Yelp Community Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Community Manager Interview Questions

2.5

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online and was contacted by a regional manager to have a phone interview. The conversation went well and I was advanced to the writing sample round of the interview process, but I withdrew to pursue an opportunity elsewhere. I got the impression that the workload would be very heavy and that there would be very long work hours. This isn't something I'm looking for at this point in my career.

Interview Questions

• What would you plan for the ultimate Yelp Elite event?   Answer Question
    • How do you feel about working 60 hour work weeks? You don't just work at Yelp - you live it.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in December 2015.

Interview

I applied online and later contacted to conduct a phone interview. A few days after that, I was asked to have a Skype interview (with same person), complete a writing test, and then I spoke with another senior level regional manager over the phone.

The CM position is a remote roll, so all interviews were held over the phone or Skype. The hiring manager was very communicative via email and kept me in the loop through the entire process. I did go about 2 weeks without hearing anything back, but that was over Christmas.

Interview Questions

• Give background experiences that relate to this position.   Answer Question
    • Describe your perfect Elite event.   Answer Question
    • What is the number one thing you may need to teach business owners about Yelp's free services?   Answer Question
    • What metrics do you think you will be evaluated against?   Answer Question
    • Writing test questions:
      1) Get us excited about a fantastic birthday party you are throwing for yourself using only 140 characters.
      2) Get us really excited about the very last meal you had (even if it was cereal over your kitchen sink). 100 words.
      3) Get us really, really, excited about your plans this weekend (even if your “plans” include waking up in the PM and wearing Crocs all day). 250 words.
      Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2015.

Interview

After applying online received an email request for a phone interview with the Regional Manager. The first phone interview was casual and seemed to be she was gathering information on my background, interests and fit for position. Was then contacted by a Community Manager of another state for a Skype interview. More in-depth questions but kind of quick and casual. Both were very friendly and didn't ask anything that was difficult to answer.

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Sent my resumé and cover letter, received an email several days later requesting a phone conference. Talked with Regional Marketing Director on the phone and then in person several days later. Completed a writing test (sample newsletter) and had a video conference with the VP of North American Marketing. Received an email several days later stating that another candidate was selected.

Interview Questions

• I was asked what events I've thought about holding for Elites. I hadn't been asked to brainstorm on this beforehand, so I was caught a bit off-guard.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I applied online through LinkedIn. Within a day or two, I had a request for a phone interview the following week. The phone interview was easy going, and I felt it was about verifying I was who I said I was in my cover letter and resume. My cover letter was a hit, and probably got me the first interview. I was asked to interview in person within two weeks with a regional director who traveled to our city. This interview was in a local restaurant, and was also fairly easy going, and included the current CM. I came very prepared and even provided questions and answers they had not considered. I was asked to attend an elite event for that happened to be the next day, late that evening by email. After the elite event, I was scheduled for a skype interview with another higher up (VP of Marketing, I believe) the following week. That interview was not as easy going, and included questions about my city, my experience in my current position, and what I would do for my first elite event as CM. The process slowed a bit here - one week of decision making, then another week with decision makers on vacation. Three days into the following week (approx 2.5 weeks later), I received an email stating they had offered the position to someone else. Over all this was a in depth, pleasant experience which I felt was very relevant for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about Marketing yourself? How would you go about connecting the community? What would be your first elite event? What books have you read lately? If you could do anything, and money was no object, what would you do?   1 Answer

Community Manager Interview

Interview

The process will take a few rounds of interviews with a regional director and perhaps another. My experience involved a conversational interview with questions about how I see myself working in the position and what I might want to contribute. General questions like how my past positions will help me reach my goals, etc. The hiring process depends on how quickly they are looking to fill the position. My position was an immediate hire.

Interview Questions

• Honestly, I felt like all the questions were typical expected questions. If you're not a good writer, you might want to brush up on your Yelpy writing skills, because you'll need to pass a writing test.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (Amsterdam (Netherlands)) in January 2016.

Interview

I applied for the position of Community Manager Amsterdam in January. I received a very positive reply to my application and I had high hopes for nailing it. But then they suddenly changed the position and informed me that I was put 'on hold'. After finally receiving an invitation for a job interview I was told that the position was changed to a 'freelance position'... and at the second interview they informed me that the position had changed once again and I received a very poor offer. Overall a very disappointing experience, which I did not expect from Yelp.

Interview Questions

• "What would be your strategy for boosting the Yelp community in Amsterdam?"   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Melbourne (Australia)) in August 2015.

Interview

Terrible interview with a woman who has little understanding of marketing or community management. Claimed Yelp "invented digital community and community management." Entire interview focused on questions about where I liked to eat and go. The PD was for a Community Manager but the way the role was described was for an Events Manager.

Interview Questions

• Where do you like to eat, who has the best coffee, where do you go on the weekends, what are your favourite cafes.   Answer Question

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I interviewed with a lot of overly enthusiastic ladies for this role. After a painful 6 week process of background checks, samples, 5 phone interviews, 2 face to face interviews I was flown into another country for a final interview with one of the 'higher ups'. The whole process was painfully unprofessional. It was more like a 'ladies who fly 8 hours to meet with two other ladies for shopping, drinking, gossiping, and brunch' vibe. It felt very high school and people seem to try to impress each other within the company.

After a day of fake-socializing with these people, I FINALLY got an offer (without an official contract or offer letter) on the phone the next day. Then they sent me an 'offer' which was just 4 bullet points in a casual email. I said I would get back to them as there were barely any benefits. I emailed them back asking for a slightly higher salary since the the benefits were less than what I was currently getting. Then, I didn't hear back from them in a WEEK! I called this lady who gave me the offer and she said that they retracted their offer because "they were upset" that I "wasn't being straightforward".

So... dancing around town drinking, brunching, gossiping, and shopping with a potential colleague is straightforward and professional and simple and reasonable negotiations about salary/benefit is not?

Community Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Submitted my resume online. 1-2 weeks later, I received a call requesting an interview. Met with the interviewer and had a great conversation covering all of the topics relevant to the position. Probably one of the best and most fun interviews I've ever participated in.

Interview Questions

• How would I go about engaging businesses in the community?   1 Answer