Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yahoo Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Yahoo

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yahoo in December 2014.

Interview

Recruiter was really nice she contacted me and i had one phone interview where I had to find out the last node of the tree(BFS) and search an element via binary search with one extra condition

Flew over to Sunnyvale excellent people, great campus, streamlined process. had 5 interviews along with lunch (big cafeteria). it was for mail/communications team
1. parking design, using hash table check if two strings are Anagram
2. given a string find whether it matches on a big string or not
3. flattening and un-flattening a binary search tree
4. one more logical or data structure question using iteration ( result should be in n). i think everybody in the room knows the celebrity but celebrity doesn't know anybody. how many celebrities in the room)
5. storing a ton of sets with Transitive relation in tables so that look up is very easy.

Funny recruiter never contacted me again , i think i messed up two of the interviews.

Folks were very neat in their approach and very efficient, one of the easiest interviews I ever had.
All the interviewers were really good
Still cheers for the opportunity.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yahoo

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Had three onsite interviews, which were easy to medium in difficulty. The interviewers did not seem that well prepared but everyone was in general friendly and competent.
    However, HR is a mess. It took them over three months from the day of my onsite interview to send me an actual offer letter, which is completely unacceptable. Furthermore they didn't communicate with me at all--they'd tell me they would get back to me that week and then not respond for another 2-3 weeks. And you can bet they won't reimburse you for your onsite interview.
    I had a good onsite interview experience and might even have considered Yahoo had their recruiting team not been so awful. It really reflects badly on the rest of the company.

Interview Questions

• Coding question before the interviews started on your own personal computer, can't share however because of NDA   Answer Question

Had offers from better companies that were actually prompt in communicating with me

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Applied through College Career Fair, Had an onsite interview the next day. Did not get much time to prepare. It was a technical coding round. The interviewer directly started with questions. Was asked to write proper code. He gave some hints but I could not crack the problem.

Interview Questions

• Was asked questions only on n-ary trees. Had not prepared for it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Mountain View, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Junior platform team SW engineer

Got onsite interview directly by employee referral. I was invited for onsite after 2 months. Interviewed with 4 people.

First: In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.

Second: Deep Java and OO questions, inheritance, polymorphism, overloading, lots of question about collection framework, how they are implemented behind the scene and when to use which, downcasting and upcasting, complicated exceptions questions

Third (with the team lead): very random and irrelevant questions, TCP handshaking, DNS server, how Internet works end to end, variables alignment in memory, how cpu is connected to memory! how tomcat works and its thread pools, the interviewer was inconsistent and started and ended with a very negative impression, no question about Java or distributed systems

Forth: with the manager, he described Yahoo’s scaling up open problems and asked me how I would solve them, questions regarding scaling up redis, kafka, mesos, memcashed,…, I believe questions were appropriate for a senior positions

My suggestion is that if you are not from India, do not waste your time interviewing at yahoo platform team

Interview Questions

• In a binary tree, prune leaves that are odd and have no even children, recursively.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Went to the Career Fair in our university and got the interview. The process included two rounds. Interviewers were interested in my data science background and were very friendly. While they asked a lot about my experience, they also shared a lot about Yahoo with me. Each interviewer asked one technical question. One is an open question such as what assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how.

Interview Questions

• What assumption will I add in order to develop a faster algorithm and how   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Interview

Get 2 phone interview, both including technical questions, such as Algorithm and background talking. Not very difficult. The onsite interview is held with 4 persons. The questions on the onsite is also not very difficult comparing with the other company I also interviewed. The people there are very very nice. Yahoo has its famous Y! day. In there I also met some other applicants.

Interview Questions

• I didn't prepare Unix operation, so that question is unexpected   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

Got call from HR for technical phone interview. HR asked few simple questions and then set 45 mins phone interview ( coding )

Interview Questions

• Singleton in 2 ways.
      find height of tree.
      find 2 array values with given sum   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (San Francisco, CA) in July 2013.

Interview

online application and received email from one of the teams in Y! setup a tech phone screen with engineer. very efficient communication. Got an email saying they need a second phone screen, but one day later they asked me to go onsite instead.

Interview Questions

• Nothing unexpected. But a lot of very basic questions The coding problem is a permutation with some specific tricks.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Approached me through linkedin. Hiring takes almost 5-6 months and there are 8-9 interview rounds. 2 on call interviews with programming on shared application and 6 onsite rounds.
    It took almost a month or so for evaluation and all. Seems they evaluate too many candidates for the same position. The allocation of the position/title might varies based on the position and budget available in the project. Recruiter comeback with feedback from Hiring manager and other folks who has interviewed and contact us for a salary number. If we are not satisfied, then we can ask him to change/compete based on the market rate.

Interview Questions

• I dont find any unexpected questions. Lots of companies waste their time in interview process and hires a bad candidates. All algorithms and they are straight forward.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It is ok. Not bad not good.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo.

Interview

First, submit your application for the position you are interested in at Yahoo career site.
    Second, there will be a recruiter emailing and calling you to schedule a date for a phone interview.
    Third, on the day I got a call from one of Yahoo engineers for the interview.
    Since I didn't pass the interview, I am not sure what is the next step further.

Interview Questions

• In the phone interview, I had been asked lots of technical questions from simple to a little tricky. Here are the couple questions below I still remember.
      1) what is stack and queue? what are the differences between them?
      2) how do you use stack to simulate behaviors of a queue?
      3) what are the differences between java and c++?
      4) how do you implement AJAX by javascript?
      5) how do you search a record in a giant table of a relational database?   Answer Question