Yankee Candle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 16, 2017

2.1

16 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Brand Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

Was sourced by an internal recruiter at the company for a brand manager position out in their Western Massachusetts office. The entire day was well-planned, but I didn't get much of a tour ahead of my first interview. The questions posed by the first woman I met with, one of two Directors, seemed very constructed and straightforward. When answering, even if I spoke for 1-2 minutes, I could tell she was bored. I came prepped with my research, a marketing campaign idea, and associated presentation, and she has no interest in any of my work. It was a great position on paper, but the company culture seems to have a lot lacking. Additionally, everyone I met that day said they were trying to "change" the culture of the company, but didn't seem very aligned with their feedback. Lots of red flags. I wouldn't consider relocating here for this position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Basic behavioral questions etc.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO).

Interview

Filled out info card in the store after seeing a hiring sign. I was called a few days later asking if I could come in for an interview. The interview was conducted by the temporary manager because their manager left and they are looking for a new one. She asked me basic questions. The type of questions no job even asks anymore like "what are your strengths/weaknesses," and "if you were an animal, which would you be." I thought it was inappropriate that she asked my age.Those questions don't mean anything and don't help employers evaluate potential candidates. Overall it took about 15 mins. The interviewer was nice, but really out of her element conducting interviews. After, she told me they'd call the following Monday to let me know. 3 weeks later and have not heard anything. I just think it's really unprofessional not to even give someone the courtesy of following up or doing what you say you'll do. I know it's hard to tell someone he/she doesn't have the job, but still! It'd be nice to know either way.

Interview Questions

• What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      If you were an animal, which would you be and why?
      Feel free to tell me your age or whatever you want about yourself.
      What is your sales/retail experience?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Spokane, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a little intimidating. The assistant manager interviewed me in the food court and the entire time she seemed to want to rush through the interview and was a little rude. When the interview was over she said i would get a call in the next week or so. I waited three weeks and went into the store personally to check up several times, about the third time she just told me right out that they had hired someone else.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online several months prior to receiving a call. Call consisted of brief questions concerning my experience. Interview with store manager was very relaxed. Explained job expectations and filled out hard copy of application. Given background of interviewer and company.

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Stamford, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with a store manager. She was very pleasant and laid back. Described the job very well. Asked about my retail experience and why I applied to Yankee Candle. I was very comfortable . Explained to me district manager upon her recommendation would do a second interview. Hopefully I will get to that step.

Interview Questions

• Asked me what fragrance I liked the best. Also if I would have a problem working with the scents.   Answer Question

Retail Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Indianapolis, IN) in March 2015.

Interview

I was asked my interest in retail and was I enthusiastic about sales. I was asked my knowledge of microsoft office and excel for reporting and understanding average dollar sales, conversion, sales budget and comparisons etc. Do I like management and working as a team. It was very informal and over the telephone.

Interview Questions

• Do you understand the importance of conversion regarding retail sales.   1 Answer

Sales Associate At Yankee Candle Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Paramus, NJ) in October 2014.

Interview

ist interview was with store manager went extremely well I was asked to come back for a second.I was interviewed by the 2nd asst mgr...she was not nice..ok a know it all...a week went by and no phone call..they didn't even check my references...I called and I was told they offered position to another,,,What went wrong?????? I always wanted to work there and I told them that...waste of my time..I thought if a candidate would call it would sound that they really wanted the job..I am a collector of there candles and even thought of not patronizing them anyore..I was so upset..and hurt

Assistant Manager/Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Millville, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Millville, NJ) in September 2014.

Interview

Filled out application and was contacted by the DM about 1-2 weeks after applying online. Had to drive about an hour away for interview with DM. Arrived 10 minutes early and She wasn't there yet. The Store Manager at the location had me fill out a whole new application and a background check paper. She arrived about 20 minutes late. The interview took about 30 minutes. Then was told back ground check would take up to a month to come back. So I waited two weeks and called DM to see how everything was going. And she said they still haven't got anything back. So I called again at 4 weeks and didn't get an answer so I left a message never got a call back. So called again at 5 weeks because the jobs were no longer posted on website and no answer again. So I left another message hoping to get a call back. And nothing I would think with hiring for Management position they would call you back to let you know either way.

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

I applied online. It took couple weeks for the hiring manager to call me. I missed the call and immediately called back only to respond that I couldn't make it to their interview day. They said they'll call back within the next two days. It had been a week and finally heard back from them. However, I missed the call and called them back only to be informed that they'll call me back to set up an interview. It had been another week. It's literally a phone tag. Especially when I received a voicemail from a different woman for Yankee Candle and gave one last final call to inquire about setting up an interview (and finally talked to the hiring manager) the tone of her voice was...not welcoming. She told me that she would call back next week. When the next week came and went, I decided that this was enough. This made me think twice about taking an interview with them and walked away. Plus, the hiring manager's voice was brusque and unpleasant, especially to a potential interviewee.

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2014.

Interview

I received a short phone call from a HR recruiter, who asked basic questions about my background and experience. At the end of that call, another phone interview was scheduled with the vice president for the next morning. The vice president called 15 minutes late of the scheduled time and then essentially made up a story to get off the phone 15 minutes later. It was weird yet obvious that I was be written off (or rather hung up on).

Interview Questions

• The HR recruiter essentially had me go over my curriculum vitae. The vice president didn't actually ask a question. (I'm not even sure he asked, "How are you?")   Answer Question