Year Up Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Year Up Interview Questions

Updated Feb 17, 2017

2.9

Student Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Year Up.

Interview

Very long and detailed interview. They will ask personal and professional questions to try and get to know you and to see if you are fit for the program.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Year Up (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Entire process only took 3 weeks: initial interview with a recruiter, then interview with similar position at another location, then final interviews with the site's executive director and site director. Every step in the process was clear and professional.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions:
      - why did you apply?
      - tell me a time when....
      - what are your long term goals?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't need to negotiate because the compensation and offer were very competitive.

Partner Relations Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Year Up in January 2017.

Interview

The first interview is with the HR person and it is very formal, scripted and not conversational at all. I understand that HR has the job of filtering through a ton of people but I don't think an interrogation style is the best way to feel out a candidate, especially for a sales position. I wasn't even allowed to ask questions until the very end of the call and even then the answers I received felt rushed. I would skip HR if possible and try going direct to the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell Year Up to potential partners? What is your salary requirement? Why are you interested in this position?   Answer Question

Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Year Up.

Interview

About a 5 week process. I had an initial phone screening, then 2 in person interviews. I interviewed with 2 people for each in person so it wasn't bad. I thought my first in person was a lot harder because one of the interviewers kept interrupting me to ask a different question that was related to the first, so it was hard to back track to the first question. Otherwise, everyone was very kind and helpful with information.

Interview Questions

• Can you explain the opportunity divide?
      If you had 120 students to serve in your position what would be your course or action?

Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Year Up in November 2016.

Interview

Submitted application but did not receive initial phone interview for a few months. Once I received the phone interview, I had two more interviews with in four days. Within the next week I was booked to fly out to the site and was interviewed by other team members and Year Up young adults. The process was slow to begin, but was extremely quick once the process began. On site, I had the opportunity to observe a lesson and interact with Young Adults. Regarding the interviews, I had an initial phone interview with a national recruiter, a Skype interview with the site director, a second Skype interview with the social services manager and founding program manager. Once on site I had an interview with the executive director and a panel of young adults. You can literally feel the magic.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with "dotted line leadership." What are your techniques for motivating someone that you do not directly supervise?   Answer Question
    • What are some innovative initiatives that you would implement to ensure that cultural competency is highlighted in our program?   Answer Question
    • There were many situational questions asked. Be prepared to talk about "what if" scenarios with young adults in your classroom.   Answer Question
    • what does the opportunity divide mean to you, and why do you want to work for year up?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do not be afraid to negotiate salary (especially if you are living in a large city,) and don't be afraid to ask about relocation reimbursement.

Partner Relations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Year Up (Boston, MA) in October 2016.

Interview

I had the opportunity to have a phone interview within a week of sending over my resume. The interviewer was non conversational and seemed to read from a list of questions. There were no follow on questions. I heard from them regarding an in person interview about two weeks after the phone interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would sell Year Up
      What would your communication strategy be?
      How have you engaged and embraced diversity?
      What are your salary requirements?
      Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Year Up.

Interview

Length was good. Interviews were friendly and comfortable. There was also plenty of time and opportunity to ask questions. It was really very good all around.It felt like maybe it went on for a longer period of time than necessary, but that's not unusual.

Interview Questions

• Why I was interested in working there. What I knew about the org.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Year Up.

Interview

The whole process took 2+ months, I applied in Jan and didn't get a final answer until late March. Did a phone interview, an in office with, and then I had to prepare a presentation and interview with 4 other people. Intense and exhausting. They also said they would reach out to my reference but never did. I was very excited in the beginning but in the end it felt like they were dragging it out and did not care. Bummer because I really believe in what they do.

Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Year Up (Seattle, WA) in June 2016.

Interview

Negative experience. The process took two weeks. Relatively fast to clear a phone interview and obtain an in-person interview. Interviewed with a panel of two- one was clearly experienced in interviews and very professional. The other was cold, inpersonable and cut me off multiple times to ask for a generic interview answers. This individual was not open to clarifying question from me as a candidate. I have been interviewing candidates as a non-profit director for years and recognized this as disinterest in me as a candidate immediately. I have never been so cold to any individual in an interview. This seems like an honorable organization with wonderful intentions and a positive impact that probably does not treat employees well. Corporate appearance of individuals promoting economic empowerment. Definitely not a come as you are non-profit. Interviewers openly admitted to being overworked, wearing many hats and stated the interview process was fast due to urgency in filling a gap. I suspect I was only interviewed to meet an HR standard.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in working here?   1 Answer

Admissions Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Year Up in May 2016.

Interview

Phone interview with 2 people for 30 minutes. In the original e-mail, I was told that the interview would be for 30 minutes and to select dates/times I would be available. After doing so, I received a confirmation email stating that the interview would be for one hour-- but that wasn't the case. It was pretty simple, felt like a conversation. I was told I would hear back in 2-3 weeks and its been one month. Glad I didn't have all of my eggs in one basket. I currently work in admissions, and its hard telling someone if he/she isn't the right fit-- but I do it. It's unprofessional and disrespectful to someone that is currently looking for a job. They clearly do not have the decency to be straightforward with folks.