Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

3.1

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Junior platform team SW engineer

Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people.

First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.

Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions

Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems

Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions

My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions

• In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Interview started with a few simple CS and Linux based questions, like one liners. The interviewer was nice and polite, asked about my experience and explained a bit about his team and his role etc. Then went into a programming question, which was easy to average question, but I messed in dealing with array and indexes, so didn't finish the solution in time, he helped me find the mistake and also told me the approach is correct, but there is a small mistake in juggling with indexes in the array operation. As we were user coderpad.com, I have to execute solution right there, so issue was obvious, if its a google doc or collabedit issue wouldn't be found so easy. I was pleased with the experience and interviewer's team, but bad luck.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (New York, NY) in May 2014.

Interview

Seems like a pretty relaxed interview. Chatted about algorithms and coding with a software engineer. The whole interview seemed pretty chill with plenty of bathroom breaks and free food around the office. Overall, quite a pleasant experience.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

applied online and got a reply few days later.
    Then setup for a phone interview.
    I got a phone interview for an hour.
    I was asked to solve three coding questions, string sorting, simple linked list, and string hashing.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

It was one hour interview, went through my resume and started with a coding question over collab edit and HTML, CSS and Javascript questions. More questions on HTML and JavaScript.

Interview Questions

• Give the top ten elements of the given array   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through university job fair and they scheduled a phone interview with me after 2 weeks. Yahoo interview process is kind of slow, you have to push them all the time, otherwise you have to wait. The interview is about 1 hour and questions were normal. First he asked several c++ language basic questions, and then about my resume. After that there were three coding questions. The interviewer was nice and helpful, he always gave some hints about the problems, and kindly wait for my feedback. Normally the interview should be 45 mins but mine was about 1 hour.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

The interviewer was a male and very polite. First he asked something from my resume such as what is my favorite projects. And then we started the technical questions. The technical questions covered a algorithm problem, a c programming problem, some basic stuff about STL in C++ and some other practical questions such as writing a bash. My performance was very bad.

Interview Questions

• Write a example to show the use of bitset container in C++   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo in October 2014.

Interview

Three on-campus interviews in one day. Not hard. But need to focus on details. All of them are based on data structures and algorithms. Make sure you prepared well. Also be prepared to talk about your more recent work experience or your current project. The interviewers are also willing to share their current project descriptions with you.

Interview Questions

• Told to implement a doubly linked-list. The interviewer focused on details. Need to be very careful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions

• A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

I submitted on website, got the interview notification in one week. During the interview, the engineer asked me Java basics(such as abstract class/interface, multithreaded), and SQL(join / group), Operation system in very details. The whole interview finished in 30 mins.