Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

Interviews at Yahoo

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Two phone interviews and 2 on-site interviews. The interview is pretty tranditional. Some IQ tests and programming questions. There are around 10-12 people in the 2 days on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the most efficient way to swap the numbers from left to right? For example: 1234567 if giving the k = 3, the result should be 4567123.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

I interviewed with 4 people and the first person asked a few stupid mind game questions. The director seemed sharp and on the ball but I think the engineers do not get along with the first line manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2008.

Interview

Got scheduled for a phone screen and then an engineer called me. He asked me some algorithmic questions about data structures and about how to implement a calculator, as well as a brainteaser type question.

Interview Questions

• implement calculator describing how to represent the different symbols, hold them in memory, and perform the right order of operations   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

This was by far the best interview experience I had. I did two short phone interview which went pretty good, no weired questions, all fundamental and basic questions. Then I was invited for an onsite interview which was very well organized. The campus looks really nice, everything is so relaxed, and the interviewers are quite friendly. Questions are not too difficult, but definitely open ended and broad.

Interview Questions

• What are some of the good approaches to search for a string (pattern) in a list of files?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Did not negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter and initial discussion. After short phone conversation with HR, i was set up for the technical phone screening. I was asked mainly regarding data structures and algorithm. After few days i was asked to come for on site interview. On site interview consisted of five 45 min 1:1 technical interview. Interview mainly consisted of heavy on technical side. Mainly asked data structure, Algorithm and coding questions. Every interviewer asked me to write code on white board. Make sure to have good data structure and algorithm skills before interviewing. Overall campus looked pretty decent. Yahoo has really good working environment. I was told that they have very bright engineers but sr management lacks vision. I found every interviewer very knowledgeable. If you have 0 - 5 yrs of exp, this place has good potential to grow.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Offer was better than I expected. Hence I did not negotiate. I am currently employed in better and stable company but I accepted the offer due to work they offered me and learning curve seemed quite impressive.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

Got an email from Yahoo recruiter (Tnx LinkedIn !!) , scheduled a phone-screening for the same week. got a call from a nice enginner . questions were pretty basic (C/C++ , thread-safety , count number of bits ..standard interview questions) . Later on , got an invitation to fly to sunnyvale for the 1-on-1 interview(s) .I was interviews by 4 different enginners . questions ranged from designing a game-system (OO question) , simple algorithms (lookup tables ) and general knowledge (databases,sockets,OS...)

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Phone screen with the director for the team to which I was interviewing. Went well, we talked about my background and skills, what I was looking for, and what they were trying to accomplish. The onsite portion consisted of several hour-long interviews, including an hour for lunch. They questions were fairly easy, in the general vein of problem solving, design patterns, distributed computing, and programming questions.

Interview Questions

• Find the prime numbers less than 10,000 using dynamic programming.   1 Answer
    • Fix a URL matching program written by a junior engineer that takes 4 weeks to output the number of URLs from a set of 100 billion that match a known set of 1 billion URLs. The 1 billion URLs are stored on disk, the machine has 1GB of RAM, and the 100B set is arriving over the network. How to make it take only 4 days?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Negotiations were easy enough. It helped to have an offer in hand from another company nearby, which helped bump up the salary and sign-on bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Went on campus for the interview. Everyone was very friendly and things went smoothly. The campus is very nice, although it seemed kind of quiet when I was there (although that may be because it was a Friday). I got interviewed by four people one after another, each on different topics. The questions were of Average difficulty, and the interviewers were very patient and friendly, helping you along when you were stuck and giving you hints at times without being too lenient.

Interview Questions

• Code up a chess game (OOD question)   Answer Question
    • They might open up a site that has some interesting javascript, and using standard dev tools, take a look at the source code. Then you have to play with the javascript console to accomplish certain simple tasks on the page.   Answer Question
    • How do you switch values of variables A and B without using a third variable for storage?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

Had to constantly keep in touch with HR.

Interview Questions

• Unix based questions - how would you replace a word in a file..grep etc.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not much change in salary, but some negotiation took place.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2010.

Interview

yahoo interview was pretty typical and more traditional. but i know it differs by team. i had a phone interview with an engineering manager and a sr. software engineer. and then i had an onsite interview which consisted of meeting with HR person for like an hour who explained the process and then meeting real people for technical interviews. lunch was provided.

Interview Questions

• some database related questions that i don't exactly remember   Answer Question
    • c/c++ questions that are typical of technical interviews   Answer Question

See What Yahoo Employees Are Saying

StarStarStarStarStar   Former Senior Software Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros: “- Exceptional engineering talent: I worked with some of the brightest and most professional people I have ever met - Great educational and advancement opportunities for new grads...”“- Exceptional engineering talent: I worked with some of the brightest and most professional people I have ever met - Great educational and advancement opportunities for new grads (Engineering Associates Program, Design Associates Program, etc) - EXCELLENT benefits, which is to say, very competitive benefits in Silicon Valley (free meals, gym, on-site health and wellness center, great insurance, 401k matching, etc) - Generous PTO policy: 15 -> 20 PTO days after 3 years, 6 floating holidays (you get them immediately at the beginning of the year, no slow accrual), unlimited sick days” – Full Review