Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 20, 2017

2.9

954 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp in August 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview to screen candidate followed by second in person interview.

Interviewer was very unprofessional by standing outside the conference room door for 10 min socializing with a coworker while I waited for my interview. Company does not validate parking so it basically cost me to interview here. Would not recommend working here as it seems this company has pretentious standards for a role that requires cold-calling.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a phone screening. After the phone screening, I was invited to come onsite for an interview with one of the sales manager. The first 30 min of the interview was a tour of yelp and a video about a day in the life of an account executive. After that then I had an 1:1 interview with the sales manager. Honestly the whole experience was a little off putting. After watching the video and seeing the environment, I knew I really didn't want this job. I think the sales manager picked up on that, so about 3 days later I got an email saying that they are going to move on with other candidates. If supervised telemarketing is your thing, then this is the job for you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Was contacted for a 15 minute phone interview and asked to come in for an in-person interview. I went to the New York office and was given a tour and a small presentation with a group of other applicants. Then, we split into individual interviews where they asked to role play scenario where I had to sell Yelp advertising to a neighbor with a small business at a barbecue.

Interview Questions

• What is something that you're proud of that is not on your resume?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

The recruiter gave me a call, she called me by the wrong name. She called me Crysta instead of Cali. It was short not even 10 minutes. It seemed like they were interested from the initial pickup. The job wasn't very good inside sales completely cold its basically telemarketing and harassing small businesses.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Finished phone interview. Standard sales questions and background on resume. The initial phone conversation was about 15-30 minutes of smooth sailing. Haven't gone in for an on sight interview yet.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Horrible. Interviewer was unprofessional did not listen to my answers and constantly felt rushed. Also they make you
    Start out in a group interview and then it breaks away into individual interviews with people that would potentially be your boss.

Interview Questions

• Tell me how would you convince a business owner to claim their business.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

The interview wasn't bad, the only thing that caught me off guard was "What can you tell me about yourself that isn't on your resume?" but other than that, the interviewer was very kind and explained the position very well then asked me quesitons about what she just said

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

The interview process was quick and easy! It started with an initial phone call (getting to know you) with a recruiter who makes sure you're a good potential fit for the role.
    Tips for this: 1. be yourself 2.watch the info videos because there will be questions asked about what you learned. 3. Tell them you're cool with high volume cold calling because that's what'll you be doing.
    After the phone call, you're invited to an in-person or Skype interview. During the interview, you will be asked to role play. This is a SALES role so be prepared but know that they will be willing to re-do it and give you feed back (if you don't do it well the first time). Be confident and show off your personality!
    After these are over, you'll get an email in a couple of days. This email will let you know if you go the job or not. I got an email stating that a recruiter would call me in a couple of days to discuss how my interview went and if I had any questions about the info-videos she sent me. Shen then offered me the job and I accepted! I have seen a lot of negative interview reviews on here about the recruiter scaring them off because they said that sales is hard and isn't for everyone but they're simply telling the truth. They don't want to have you if you're not aware of how business world or sales works. Overall, it was a great experience!

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp?
      Why Sales?
      How do you feel about cold calling and what skills can you offer Yelp?
      If you saw someone on the train, how would you mention or sell Yelp?
      Are you afraid of rejection?
      How do you handle criticism?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in July 2017.

Interview

Submitted resume (end of June 2017)
    Emailed back and forth with recruiting team (July 2nd 2017)
    Brief phone interview (July 11th 2017)
    In-office interview (July 25th 2017)
    Decision (July 27th 2017)

The reason I rated my interview with Yelp as a negative experience is detailed above. I spent an entire month going back and fourth with recruitment. The process took a very long time, and granted it was for the NYC office which I'm sure is in high demand for talent. It was a disappointing ending when after all the effort I had put into my interview process, I didn't get an offer. I left the in-office interview feeling very confident, the manager had even said "You'll definitely be hearing back from us!"
    I felt like things had gone over so well! But I digress. I don't believe this is any type of entry level position, even though they offer training. Have experience in cold-calling sales and you'll probably get the job. Although I don't have cold-calling experience, I have a lot of leadership experience and years of sales exposure. I guess I wasn't the right fit. In conclusion, be prepared to invest a lot of time in the interview experience and don't assume an outcome.

Interview Questions

• Your neighbor at the barbecue keeps getting Yelp sales call and he's stumped on how to deal with it, how do you convince him it's a good idea to invest in yelp?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (Los Angeles, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Initial call with sales recruiter to go over experience and make sure I aligned with the role. Call was 15 minutes. Then second call about an hour with the hiring manager to answer more questions and ask questions.

Interview Questions

• Am I open to a high volume cold-calling role (65 calls per day)?   1 Answer