Year Up Program Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Year Up Program Manager Interview Questions

3.4

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Program Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Year Up in October 2015.

Interview

Long and drawn out- it took place over 3 months with 4 different interviews. The organization will say they want to ensure they get the best candidate, but that can be done more efficiently. Phone interviews were handled efficiently and well organized. Directors and talent acquisition gave great insight into roll and expectations, passion for organizational mission. Interview in person was unprofessional. Staff person was late (20 min) and unprepared. Took a month to get a response.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Year Up

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodbridge, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Year Up (Woodbridge, VA) in January 2016.

Interview

Overall was good. Phone interview, on-campus interview, and then a final interview with the head of the campus. The final interview was strange, didn't understand why it was needed and the person interviewing me did not seem engaged in what I had to say. Was great until the last phone call.

Interview Questions

• Talk about your experience working with diverse populations   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Year Up (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

About 2 weeks after initial application, HR representative scheduled a 30min phone interview, where she described the role and organization briefly. She then asked me some basic questions about my past roles and experience, and why I wanted to work with Year Up. It was a wonderful conversation, and at the end she did ask about desired salary range.
    Next, was invited to do an in-person interview with Sr. Director of Program. Was a great conversation, and she asked many scenario questions: "If you see that a particular group of students are firing themselves from program, what kinds of interventions might you put into place?". A few days later, I was invited for a final interview with the Associate Director of Program, and Associate Director of Student Services. They asked many scenario questions as well, and throughout the whole process were open to me asking questions.
    That interview happened on a Friday, and about a week later received the offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you think you would handle managing up to other staff to make sure they are fulfilling their coaching obligations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phila, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Year Up (Phila, PA) in July 2017.

Interview

Very lengthy, expect at least four interviews over several weeks. Some people respond and act quickly to get you through the various interview processes, some are slower. I had a phone interviews, personality profile to complete, and two in person interviews.

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Year Up (Seattle, WA).

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person. The in person was a panned, which could be a little intimidating. They asked a lot of really thoughtful youth development questions that gave me confidence in their programs. However, when I was offered the job, I was expected to take the job right then and there on the phone. When I asked if I could see an offer letter and have a day or two to decide, I was told they don't do that. I was really excited about the opportunity, but the phone call offering me the job made me feel uneasy enough that I decided to go with another offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Year Up (Philadelphia, PA) in July 2017.

Interview

Was called the day before and asked to prepare a lesson plan for the 3rd interview. This interview was in another state and would take an hour to get there. Was not told about parking or even who I would be teaching. I get there and pay 20 dollars to park only for the staff to be rude and unprofessional. The two students I met where great.

Program Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Year Up in November 2016.

Interview

Submitted application but did not receive initial phone interview for a few months. Once I received the phone interview, I had two more interviews with in four days. Within the next week I was booked to fly out to the site and was interviewed by other team members and Year Up young adults. The process was slow to begin, but was extremely quick once the process began. On site, I had the opportunity to observe a lesson and interact with Young Adults. Regarding the interviews, I had an initial phone interview with a national recruiter, a Skype interview with the site director, a second Skype interview with the social services manager and founding program manager. Once on site I had an interview with the executive director and a panel of young adults. You can literally feel the magic.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience with "dotted line leadership." What are your techniques for motivating someone that you do not directly supervise?   Answer Question
    • What are some innovative initiatives that you would implement to ensure that cultural competency is highlighted in our program?   Answer Question
    • There were many situational questions asked. Be prepared to talk about "what if" scenarios with young adults in your classroom.   Answer Question
    • what does the opportunity divide mean to you, and why do you want to work for year up?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Do not be afraid to negotiate salary (especially if you are living in a large city,) and don't be afraid to ask about relocation reimbursement.