Yammer Data Scientist Interview Questions

Updated Dec 4, 2017

To filter interviews, or .
Found 6 of over 80 interviews

Campus Recruiting17%
3.2
HardAverageEasy

Yammer

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Yammer in Nov 2017

Interview

Application: I submitted my resume online in the early October, and I received the phone interview invitation with other data scientist in the end of October (about 3 weeks). Interview Process: The HR was very friendly and efficient, and had scheduled my first technical phone interview with one data analyst. My first interviewer was very friendly and nice. We had a great conversation. During the interview, this interviewer asked me one probability question, and then some hypothesized questions. These questions are not hard, just need to practice it. Five days after my first phone interview, I got another invitation for my second phone interview. This time, the interview question itself was also not hard, however, I cannot understand the interviewer's questions most of time. Both of us are not native English speaker, therefore, I had to ask the interviewer several times to repeat these questions.

Interview Questions
  • First phone interview: A probability question: roll three 6-sided dices, the probability of three dices are all different. The hypothesized questions: There are two types of office layout designs (I kinda forgot what are these two designs, but something like one is opened and one is closed office), you want to know which design is better. How do you investigate and analyze it? Second phone interview: The hypothesized question: I think I saw this interview question somewhere. I think someone had posted it too. This question is: if you are a manager in a grocery store, which is a branch in a chain store. If you found that some products were sold great in another store, will you increase the numbers of these products in your store? Why?
    Answer Question
2 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA)

Interview

I went for a phone screen with the Director of Analytics. The questions he asked me didn't make much sense. It was all based on probability theory. After the phone interview, I didn't hear back. Nobody sent me an email.

Interview Questions
  • What’s the probability that in a room full of k people, at least 2 people will have the same birthday?
1 person found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in Feb 2016

Interview

Applied online and was contacted through email. The phone interview was explicitly set up for 4:00 pm PST (I'm on CST); however, the interviewer called at 2:15 PST. He apologized for calling 15 minutes late when he was calling almost 2 hours early! I was very disappointed that Yammer couldn't keep track of time zone differences especially when they asked for my availability based on Pacific time. I thought interview went well but was never contacted afterwards (not even with a rejection). Yammer was extremely unprofessional by calling almost two hours early for the interview as well as not communicating with me afterwards. One would expect a company like Yammer could at least email a standard rejection letter to candidates.

Interview Questions
  • Standard background questions as well as probability questions based on dice rolls.
Be the first to find this interview helpful

Yammer

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week. I interviewed at Yammer

Interview

The recruiter reached out to me and was very enthusiastic about my having a phone screen. I had a 30 minute phone screen where there were two probability questions and one open ended analytics about A/B testing. I thought I did reasonably well, but I never heard back from them again.

Interview Questions
  • 1a) If you get $1 per dot on the upturned face of a rolled dice, what is the expected earnings? (Ans: $3.5) 1b) If you could have two chances to roll, and you could decide when to stop rolling (either the first roll or second roll), what would your rolling strategy be? (Ans: If you get anything less than 3.5 on the first roll, then roll again). 1c) What is your expected earning with this two roll strategy? (Ans: $4.25)
6 people found this interview helpful

Yammer

Application

I applied through an employee referral The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yammer

Interview

My resume was passed on to the data analytics team from a person whom I knew worked there. The data team responded to me within a week and scheduled a screen for the following week. The screen was lasted a total of 20 to 30 minutes and they asked me a probability question about the likelihood of probability of two people having the same birthday and a probability/combination card question, then three questions about how to solve data problems.

Interview Questions
4 people found this interview helpful

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in Mar 2013

Interview

I met a couple Yammer Data Scientists at a Drink-up they were holding in the Financial District; after talking, I asked if they needed interns and was directed to a helpful HR employee. Some email back-and-forth happened, and I was scheduled for an initial phone screen. This screen was semi-technical in nature (just a couple probability questions, one involving Bayes Rule), and I was told I'd be contacted regarding a second screen. I didn't hear back for another 3-4 weeks. The screen's are only supposed to last so long, yet both my callers called me late, and the second one was 10-15 minutes late; the second interviewer only had half his intended time to talk to me! Finally, I was told I would be scheduled for an on-site interview and despite the slow prior scheduling process, this is where things took a turn for the positive. First, the conference room they original booked for me to be interviewed in wasn't free'd up by the time I was actually seen (2:00 appointment, I showed up at 1:55, and wasn't see until 2:10). Second, while waiting for the room free up and random employed asked how my interview as going, and when I said it hasn't started yet her response was, (enthusiastically) "Oh. Well. Don't screw up...". My first in-person interview was a product manager who was nice, asked me about my interest in the company and potentially related work. My second interviewer was most likely found at the _very_ last minute, as she admitted to being pulled from her desk and had not been given a chance to go over my resume. A good portion of my time with her was catching her up to speed and giving her my "pitch" (her phrase, not mine). That went alright, she asked me a counting/enumeration/discrete probability question** and a question about how I might go about answer a problem she had when she first started. The next interviewer -- a Berkeley alum -- out of the gate asked me a few (simple) probability questions (which I may have gotten wrong). He asked me an interested Causal Inference question regarding a problem he had, and handed me off to the director of Analytics. Between the two of them, I may have gotten 30 minutes of time: 20 to the Berkeley alum, 10 to the director. The director excused himself to go to another meeting. The entire interview process, from front to back, felt incredibly disorganized and half-hearted. I should note that I started talking to them in mid-January and finally finished the process in the middle of March.

Interview Questions
  • You are compiling a report for user content uploaded every month and notice a spike in uploads in October. In particular, a spike in picture uploads. What might you think is the cause of this, and how would you test it?
8 people found this interview helpful