Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated Feb 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

They call you to set up a phone screen day after you submit a resume. Received phone screen following week from a manager: Asks questions about resume. Then 30-minute Skype interview with two different managers, ask for details about what is not on resume with each one has you do a role playing scenario, ask if you have any questions. Was emailed two days later with an automated email explaining they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Role-playing scenario: I am a pizza shop owner who you are following up with. I pick up the phone and immediately say I am sticking with advertising in the newspaper. Convince me why I should advertise with Yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First part was phone interview, was immediately asked to come in person the next week. Came in, started with a tour, then watched a few videos showing examples of calls. You then meet individually with your interviewer and they will want you to do a roleplay. My interviewer played the role of a business owner recognizing I'm a Yelp employee on BART and wanted me to explain what Yelp does. The interviewer will give you feedback and make you do it again.

Interview Questions

• Q: Pretend we're on BART and I'm a business owner who recognizes you work for Yelp and I ask you to explain what you did.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2017.

Interview

Two managers seperately interview you and gauge your personality. You role play with both, then you are asked a series of questions about how you cope with stress and why you want to work for yelp. Also why you believe you can be a great candidate. The interview is a positive experience. Make sure you accept any feedback given. If you can't handle pressure don't apply. They get back to you usually within a week to tell you if you meet the qualifications or not.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I received an email stating that I have been selected to become part of the interview process and to email back and confirm a time to set up a phone screening with a recruiter from Yelp. The phone interview is very brief, only about ten minutes long or so and they just ask you very basic questions and tell you more about the position. I was moved on to the next round and invited for an in person interview, where I met with two different managers seperately and they asked a series of questions, asked me to do a role play exercise involving cold calling, explained the position further and then gave me a tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about Yelp?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Started off with a call from a recruiter (why Yelp, why sales, etc.) and then went on to 2 1:1 Skype interviews with Sales Managers. The questions were all behavioral and very easy as long as you prepared. At the end of one interview was a quick sales call, and they will give you feedback that you should implement. Overall, managers were nice and professional and the interviews were easy and straightforward.

The recruiter, however, was one of the rudest and least professional people I've ever dealt with. In a call after I had already RECEIVED the offer, I asked what opportunities there might be to collaborate with other teams and possibly transition after the 2-year sales program--a perfectly reasonable question that I've asked literally every other company I've interviewed with with no problems. The recruiter was so offended I even asked this question that she began to lecture me: "No. There are no opportunities to work with other teams. We only hire for sales. If you weren't sure you wanted to do sales long-term, why did you even apply for this job?" Her remarks were completely uncalled for and I knew then and there that I would never work for a company that 1) didn't seem to value collaboration and feedback from their employees, 2) didn't have opportunities for growth outside of the track you start in, and 3) didn't train their HR team to handle questions from new hires with grace and professionalism. Her response made me very happy that I do not work for Yelp and will never work for Yelp Sales. It spoke volumes about the kind of toxic environment they foster at the New York Office. So don't make the same mistake I did: stay away from this role/office if you're looking for a position where you can work and learn with others, come if you're looking to be berated by an recruiter who was supposed to be helpful in answering your questions and concerns.

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp? Why Sales? Sales is challenging, do you think you can handle the task of making 80-100 calls a day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING experience. Nick the recruiter is so helpful in preparing you and everyone I spoke with was friendly, engaging and very passionate about the company. I didn't take the job for reasons that have nothing to do with the company, but I will definitely keep Yelp in mind for future employment. No exaggeration, I have never had an interview process that was that positive of an experience. It was also a very fast process. I had an answer within a week!

Interview Questions

• What is a recent challenge that you experienced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lewiston, ME

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Lewiston, ME) in January 2017.

Interview

20 min phone interview than hour long skype interview consisting of basic questions and then role play. People were nice and it was simple enough. They say they don't expect you to have experience with cold calling, just want to see if you can learn quickly

Interview Questions

Did not want to live in Phoenix since I wanted to stay in the north east where I grew up

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview. Then a second review face to face. The guy interviewing me was extremely awkward and rude. I answered every question, he said he would let the hiring managers know and get back to me. Never heard anything again. The job is cold calling all day. 80+ calls a day to random companies in whatever territory they give you.

Interview Questions

• What are your three best qualities?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral with the process taking 2 weeks. HR called to set-up a 20 minute phone screen with a Sales Manager.

Phone screen ADVICE:
    - Have a set answer as with WHY you want to work for Yelp (culture, growth opps, personality is Yelp, make sure you say that you are an avid Yelp user!)
    - Have a set answer as to WHY you want to work in sales (challenging, rewarding, commission, etc.)
    - What skills do you have that will make you successful in sales? (coachable, competitive, etc.)
    - What motivates you, especially in sales/when you are struggling? (commission, fully stocked kitchen, happy hours, the culture, the co-workers.)
    - Research Yelp. What awards has Yelp received, etc.
    - Ask questions.

In-person ADVICE:
    You will have 2-3 in-person interviews at the Yelp office. Basically, all the same questions will be asked above during these interviews. You will then have role play.
    - During role play, don't stress, make it a conversation.
    - Implement their feedback, and you will do role play again. They are looking to see if you are coachable.
    - Dress to impress.
    - Write down their email, send a thank-you note.

Webinar
    If you make it pass the in-person interviews, you will be asked to attend a webinar. An HR recruiter will go thru the training program, and your career path with Yelp. Good news!

Interview Questions

• I am a pizza parlor in Brooklyn. I have never heard of Yelp. Schedule an appointment.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Very fast, one phone and one Skype. Phone screen was short, Skype was role playing and asking general questions. Experience was overall positive. Skype was due to me not being in the city.