Yelp Data Scientist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Data Scientist Interview Questions

Interviews at Yelp

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online. Got a response for a relatively easy online coding test in python followed by a technical interview with a Data Scientist speaking about my CV and then going over a case.

Interview Questions

• 1. Tell me one machine learning model that you had to implement and the main difficulties you faced
    2. Imagine you have a feature from yelp, like the waitlist functionality. How can you measure the waiting time?
            a. What variables do you get?
            b. What model do you try?
            c. How do you see if the model is working?
            d. What are the pros and cons of using indicator variables
            e. How do you assign a monetary benefit?
    f. What happens when a subsegment of the data is not performing as well as the rest of the data?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

I submitted an application online. Got a 30 min online assessment after three weeks. After finishing the online assessment, I got a technique phone interview invitation the next day. The phone interview is about machine learning system design.

Interview Questions

• It's a coding problem. find the unpopular merchants based on the requirements described in the problem. No fancy algorithm is required. Using a dictionary can solve the problem.   1 Answer

Data Scientist Interview

Interview

one phone interview + onsite with the following four sessions
    two behaviors sessions on communication, collaboration etc.
    one coding question
    one machine learning domain open ended question

Overall pretty good interview process.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with a time when some colleague disagree with you?   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in April 2019.

Interview

Applied through online; Did not make it past the first round, so unfortunately did not get to experience much; however, they did send an email notifying me that I did not make it past the first checklist which is much nicer than many other companies.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in June 2018.

Interview

The first round is HR interview which is pretty much just chatting and locate you in a role. The second round is tech interview, which has 2 machine learning evaluation questions and 1 algorithm question.

Interview Questions

• How to evaluate the features classifying spams and emails.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

After a resume introduction, a recruiter contacted me to schedule a technical phone screen. The screen was a Skype video call with a data scientist on the analytics team. We chatted briefly about my background, then he asked me an open-ended machine learning modeling task. We discussed what features I would use, what model, etc. We then jumped on coder pad and he gave me a probability problem to solve via Monte Carlo simulation in Python. I partially solved the problem before running out of time. Overall the interaction seemed very positive. The recruiter contacted me a couple of days later to say they were going to move forward with other stronger candidates.

Interview Questions

• What features would you use to predict the number of likes on a review?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

I practiced a lot for this interview - it was frustrating that I didn't move forward to on-site despite passing 3 interviews: 1 with a hiring manager and 2 technical screens. I don't want to insult Yelp (its an awesome product/company/team if you can get a job there you should) but this really felt like a waste of time.

0) Sent in resume.

1) Phone interview with hiring manager - general questions about the data science projects on my resume and background.

2A) I was given info on what to prepare for: stats, product questions, talk about my projects, SQL, and python.

2B) Technical screen #1: Questions about my data science projects including detailed mathematics of machine learning algorithms, 1 simple SQL question, 1 simple python question. Completed/got right answers.

3A) I was given info to prepare for product-related questions. Despite this, the technical screen #2 was 10 minutes product questions, 40 minutes of SQL/Python.

3B) Technical screen #2: 1 medium difficulty SQL question, 1 relatively easy python question, 1 brief A/B testing Yelp-related question. Completed/got right answers.

Difficulty levels are similar to Hacker rank.

4) I hear back from the hiring manager who said Yelp is overall looking for folks with more data science industry experience - despite having seen my resume in the first place.

I don't believe I am unqualified - I have STEM PhD from a top 15 university heavy in coding/stats/large data and multiple machine learning projects on my webpage/github/Kaggle.

No biggie though, but they could have at least mentioned they were looking for folks with 1-2 years of experience with a "data scientist" job title in the job requirements - and not interviewed me in the first place, which would have been 100% understandable if that's what they want all along!

Interview Questions

• Whats the difference between decision trees and extreme boosted trees mathematically?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2017.

Interview

Typical interview process for a data scientist role. First was a general phone screen with the recruiter. Then a technical phone screen (SQL, python, AB testing). Finally, an on-site consisting of 4 45-min interviews.

I would say I thought most of the interviewers were great, but I didn't get a great vibe from one of them. Just didn't get a positive vibe from this person and could tell this person was uninterested in being there from the get-go. That one interview left a bad taste in my mouth... definitely someone I wouldn't want to work with.

Interview Questions

• questions around product/metrics, A/B Testing, stats, ML   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Interviews themselves were great. Good people on the team, and reasonable question difficulty. Recruiter behavior was upsetting, as they made me think I would get an offer, then strung me along several times before telling me they weren't going to hire me.

Interview Questions

• How to swap two elements of a list   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cleveland, OH

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp (Cleveland, OH) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through the University Career fair. Then I received an online coding test link within two days after applying. After that, I was selected for an on-campus interview with the manager.

Interview Questions

• List the strings that are anagrams from a set of strings   1 Answer