Yale University Interview Questions in Connecticut | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 28, 2017

2.5

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT).

Interview

I reached the PI via email. We arranged a 20 min phone call. I flew to New Haven to give a 1hour talk in front of faculty members of the department (they paid for everything). People were friendly but cold (you sense the Yale ambience). I met with group members and a couple of faculty in person for a 15 talk each.

Interview Questions

• At the seminar they asked me pertinent questions on my work (after all they were expert in that). Questions were mildly difficult, as expected. Then I talked with the PI about job. He didn't into too much detail (I regret I didn't insist)   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT).

Interview

Applied in ~Late November. Got an offer for interview early January. Attended the interview weekend early February (~4 day weekend). The actual interview part was just talking research with several professors. No particularly hard questions asked, mostly just about my own research experience. The hosts were current graduate students. There were also various activities like casual lunches with current faculty, housing tours, etc. Overall an enjoyable experience.

Programmer Analyst III Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in August 2016.

Interview

Typical process meet with the team etc. Nothing bad or good about the interview. Interviewing with HR usually is a total waste of time. HR seems to think they should be the final word on hiring but for what. I have never figured out what HR actually does at a company.

Interview Questions

• What is your greatest strength?   1 Answer

Program Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT).

Interview

Extensive interview process - I met with 9 different people and sent a writing example beforehand. Several officers, department director, and administrative staff. The follow up was relatively quick. The process moved quickly once I got past the useless STARS online application system. Working with a recruiter will allow a more pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to talk about your Microsoft Office skills. Questions were thoughtful and relevant   Answer Question

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in January 2016.

Interview

Complete fit interview, with simple resume and behavioural questions. Questions went along the lines of what your favourite class was, why you chose your major and what was the last writing assignment that you did. It wasn't an incredibly difficult interview, but some interviewers came off as aloof. I did learn a lot about what they did and all in all, it was an enjoyable experience.

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in November 2015.

Interview

Long, drawn out, interview process. You will interview with at least a half dozen people. The interviews are long, usually over an hour each. There is a great amount of questioning on your experience and knowledge of working for an institution of higher education. They fail to divulge that if you are hired you will be required to pay $100+ for parking!

Interview Questions

• What makes Yale different from other similar institutions that makes you want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Be aware that once hired all employees are required to purchase parking. So whatever salary you're negotiating, keep in mind you'll be paying $100 month in parking costs. Negotiate well before accepting a position, because advancement at Yale is nearly nonexistent. Once you start working there, you will receive only a 2-4% annual raise. If you want or expect more you will need to switch departments to progress in your career at Yale.

Postdoctoral Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in November 2015.

Interview

Whole day interview with lab people, gave a talk for 1 hour in the afternoon, was invited to lunch in a nice restaurant. The trip was reimbursed and I like the New Haven Hotel I was staying.

Interview Questions

• what's your future plans?
      Have you applied for fellowships or funding grants?
      Answer Question

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT).

Interview

I did not interview. The job was given to me because of a friend's referral. However, interviews seem to be purely behavioral from my understanding and are typically very easy. For most student worker positions some special super ultra amazing skills are not really necessary.

IT Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in June 2015.

Interview

Phone interview, pre-screen, length of 30 minutes only. Did not get a feel for the environment or engagement, wanting to let them have the information they needed to form their opinion of me. This was followed by in-person interview, and discussion of a specific project. FYI, I was hired for this position, and accepted for this position. The day I arrived, they changed my project, slapped a 40-hour limit on billable hours and informed me I would not be allowed to work remotely.

Interview Questions

• They asked for examples of my project plans, status reports and writing   1 Answer

Buttery Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

There was no interview. I just had to fill out their online form to apply for the job, then a few weeks later I was offered the position, which I accepted. I was offered the job a little over a month before I was due to start working.