Yahoo Technical Yahoo Interview Questions

Updated Oct 19, 2015

To filter interviews, or .

Interviews at Yahoo

3.6
HardAverageEasy
Found 17 candidate interviews
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 months. I interviewed at Yahoo (United States)

Interview

2 phone interviews. First one was pretty basic, asked about general concepts like object oriented programming. Second one came about a month later. Interviewer asked me to write some code/pseudocode on collabedit using singly linked lists. Also asked about binary trees and how to find least common ancestor using linked lists. Finally asked go to Sunnyvale for onsite interview day. The interview day took place a month after the second phone interview. The job title "Technical Yahoo" is just a general title for a programmer at yahoo. There are many different programming departments. General presentation of the company is given in front of everyone. Lunch is served. Later, an employee picks you up to take you to a room for interview. They ask technical questions, ask you to write code/pseudocode on whiteboard, explain your code, optimize, etc etc. 3 individual employees have separate 1 hour interview sessions in total. About 1-2 weeks later, you will know if you got an offer or not through email.

Interview Questions
  • Asked me how to implement a garbage collector regarding memory leaks. Not a computer science major so I had no idea how to go about it.
    Answer Question
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
Application

I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA)

Interview

I had two phone interviews, one with an engineer and one with the hiring manager. The first interviewer was pretty inexperienced; he quizzed me on OOP terms for the whole interview (What is an abstract class? What does the static keyword mean?). The second interview was much more enjoyable as the interviewer was more skilled. He asked me to implement a Page class and a Book class, and to use these to determine how many times a given word appeared in a Book. He then asked me to optimize my solution, which I did using a HashMap.

Interview Questions
  • Questions on JavaScript, which I was less familiar with than C++
Anonymous Interview Candidate in United States
Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Yahoo (United States) in Apr 2013

Interview

I dropped my resume in university career fair. And I was contacted quickly after that. I got two interviews, both phone screens.Interview Details – I submitted my resume through the job fair of my university. I got the email of the first interview after more than one month. For the first interview, I was asked some general questions about how to design a problem using different kinds of distributed and parallel tools, like Hadoop, Hadoop PIG, and MPI. I think the reason is that I have previous related projects. No online coding. For the second interview, the interviewer is a system architect. And we only discussed several question of Hadoop and HDFS. Also some general questions about OOP

Interview Questions
Yahoo
Application

Interview

I did two phone screens, talked a lot about iOS Programming. Some questions were pretty general, conceptual. Nothing too bad

Interview Questions
  • How would you manage a file upload from an app? What if the connection is interrupted?
Yahoo
Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo

Interview

I had one phone interview. They asked some basic questions on projects and some programming problems. Then I had an onsite interview. There were 4 rounds. The rounds were based on data structures and algorithms, programming language, object oriented design, database systems and *nix skills

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in Oct 2012

Interview

Via recruiter Not a very satisfactory interview process. Communication is bad. Not tough questions but they try to confuse you a lot. To every interviewer at yahoo!, "Please smile and talk to the person being interviewed. "

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Santa Clara, CA) in Nov 2011

Interview

Got an email for phone screen from Yahoo after attending the college job fair. The interviewer was from Yahoo search team.

Interview Questions
  • Difference between memory allocation of stack and heap
  • Why do we need virtual destructor in c++
  • Difference between pass by value and pass by reference
  • questions on OOPs features, abstract class
Anonymous Employee in Richardson, TX
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Richardson, TX) in May 2011

Interview

I was interviewed by the hiring manager who was later joined by the network architect from his team. It was purely technical interview and lasted for an hour.

Interview Questions
  • What is the protocol number of OSPF?
  • What can be a reason for the OSPF neighbor ship failing after EX-START adjacency?
Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in May 2011

Interview

Phone screen with Manager to get a idea of the fit and basic technical competence on projects. No coding questions on the phone. One site was a about 6 1:1 interviews, all coding on a whiteboard. Lunch with hiring manager wedges the day. What was annoying was I particularly stated I did NOT know PHP, but one interviewer just had a stick up his butt about requiring me to write PHP code to solve problems. I offered Python, C or Javascript solutions (my Java was rusty) but he wanted PHP. More annoying was he had like 1 year out of school experience, and ONLY knew PHP. Silly. The interviewer wasn't even on the team I was interviewing with and I got the job anyway, but just annoying someone focused on language specifics of a language clearly stated I had only briefly looked at.

Interview Questions
  • The 100 locker question, flipping the random lockers. Implement a async job request type system, where a web request would come in, and hit multiple services and collect results, etc.
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA
Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yahoo (Sunnyvale, CA) in Dec 2010

Interview

I applied at a University Career Fair. There were 2 rounds of phone interviews. The people were friendly on phone.

Interview Questions
  • Print nodes visited in the level order traversal. Nodes of each level should be on a single line.
Viewing 1 - 10 of 17