Yelp Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 17, 2017

2.9

459 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Was contacted by e-mail after applying online. They sent an online assessment--the question was easy to medium difficulty, but has a strict time limit. The next day after finishing the coding question I was declined.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Hackerrank interview.

Yelp by far is one of the most garage interviews I experienced. It's mind boggling to me that a timed quiz is your entry point to a conversation with an actual person.

Any company that uses hacker rank to evaluate you is broken. No one in any environment works in a timed box. I'm still flummoxed that this is how they actually do screening.

IOS Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Overall was a really nice experience, the recruiters and interviewers were very nice. The questions were really interesting, collaborative and thoughtful. I liked that they put a lot of emphasis on things you've done. They reimbursed all expenses involved.

Interview Questions

• Lot of questions based on experience. What was the most difficult thing you've worked on etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First was an online coding test on Hacker rank. The question was an "easy" level on Leetcode. After a week was the Skype interview. The interviewer was friendly. First 20 mins or so was talking about experience, why applying for the position, etc. He asked me a question on numerical analysis. Then a coding question, which surprisingly was pretty easy. Then a puzzle question which I couldn't solve. A few days later received an email rejection.

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The first question is why yelp. Then I was asked to talk about my project. Then being asked what would happen after you type the url in browser and hit enter until you see the web page?

Interview Questions

• Given n, print the numbers in the order of spiral from a matrix full of numbers 1~n^2.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in May 2017.

Interview

Applied to new grad position online. Got invitation to complete online assessment which was surprisingly just 15 mins long. Completed brute force implementation, 2/4 test cases successful. Couldn't find error(s) as to shortage of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The proccess took 2 weeks. First was a 15 min online coding challenge that was easy. Then I had a skype interview a week later. It was straight forward. Behavioral questions, then a 1 coding question that wasnt hard. It seems they like using questions about: duplicates, overlaps, things of that nature

Interview Questions

• Remove duplicates from a string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Yelp reached out to me after being referred. First talked to a recruiter for about 30 minutes, then got a short coding exercise of about 30 minutes. The recruiter was not super fast in responding, but also not super slow.

Interview Questions

• Reduce a 2D array where you need to sum the same elements and return them sorted by amount   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in May 2017.

Interview

First round online Coding followed by Skype interview ,Online Coding was easy 15 min problem in HackerRank,Skype interview was for 45 mins ,General questions related to resume followed by coding challenges

BI Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in April 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume and HR scheduled for a basic phone screen. Friendly and smart HR team. Very smooth and efficient co-ordination. Was moved to the next round. It was a 30 mins technical interview. Was given a crappy coderpad with some SQL problems. Interviewer had a rude tone. She had no patience to explain questions. At one point coder pad control was snatched away. Wish I knew the time limit for questions or at least be notified 30 secs before time. Terrible experience.

Interview Questions

• SQL & Advanced Tableau questions   1 Answer