Yammer Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Yammer Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

3.3

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I went for a phone screen with the Director of Analytics.
    The questions he asked me didn't make much sense. It was all based on probability theory.
    After the phone interview, I didn't hear back. Nobody sent me an email.

Interview Questions

• What’s the probability that in a room full of k people, at least 2 people will have the same birthday?   2 Answers

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted through email. The phone interview was explicitly set up for 4:00 pm PST (I'm on CST); however, the interviewer called at 2:15 PST. He apologized for calling 15 minutes late when he was calling almost 2 hours early! I was very disappointed that Yammer couldn't keep track of time zone differences especially when they asked for my availability based on Pacific time.

I thought interview went well but was never contacted afterwards (not even with a rejection). Yammer was extremely unprofessional by calling almost two hours early for the interview as well as not communicating with me afterwards. One would expect a company like Yammer could at least email a standard rejection letter to candidates.

Interview Questions

• Standard background questions as well as probability questions based on dice rolls.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

The interview process starts with a Homework to be completed at your convenience. The homework takes 3-5 hours depending on your familiarity with the product and feature in the homework. If the team is happy with the work, they will ask you for a call interview with two PMs. Finally, if you have done well, you will be invited to a round of interview on-site.

I found the process was pleasant and professionally handled by the recruiter. The turn-around is quick and communication is professional.

With that said, the phone call for my case was postponed since the interviewers were a no-show to the scheduled time. I was able to get in touch with the recruiter and manage to squeeze the interview between two appointments that made the interview a bit rushed for me.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working for Yammer?   Answer Question
    • Pick an app you like and use. Why did the company build this product and how would you improve it?   Answer Question
    • Homework question
      Pick Twitter or Medium. Based on the choice you will also pick one recent feature and answer the following questions. I picked Medium and Inline Editor feature.
      1. What do you think Medium’s hypothesis was for the Inline Editor and how do you think they measured results? How do you think they defined success before they shipped the Inline Editor?
    • Homework question
      2. Design an additional change to Medium that builds on the successful outcome of the Inline Editor (include rough mocks if possible). Why build this change?
    • Homework question
      3. Based on your hypothesis and metrics from the first question, let’s assume the Inline Editor feature had failed. What would that tell you? What would you do next?

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Recruiter call, Phone Screen, 5 on-site interviews. All of the interviews took a similar format of asking some math and probability questions and then discussing various scenarios where data and measurements are applied to a situation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

After the phone interview, which pretty much follows the structure you can find online on Medium, I was invited onsite. I spent the whole day, had about 9 or 10 interviews with groups of 1-6 people. However, the process was very friendly and positive.
    I was interviewed by product managers, UX designers, developers, statisticians, and finally VP of product. The questions were regular product management questions, like ones you can find in any book about the preparation.
    What is important, they try to understand how you think. I was asked many questions about modern trends in mobile development and understanding why developers made the product this way but no other. We evaluated different mobile apps, like LinkedIn and others. Be prepared, install and understand several.

Interview Questions

• Why app developers try to separate functionality and create different apps? Why LinkedIn created separate LinkedIn Job Search? What are the pros and cons of such approach?   1 Answer

Data Scientist (Product Intelligence Manager) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in March 2014.

Interview

1) 30 min HR screening phone interview: What do you know about Yammer? Why do you want to work at Yammer? Tell me about your background.
    2) Two technical phone interview with data scientists, 30min each. Each one had a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case.
    3) On-site interview: 6 interviews, 1 HR and 5 technical with data scientists. Each technical interview has a probability / statistics brain teaser and an open-ended business case, very similar to the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Example probability brain teasers: probabilities when rolling two dice twice with the second roll depending on the outcome of the first, the German tank problem, breaking a 4-digit code with different prior information etc. In total: know your combinatorics and Bayes rule in-and-out!

Example business cases:
      - You own a museum and consider putting up an exhibition by a new artist. How would you go about the decision? What kind of information / data would you look for, how would you use it?
      - You want to buy a TV on amazon.com. How do you make a decision?
      - You performed A/B testing on a change in a search engine algorithm. Although in B, the coders made a mistake which led to really poor search results, user clicked on more results as well as on more ads. How do you interpret the results, what do you do next? etc.
      In total, they look for how you think and approach a problem. They often want to know how you deal with incomplete information, short timelines, trade-offs.

Overall, all interviewers were very friendly and professional. My HR contact was very responsive throughout the whole process. My interview process was unusually long because of visa questions - normally they are faster than 3 months;-)

Product Intelligence Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I applied this online. A few weeks later I got the first phone interview. He asked me about my general background, some probability question and a short problem solving question.
    I got the second round onsite interview in SF. It takes from noon to afternoon with a group of candidates in the building. It consists four round of individual interviews meeting with one of the analytics team member a time. They tend to ask you about some probability questions and problem solving things. Actually, all types of questions will be asked.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Initial conversation with recruiter, then homework assignment to discuss a feature from Spotify or Facebook, and follow up discussion with 1 or 2 Product Managers by phone. Final stage: in person interviews? Don't know yet.

Interview Questions

• Choose any web service, and then discuss features on it, and in particular answer questions about why a particular was introduced, and how to measure its success or otherwise.   Answer Question

Product Information Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

first was an online web challenge - this is mostly probability type questions. then came a technical phone interview. apparently this is very hit or miss for people because your success here is completely dependent on your interviewer. i got a bunch of questions about coin tossing and dice rolling. last was the onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• during my onsite most of the questions were very open ended. none of them were particularly technical, though.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yammer (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had an initial phone call from HR which went well and was followed by a project. I was asked to redesign a Yammer feature with explicit and assumed constraints, and put together a presentation. They suggest that candidates spend no more than 3-5 hours on it, but I wanted to be thorough and spent approximately 20 hours. Every beat was hit and in testing, the feature I redesigned improved the UX and conversions in 5-second tests.

A few days after I submitted it for review, I received a response and was told that everything was great except I totally botched one aspect of it. They would not be moving forward, citing that I missed the mark on a key point (to be fair, the feature doesn't actually work on the product). Despite the defense of my design, they pretty much shut me down then and there and I never heard from them again.

The experience was unpleasant and unprofessional, and I did not get the sense that they were remotely open to any idea that didn't match their own. Based on my experience, it was not a nurturing work environment.

Interview Questions

• Redesign a specific feature and create a presentation around it.   Answer Question