Yale University Postdoctoral Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yale University Postdoctoral Interview Questions

Updated Jul 21, 2017

2.4

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Interview

3 people including mentor and director were sitting and asking questions. It was stressful. they asked about the skills. they talked about the future. it was trough Skype.It was stressful. they asked about the skills. they talked about the future. it was trough Skype.

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT).

Interview

I reached the PI via email. We arranged a 20 min phone call. I flew to New Haven to give a 1hour talk in front of faculty members of the department (they paid for everything). People were friendly but cold (you sense the Yale ambience). I met with group members and a couple of faculty in person for a 15 talk each.

Interview Questions

• At the seminar they asked me pertinent questions on my work (after all they were expert in that). Questions were mildly difficult, as expected. Then I talked with the PI about job. He didn't into too much detail (I regret I didn't insist)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in November 2015.

Interview

Whole day interview with lab people, gave a talk for 1 hour in the afternoon, was invited to lunch in a nice restaurant. The trip was reimbursed and I like the New Haven Hotel I was staying.

Interview Questions

• what's your future plans?
      Have you applied for fellowships or funding grants?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in September 2015.

Interview

Sent e-mail to principal investigator. Flown-in for interview from overseas. 20-30 minute one on ones with each lab member. 45-60 minute talk over Ph.D. Had lunch together with lab. Offered job at the end of the day.

Interview Questions

• It seems like you have the necessary skills for the project.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in March 2015.

Interview

Interview was fair and not long. Met with principle investigator and members of lab at the university. Gave overview of my past research and answered questions that they had. I was then given an overview of what kinds of research questions the lab was currently pursuing and the which areas would fit my areas of expertise. It was good to already be familiar with the lab's past research and was informative to learn about the future directions the lab would be headed.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yale University.

Interview

I contacted the group leader sending an email and resume. We had a telephone conversation. He requested 4 letters of recommendations. After a couple of weeks he asked me to visit the lab and give a 1-hour presentation in front of the rest of the department. After another two weeks he contacted me tell me I've been hired. My job started 9 moths later (but it could be sooner if I hadn't an agreement with the previous job).

Interview Questions

• what are you going to bring to the group?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New Haven, CT

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 8+ months. I interviewed at Yale University (New Haven, CT) in June 2014.

Interview

Appointment with 3 different Principal Investigators in the same field. The appointment were dispatched in two days total.
    Around 1h each during which you talk about your past research/contributions/motivations. And a little bit informal question at the end.

Interview Questions

• What did you do during your PhD?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I negotiate nothing else than the starting day for this job

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yale University in April 2014.

Interview

It was highly technical but brief. We talked about the research that they were conducting at Yale, we talked about my goals, the interviewer asked me why I applied and what made me think that this would be a good step for my career.

Interview Questions

• Regarding my research. Why I want to join them. What are my goals.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yale University.

Interview

First is phone interview. Some basic questions about research projects done before, why choose the new lab, any visa sponsorship needs. Then on-site interview to give a presentation, then meet with other postdoc working there.

Interview

Send CV first, got invited for onsite interview. The interview process took one day, including 1 hour presentation and 7-8 people one-to-one interview

Interview Questions

Negotiation

NA