Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

Interviews at Yahoo

Sort:

Associate Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

Had another offer on the table so Yahoo! knew they had to move through the process quickly. Spoke with the recruiter one day, the hiring manager the next, then was brought it to speak to 6 different team members in a 3 hour interview block. The people were extremely nice, very casual. The one thing that stood out was one gentleman told me Yahoo! tends to hire folks that are overqualified for the position. This occurred on a Friday then that evening, the recruiter called to schedule an interview with the VP for a Sunday. I finally heard back on Monday (they said they would let me know a few hours within the interview so I waited and waited) and the other candidate they went with was just "off the charts," so pretty much what the interviewer told me. Everyone was real kind and professional...good experience although no offer.

Interview Questions

• If given this opportunity, how would you approach your first day on the job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

Having read through the reviews on glassdoor I wasn't expecting a smooth process either but since I am a local candidate I didn't have to go through the hassle of going through the travel/stay reimbursements etc. The reviews were true to the core that the recruitment process is a clear indication of the complete chaos in the company. I was invited for an onsite, after clearing the initial phone screen which was fairly a simpler algorithmic challenge. Just revisit your algorithms and data structures especially search, sort, list, trees, graphs, string manipulations etc. An advice to candidates is to not to over do the preparation as they come with a mind set expecting 'the' answer they were looking for and even if you out smart them with an efficient solution it's still frowned upon (which is rather untrue for most companies in the silicon valley).
    The onsite interviews were pathetic, with some interviewers jumping straight onto white-board coding without even a formal introduction. The questions ranged from generating random numbers between 1 and N given a function which returns 0 or 1 with equal probability (binary to decimal!), ways to provide contradicting assignment statements from a list of string assignments of the form ['a=b', 'c=d', 'd=b'] ['a!=d'] etc, string anagram matching, binary search trees. The engineers seemed technically sound/professional and will indeed provide you enough hints in case you run into troubled waters.

Interview Questions

• A question involving indirect application of DFS on graph (to prove if a list of assignment statements contradict)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2014.

Interview

Hiring process started with a recruiter and then a simple 1:1 phone interview. It was an easy question to solve a BST. Any comp sci student should know all Algos when you are applying to Yahoo!

Interview Questions

• Prove number of nodes in a BST is 2^h - 1, h is height using Mathematical Induction! Huh! I learnt it in school but was fortunate enough to recall   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

Interviewed in May 2013, on site with Yahoo for a position of Senior Engineer. Interviewers demonstrated complete and utter no interest. One asked me a question and looked in the ceiling, then got up and went away. Others were similarly disinterested as if it was a formality for them. I think my skills or experience didn't matter at all, and I was discriminated on the basis of race (I am white).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Interview

Had 1 phone screen then invited to onsite. I felt that Interviewers are not interested in interviewing candidates. Some interviewers told me that he is not sure what to ask as he does not work in the team I was interviewing. worst HR and worst interview process.I was interviewed for back end position but one interviewer was asking front end questions.

Interview Questions

• what are the ways you can submit data to server   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

1 phone screen interview, followed by 3 days of 5-people interviews (+lunch interview) in a period of 1-2 weeks. Interviewed with people from 3+ teams different from the one that phone-screened me. Finally the team that phone-screened me hired me.

After I accepted the offer, while wrapping up my work in my previous company, the recruiter asked me to have a letter signed by my previous employer showing that I have completed everything we discussed when I gave them the 2-week notice, which I thought was unusual.

Interview Questions

• Questions were typical coding questions, i.e. shuffle cards, merge sort using files, traversing trees, C++ related questions. One of the interviewers (probably non-technical) asked me a physics brain teaser which was unexpected, I don't remember the details.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Although I got a decent increase from my previous job, I didn't negotiate and later found that I didn't get competitive compensation package. Advice: negotiate!

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Approached me through linkedin. Hiring takes almost 5-6 months and there are 8-9 interview rounds. 2 on call interviews with programming on shared application and 6 onsite rounds.
    It took almost a month or so for evaluation and all. Seems they evaluate too many candidates for the same position. The allocation of the position/title might varies based on the position and budget available in the project. Recruiter comeback with feedback from Hiring manager and other folks who has interviewed and contact us for a salary number. If we are not satisfied, then we can ask him to change/compete based on the market rate.

Interview Questions

• I dont find any unexpected questions. Lots of companies waste their time in interview process and hires a bad candidates. All algorithms and they are straight forward.   1 Answer

Negotiation

It is ok. Not bad not good.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Interview

Get 2 phone interview, both including technical questions, such as Algorithm and background talking. Not very difficult. The onsite interview is held with 4 persons. The questions on the onsite is also not very difficult comparing with the other company I also interviewed. The people there are very very nice. Yahoo has its famous Y! day. In there I also met some other applicants.

Interview Questions

• I didn't prepare Unix operation, so that question is unexpected   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in August 2013.

Interview

applied through career website, had phone interview one month after.
    Asked about resume related questions, on that day invited to onsite interview.
    Onsite interview was 4round technical interview.
    After 2 month from onsite interview, I hear nothing from my recruiter, don't answer the email .
    Don't know what happened.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

Applied online. Your typical 3 rounds of interviews total. Phone, followed by 2 in house interviews. Team and work environment seems friendly and nice.

However, interview process was extremely long and they never make their decision deadline. They always make up excuses for why the process is delayed and why they need more time. Interview process took close to 3 months now and according to them I am at the committee review final stage. However, its been almost 3 weeks since they told me that and a decision is still not out. They will constantly tell you that you are their top candidate to keep you from dropping out but don't trust them. I had other pending offers that I gave up for Yahoo and I deeply regret not taking them now.

Will not interview with them again. Don't trust HR's words, and take your other offers when you have the chance.

Interview Questions

• Many system design questions. Nothing difficult or out of the ordinary.   Answer Question