Yankee Candle Second Assistant Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yankee Candle Second Assistant Manager Interview Questions

Updated Mar 3, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Baltimore, MD).

Interview

I applied both online and in person at the store. I wrote my availabilty on an interest card and they called me within a week. The interview was mostly easy behavioral and back round experience questions. I was offered the position but there was no negotiation on the salary.

Interview Questions

• Experience with managing sales associates?   1 Answer

Negotiation

N/a

Other Interview Reviews for Yankee Candle

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, KY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Louisville, KY) in January 2016.

Interview

Two interviews require. But the process is cake really, not many requirements as the pay rate is very low. Anyone could be hired here as long as you haven't killed anyone or anything like that before.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online several months prior to receiving a call. Call consisted of brief questions concerning my experience. Interview with store manager was very relaxed. Explained job expectations and filled out hard copy of application. Given background of interviewer and company.

Interview Questions

• Typical scripted "tell me about a time when" questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Denver, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

The Store Manager just asked some basic questions of me in-person and I spoke to a woman over the phone a few days later, who introduced herself as the District Manager.

Interview Questions

• I was asked how I handle upset customers.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lowell, MA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Lowell, MA).

Interview

I went in and applied for the position. I got a call back within a week of applying. I went in for a interview a week later. Everything went well, so they said I would have to meet the DM for the area before offering the job. Had to wait about 2 weeks to meet the DM. After that I was started within 1 1/2 weeks.

Interview Questions

• They asked about my knowledge of candles and about my customer service abilities.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate anything about pay. I was told $9.75 was the pay for the position.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in July 2013.

Interview

Very good interview. Lots of good questions and it wasn't nerve racking. I sat down and we began to talk abot the product and what the job would entail. I sat there for about an hour and laughed about everything. I would do it over again and the people I work with are great.

Anonymous Employee in Hickory, NC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Hickory, NC) in January 2011.

Interview

Filled out paper application which was nice. Received a call where an interview time was agreed upon. Interview was professional and polite asked job related questions first then those silly situational questions.

Received a callback requesting second interview with District manager. Questions were more intense and long term.

All and all good experience.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a disgruntled guest.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle (Cincinnati, OH) in October 2010.

Interview

I was contacted by email to call and set up a face to face interview. I called and set up an interview for the following day. I walked into the retail store and the First Assistant Manager took me outside of the store over to a bench inside the mall and he asked me a bunch of questions like how do I resolve an issue with a sales associate if I know they are doing something wrong, or what type of sales strategy do I think would be used in this type of retail setting, what is my availability as far as nights, weekends and holidays, what is the most important part of being in this type of business, why would I want to work in a Yankee Candle, describe my level of organization.

Interview Questions

• What type of sales strategy would you use in this type of business?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate that on certain holidays I'd want to travel because I had family that lived far away, so on certain busy retail days, I wouldn't be available. I also wanted a starting hourly wage of between $9 and $11 an hour, which they originally offered $8.50 and I got the $9.

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in January 0000.

Interview

Overall the interview process was one of the best I have had. The General Manager of the store at that time was pleasant and very focused on improving her staff. The VSM I interviewed with was also very concerned with improving the store. However, be careful with what you agree to in the interview. The job description they give is not completley correct. They also tell you there is a lot of room for advancement. In our entire district, I have seen one person advance.

Interview Questions

• How would you provide proper coaching methods to improve sales associates?   Answer Question

Second Assistant Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Yankee Candle in September 2011.

Interview

Generally non descript interview process. I applied online for a different position/location but the availability changed and I interviewed at a new location. Had a brief phone interview then an in person 1:1 interview at the store. Associates & management staff were very professional & polite and laid out everything needed to know about the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself?   Answer Question
    • Has there ever been a rule you have been forced to follow that you didn't agree with? Explain.   Answer Question