Yankee Candle Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yankee Candle Interview Questions

Interviews at Yankee Candle

2.1

Director Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in March 2014.

Interview

I received a short phone call from a HR recruiter, who asked basic questions about my background and experience. At the end of that call, another phone interview was scheduled with the vice president for the next morning. The vice president called 15 minutes late of the scheduled time and then essentially made up a story to get off the phone 15 minutes later. It was weird yet obvious that I was be written off (or rather hung up on).

Interview Questions

• The HR recruiter essentially had me go over my curriculum vitae. The vice president didn't actually ask a question. (I'm not even sure he asked, "How are you?")   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Pembroke Pines, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Pembroke Pines, FL) in April 2016.

Interview

I walked into the store asking for the manager to ask if they're hiring, what are the requirements, etc. The manager wasn't there so another associate gave me an application packet but emphasized that i needed to be 18. (i'm 17..) When i went to turn the packet in the manager was entering and i shook her hand, gave her my name and left. Exactly one week later they called me in for an interview. Store Manager was busy so the District Manager held the interview. It was individual.

Interview Questions

• What products do you own from Yankee Candle?   1 Answer
    • In my resume (i'm still in highschool) she asked what do i do in the clubs im in   Answer Question
    • how do i act as a leader/what leadership qualities do i have   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Virginia Beach, VA) in March 2012.

Interview

Very casual and laid back. We met outside the store and spoke for about 20-25 mins. Asked the general questions, what are your strengths? Tell me about yourself. What is your availability? Conversation flowed freely.

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Los Angeles, CA) in September 2011.

Interview

*Please keep in mind I interviewed more than 5 years ago and a lot has changed*

The interview was more like a conversation. The store manager wanted to get to know me, mostly about my personality/customer service.
    We talked for about a half an hour. At the time the company still required us to take personality tests and a skills test. Those were all done by hand. The company no longer requires those tests.
    It was a fairly easy interview.
    Dress in business attire. Be positive and genuine.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what my definition of customer service is.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sicklerville, NJ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Sicklerville, NJ) in August 2015.

Interview

The hiring process took a week and 4 days. I submitted my application in person on a Wednesday and was called that same day to schedule an interview. The interview took place on Friday the week after and was a one on one, very personal and easy basic questions. I was called back the next monday and was told that I got the job and that I'd start work a week later.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. Whats your availability like? Whats your favorite scent? How would you sell that scent to a customer? Why do you want to work at yankee candle? Why should we hire you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Payment is minimum wage. Non negotiatable in any way.

Anonymous Employee in Lake Grove, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Lake Grove, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I walked in the store and asked to speak to a manager, where I then told her of my past experience at another Yankee Candle location and asked if the store was hiring. The manager was extremely kind and right away gave me an application and asked me to come back the next day. When I did so, she asked me a few questions about my work ethic and why I have again chosen to work at Yankee Candle. The whole interview was very relaxed and I felt totally comfortable. I was hired on the spot, I look forward to starting!

Interview Questions

• I was asked to describe an instance where I had a difficult time following the rules.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Cleveland, OH) in July 2013.

Interview

They do not make you fill out an application until after you receive a job offer. Instead they use interest cards which lists the basic information and job availability. I was asked about 10 to 15 questions during the interview.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were in a disagreement and how did it get resolved?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Southlake, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Southlake, TX) in May 2016.

Interview

The Manager brought me into the back room for a one on one, she was very nice. She read my application papers (which, at least at the store I worked at, must be sent physically and not electronically) and asked me about my schedule, interests, skills, etc...

Interview Questions

• Do you have any special skills?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO) in May 2015.

Interview

Pretty easy. Few questions to answer. Ask what you would do when there is a conflict between a co worker and yourself. Ask what is the hardest conflict you've had to overcome. All very basic questions you can answer.

Interview Questions

• How can you sell me this candle?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Yankee Candle.

Interview

The assistant manager (acting manager at the time) took me to the food court and we sat at a secluded table. He asked me several questions and gave me encouraging feedback. It was very laid-back and took about 30 minutes. He offered me the job at the end.

Interview Questions

• What are some questions you would ask a customer to find them a fragrance they might like?   Answer Question