Yankee Candle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 3, 2017

2.2

Retail Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sicklerville, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Sicklerville, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process took a week and 4 days. I submitted my application in person on a Wednesday and was called that same day to schedule an interview. The interview took place on Friday the week after and was a one on one, very personal and easy basic questions. I was called back the next monday and was told that I got the job and that I'd start work a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Whats your availability like? Whats your favorite scent? How would you sell that scent to a customer? Why do you want to work at yankee candle? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Payment is minimum wage. Non negotiatable in any way.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Central City, FL

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Central City, FL).

Interview

I was offer the job to move up in the company. Had worked my way up. Started as a second assist.I had only one interview which was the DM at that time. He was the one that had ask me to apply for the job.

Interview Questions

• Where were I like to be in a year? How would I handle a mad customer. Do I mind working on hoildays.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Spokane, WA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Spokane, WA) in July 2015.

Interview

It was a little intimidating. The assistant manager interviewed me in the food court and the entire time she seemed to want to rush through the interview and was a little rude. When the interview was over she said i would get a call in the next week or so. I waited three weeks and went into the store personally to check up several times, about the third time she just told me right out that they had hired someone else.

Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Colorado Springs, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Colorado Springs, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

I have a phone interview follow by a one on one interview with the District Manager. A week later had a phone interview with the Regional Manager. A background check was done before an offer was given.

Interview Questions

• How do I handle difficult situations?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Saint Augustine, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Saint Augustine, FL).

Interview

I was referred to the job through a friend who works there. I met with the Assistant Manager first due to the Manager being away to help another store, and was given a basic screening. I received a text to come in a few days later and I was given my real interview. That went smoothly and I was told that they would be in contact with me in a few days and that they had two more people interviewing for the job. A few days later I received a call stating I got the job because I really had the "Yankee Candle personality" and would fit in well.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online several months prior to receiving a call. Call consisted of brief questions concerning my experience. Interview with store manager was very relaxed. Explained job expectations and filled out hard copy of application. Given background of interviewer and company.

Interview Questions

• Typical scripted "tell me about a time when" questions   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

The Store Manager just asked some basic questions of me in-person and I spoke to a woman over the phone a few days later, who introduced herself as the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I handle upset customers.   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Stamford, CT

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Stamford, CT) in May 2015.

Interview

Interviewed with a store manager. She was very pleasant and laid back. Described the job very well. Asked about my retail experience and why I applied to Yankee Candle. I was very comfortable . Explained to me district manager upon her recommendation would do a second interview. Hopefully I will get to that step.

Interview Questions

• Asked me what fragrance I liked the best. Also if I would have a problem working with the scents.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy. Few questions to answer. Ask what you would do when there is a conflict between a co worker and yourself. Ask what is the hardest conflict you've had to overcome. All very basic questions you can answer.

Interview Questions

• How can you sell me this candle?   1 Answer

Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2015.

Interview

I would say it was an average time length before I got a call to come in. During the interview the Manager made comments like, "I don't like these questions." "They make us ask these questions I'm sorry." Why are you apologizing? The questions are there for a reason, and if you don't know the reason maybe you don't know what answers you are supposed to be looking for.She also asked what position I was applying for because she wasn't sure what they posted. When I said "Ast. Mgr." she stated it was for 1st or 2nd ast. mgr. I explained I didn't know what either was. She tried to explain saying they do what the store manager does but I heard no difference in the job description. I was unsure if she even knew, despite being with the company over 5 years. She explained her experience with Yankee and how she left and tried to look for another job and came back and thought, "well I'll just stay till I can find something else." Wow that sounded like she really wanted to come back. Again not a positive thing to say to a potential employee. What came next was the deal breaker for me. She asked me about my salary requirements and when I gave her my numbers, her response was, "Well our company doesn't pay well, we are high end." What? Done. I am thankful I was offered another position with another company. Is it legal to ask for your birthdate on paperwork, without an offer to do a background check? In my experience you are offered the job PENDING passing the background check. No offer was made before filling out the paperwork.