Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA | Glassdoor

Yahoo Interview Questions in Sunnyvale, CA

Updated Sep 21, 2017

257 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Yahoo recruiters and HR team are very unprofessional. The good reputation of Yahoo brand is getting ruined because of these people. I understand they have been processing so many applications per day but it is basic courtesy to respond to applicants with (whatever it may be) interview result. In my case they said I would receive offer, its almost 6 months still no response.

Recruiter contacted me and said he is impressed with my background so asked if I would consider joining Yahoo. I was not interested initially to switch company; because of Yahoo brand and team that I supposed to work seems doing something I wanted to do so I agreed to proceed further. He arranged telephonic interview, which went very well with a coding exercise and technical talk. Then few days later they have arranged on site interview and totally 6 people interviewed me. There were few coding and system design related questions. And there were behavioral related questions also. Everything went well. Team was awesome and they seemed very happy. Interview was average difficult mostly questions are related to my domain. I had to take a day off for this interview.
    Few days later recruiter contacted me and said team was happy with my performance so they wanted to proceed with offer. At this time my application moved to HR department. HR representative contacted me and gathered all details which are required to prepare offer package. I had to wait 2 to 3 weeks after this step to further call from HR; HR said hiring committee still didn’t review the package. I had to take another telephonic interview!! It is nominal procedure for all senior engineers. No one told me about this before. I was surprised even while in the process of getting offer, they wanted to have another round of interview!! What kind of process it is? In between I talked to a director of another group; it looks like they have changed the group where I supposed to work.
    HR said someone would call me for the final telephonic interview. I waited few weeks and lost interest got busy in my current job . Few times I send email to HR and Recruiter to check what happened, no response. I thought yahoo was going through some re-org (Alibaba stock spin off etc) so delay could be because of that. But it doesn’t seem as other candidates in other group were getting offers.

I emailed them recently but there was no response. Seriously!! how much time it takes just to respond. I was happy even if you would have said this position is closed so can't give offer than just ignoring emails. Hope this will be helpful to others so they could expect what would happen in worst case. Don’t resign your current position thinking Yahoo could give you offer. Even they say they would that’s simply not true until the offer package is in your hand.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

It is my opinion that Yahoo is extremely disorganized. That there is little trust from higher ups and from my experience, no one seems to know what is going on. Specially if you are applying for a team that was part of a recently acquired startup, higher ups have little trust or faith in their hiring managers picking candidates. If you're a good engineer I would suggest trying other tech companies. I applied to Yahoo in July 2015 and they managed to waste two months of my life.

Here is my story:
    I got a phone call from one of their hiring managers a few days after I applied. He asked me some general technical questions which I answered. He then set up a second technical phone screen with one of his engineers for the following week. They called me on time and we conducted the second technical phone interview. The challenge was to code up a simple Javascript game with another engineer watching. After I got that one done I was invited for an on site interview. At this point I got in touch with a recruiter which asked me what day would work best for me, after I gave her my preferred schedule, she organized my on site interview a week after that, without even double checking with me.

I didn't have anything going on for that date so I figure she probably confused one Friday with another. Anyways I show up for the on site and get interviewed by five engineers. This is was the most pleasant part of the process. The engineers I talked to were friendly, knowledgeable and professional. There were two coding questions and three design related ones. I answered every single question to the best of my knowledge and the people who were interviewing me seemed to be happy.

After the interview was done I met with the recruiter who was responsible for recruiting for the team that I was interviewing for. This guy was different than the woman who I originally talked to for the on site interview. he took me out to URLs (Yahoo's cafeteria) and told me the interviewers were happy with my performance and there is high chance of moving my application forward with the hiring committee. He then told me he was an amazing recruiter and that he has never had anyone rejected by the hiring committee after he was done with their offer proposal. He then gave me his personal phone number and told me that he is going to call me soon.

A week later he called me and told me that the feedback from everyone was positive and that Yahoo will move my application forward to the hiring committee. He told me this would take some time as higher ups and more specifically Marissa Mayer has to sign off on every new hire. I was told I can expect to hear from them in two weeks.

Then I notice the position I had applied for was being advertised again on LinkedIn. I called the recruiter and asked him "How is the process on my application is coming along." He literally yelled at me and said " I'm your goddamn recruiter, I don't process applications." Then he said I will call you later

"We are going to to need another technical phone interview." why do we another interview, I asked him. I had gone through two phone screens and a full day of on site interviews with "highly positive feedback" according to you. I am currently employed and cannot keep taking time off to conduct more interview He said "This is normal and 1/3 of candidates have to go through it."

We set up a technical phone interview. I get the call and we conduct the interview. The guy interviewing me is professional and knowledgeable but has no idea why he is interviewing me. He says they called him yesterday and told him he needs to interview someone. He asks me two general coding questions which I answer correctly. He seems happy with the result and he hangs up.

At this point I know there is no reason to call the recruiter because he has no interest in talking to me. However the hiring manager that originally contacted me was always prompt and friendly in his response. So I email him and ask him if we're done? The recruiter calls me ten minutes later and tells me that I did not do well on the last technical phone interview and that we were not going to move forward with the offer.

I was fairly disappointed when I heard that, even though I knew it was coming. It is my opinion, the last out of nowhere phone interview was not to gauge my abilities as an engineer, it was for the hiring committee to sink my application without having to tell the seven other people who interviewed me, "We don't trust your judgment, and have no faith in your ability to form a team."

Anyways, It's now Oct 29th 2015. I have a feeling I will look back at this in a few months (if not weeks) and see it as a blessing in disguise.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online for Yahoo Gemini and got a call from Principal Engineer in 3-4 days, requesting for setting up Technical Phone Interview.

1 phone interview : Cleared and got onsite request.
    1 on-site interview : Had 6 rounds each 45 mins. But one guy had to take PTO and ended up having only 5 rounds each 50 mins. 1/5 round was Lunch

Interview Questions

• Phone interview Question: Convert a BST into Doubly Linked List
      Onsite

1st Round: Scaling questions (don't recall them right now, couple of them were related to Kap, DHT, Chord), Sockets, RPC, Reverse Linked List, Circular Linked List, Middle of Linked List.

2nd Round: Coding question. Given an array with unsorted integers, move all even on left side and all odds on right side. After that sort even in increasing order and sort odd in decreasing order

3rd Round: Lunch. Overivew of the team and asking questions about what you are looking for and why are you leaving your current company

4th Round: Coding question.
             1) Write a function which has 2 input (word, random_string), return true if you can construct the word from random_string or else return false. For e.g: "apple", "sxryppaelwb" will return true but "apple", "srxypaelwb" will return false.
             2) Write a function which will sort the input word list into decreasing order of string length only if that word can be constructed from random string.

5th Round: Basic Logical question.
            1) stack increasing decreasing question & code
            2) ps aux | grep "myscript" related question.   1 Answer

Data Insights Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

First, I received the phone interview with the recruiter and then another phone interview with the manager of the Product Analysis Team. After that I was invited to have onsite interview with four interviewers. I talked to each person for 1 hour, respectively. Overall the process went very smooth and they were interested in the thought process and not exact solutions.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

If stuck in a group with polarizing priorities then glass ceiling is inevitable. May be that is the same with any enterprise. Creativity and assertiveness may pave the way. Most of the time if major shake-up is on its way, it could hit you like lightning. I've gone through 3 lay-off and rehire before the termination date. No complaint - every time it is a wake-up call to reality and psych up my survival skill.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a BST into a Binary tree and linked list   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineering Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

They initially said that they were going to give me an offer. A week later the recruiter called back and said the team was going a different direction. It really left a poor impression of Yahoo. Some things may have been out of their hands as Yahoo recently layed off over 10% of their force. Still I would have liked the truth rather than giving me some lame answer. Other than that the interview itself was average.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Extreme slow hiring process, recuiter's work is not professional and not efficient. Recruiter forward my resume to the team. Then the engineer contacted me directly, and arranged the interview. It was wired that the recuiter did not do that.

Senior Internal Tools Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

This was for a senior DPS (Internal Tools) Dev role.
    Phone interview: Got a call from a senior member of the DPS team. We started by chatting about the team, technologies, projects in-progress, etc.
    He then asked some questions regarding my resume, things I'm doing in my current job, etc. Then on to coding/algo questions using collabedit.

In the last 10 minutes of the interview I was able to ask questions about the team, work environment, etc. All in all, I'm definitely more excited about this opportunity now talking to my interviewer (who seemed pretty cool) and hope to get a chance with an on-site interview...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Two phone calls both technical, asking SQL questions and simple tree traversal questions. Also asked scenario questions and how I would analyze the data and go about solving the problem. About a week later I got an email to be brought on site. They pay for airfare, good, and taxis. Once I got there (on Friday for "Yahoo Days"), I did a coding challenge then talked to three members of the team I was applying for. There was a mixer at the end of the day where you're able to talk with other applicants and some employees. My interview was not technically intensive, but others who were interviewing said there interview was almost all coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic tree traversal questions with an alteration to a red black tree   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

The event is called Yahoo! Day, in which almost all candidates are new grads. There were three one-hour technical interviews. The interviewers are all very polite and nice. However in my case Yahoo's recruiters are not professional at all. After the onsite interview I sent them 5 emails to follow up but got zero reply. It has been almost 2 months now.

Interview Questions

• Assume you are designing a CocoaPod package managing system. Try to illustrate how you would resolve package dependencies.   1 Answer
    • Given a set of true statements, for example "A = B", "A = C", "C = E", and a set of false statements, like "A != C", "B != E". Test if the overall result is true.   Answer Question