, so I guess we have communication problems too.He keep saying JUST WRITE IT DOWN when I was trying to briefly describe the idea or walk him through codes.

And my recruiter never replies emails so I don't know if I got an offer. It was just stuck there and I happily accept offers from another company.

Interview Questions

• The first interviewer is very nice and we are still in touch. 3 algorithm and data structure questions, and two questions about my projects on resume, one question on a course.

He kept asking me questions like which directory holds logs in Unix, names of each layers of OSI, names of each stages in Agile...actually 16 such questions in total in 45 minutes, in addition to 2 programming questions and one algorithm questions (he asks me to write down scenarios, and interrupted me when I wrote some pseudo codes...).   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

About 1 month after the career fair, HR contact me to schedule a phone interview. The guy interviewed me is a senior engineer at Yahoo. He did not ask about the project and ask me two algorithm quesitons. And both of them are very easy. It has been 2 weeks after the phone interview. I am still waiting for the result.

Interview Questions

• Determine whether there is a loop in a linked lisk. Find the head of the loop. The questions are quite easy, and I figure out and write down in 15 minutes. However, the HR did not contact me after the interview.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It is a two screen process at yahoo. The interviewer's are great and help in case you get stuck. They basically check your programming knowledge and logical concepts. Even if you write the code a bit incorrect, it won't affect your result unless you tell them the correct algorithm. Linked List, Stack , Queue, Arrays and Strings, Searching Sorting and Trees and Graphs are things which should be prepared before the interview.

Interview Questions

• Check if the string is balanced. eg {{}} should return true,
      Given a input sentence tokenize it and print the word count. eg the boy went to the school- > the 2, boy 1, went 1, to 1, school 1   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was second round, telephonic call for 1 hr. The interviewer was a Korean and I was asked two algorithmic Questions. He was expecting me to code in front end languages, but i do not know that as i was just writing code in c++. Its a reject after two days. It was for Front end position, but i dont know that.

Interview Questions

• How many binary 1's are there in a given number and also Lowest common ancestor.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Sat down for an afternoon of interviews after a few phone calls. The first interviewer did not know he was interviewing me until the morning of the interviews and took 15 minutes out of the 30 given for a technical interview asking about my background. He was unable to articulate his question about Hash tables. Outside of this poor experience, the other three interviewers were very interested in using the full 45 minutes provided to them to ask a question, and then dive deeper into space/time questions.

Interview Questions

• Sample Questions:
      1 - Given a pre-order traversal of a BST represented by an array of integers, generate the tree
      2 - Given an infinite number of servers with an infinite amount integers on each server, return the median integer. Assume a finite amount of space and time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Robbed me of two months of my time! The interview process was straightforward - apply online; get called within a week for phone screen and then onsite interviews within the next two weeks. Then followed the hellacious deal over the decision process.

The onsite interviews were very easy when compared to other interviews. Three rounds of 45 minutes each and that was not that bad. And one was completely behavioral and resume oriented questions such as explain about the project, its architecture. One of the interviewers were informal and I did like the candid reply of "Yeah, my work is monotonous". Thought that I did good in my interviews. Got news from my friends that they received reject whereas I did not. A month passed and mailed the HR asking for the decision, no reply. The same HR sent the mail for reimbursement but did not bother to reply to my query. Finally, another recruiter contacted me where I had to inquire about my decision and it seems that they pursued with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Straighten out a json to a one level list.   1 Answer
    • Design patterns. Design a paint brush application and more in detail with respect to design pattern.   Answer Question
    • Phone Interview: Linked list class in Java with all operations. Codeshare.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.