Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Feb 25, 2017

2.9

Account Executive Interview

Interview

Lots of phone screens and skype sessions with multiple managers. The last interview was with the Director of Sales himself. For a company that has so much pride on a sense of "community," the interviewers made it a point that this was a hard, cold-calling sales position - basically bothering small businesses to purchase advertising packages and leveraging their Yelp page, and in a sense their businesses.

After these situational oriented role plays and what-if scenarios, the director gave me advice that he said would help in all of my sales careers- to take an aggressive approach in the sales process. Having three years of consultative sales experience was NOT what they were looking for, which is fine, but that was the most BS advice. Now I am happily employed with a top fortune 50 company where sales is anything but aggressive.

50K a year in the Bay Area to bother small business owners does NOT sound like a career. What was I thinking?

Interview Questions

• A pizza parlor won't purchase premium advertising on Yelp. Convert them. Then they will come up with objections, such as "the pizza parlor likes and always has advertised on a local newspaper."   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I met with a recruiter at a career fair. Submitted my resume online and a few days letter a phone interview was scheduled. Followed by an on-site interview. The interviews were big on role play and typical interview questions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

First there was a phone interview which was easy, they just want to get a feel for your personality and phone demeanor. Then a week and a half later came the in-person interviews; in the same day I met with two employees. This included general interview questions, explaining to them why I want to work at Yelp, how my past work experiences will prepare me for this role, etc. Then there was a brief role play exercise, and I got some positive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Let's role play: I'm a pizza shop owner, I've never done any advertising. Try to sell me on Yelp Ads.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

You complete one preliminary phone interview. If you're selected to move forward after that, you are invited to the Yelp office to meet with three different Sales Managers (separately) for an in-person interview process.

Interview Questions

• What is one thing you genuinely tried hard at, but still failed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1st call = 10-15 minutes just to see if you are not a debbie downer
    2nd (last in-person interview) = 1 quick 10-20 tour of office, and 20-30 minutes interview with role play and feedback. Mainly just seeing if you are coachable and can implement feedback on the fly

Interview Questions

• 1st call = explained their role, how long they been working there, asked me why sales, why I want to work there
      2nd in-person = why sales, why cold calling, talked about career opportunity, and did a role play about me being on bart and someone asking about my badge and etc. Just wanted to see if I could implement the feedback for the retrial of the role play.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

They contact you telling that they want to have quick call wth you. Initial interview is for 10-15 minutes. After that they send you email to visit them onsite. Recruiter tells you about position longer then you have time to response. they are mostly looking for fresh graduates and only think they want you do is to dial 80 calls per day. Pay is very low

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience?
      are you comfortable with called calling?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I have applied through yelp official website. A couple of days they emailed me first asking me what date would be fine for my phone interview then 2 weeks later they called me. she was nice to me interview took 10 minutes questions were well easy to answer. I have applied coz yelp is a big company but after I have read mostly negative comments felt made a mistake

Interview Questions

• why sales? why yelp? can you make 80 to 100 cold call?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone screen, then interview my two team managers in separate rooms. Purpose is to gage personality and confidence. Have fun and show strengths in sales ability. Talk about something a past manager who gave rave reviews of your work ethic. If you can't handle being under fire with questions need not apply.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied at college fair and heard back from recruiter asking to set up interview times. Had phone interview then was offered in person interview. Since I couldn't go in person I had a Skype interview. Interviewers were friendly. The entire process took a few months. Was told if I got the job within a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone screen/1st Interview was very conversational. Without giving his name, he was very enjoyable to talk to and it definitely shows how pleasant some employees can be. They are going to ask you very simple questions, to make sure that you're not a debbie downer. Yelp is a young culture, they are growing constantly and don't like to be around negativity.

The One-on-One was with two people, Sales Manager and Sales Trainer. They role-play with those they are iffy with, sales isn't a walk in the park, but it's also not rocket science. A big thing they look for is confidence, honesty, and drive to get better.

Interview Questions

• Many people that we hire have no or minimum sales experience, why do you think you would do well in Advertising Sales?   1 Answer
    • Here at Yelp, we offer continuous feedback. How well do you take to feedback?   1 Answer