Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Account Executive Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Yelp (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone screen, then interview my two team managers in separate rooms. Purpose is to gage personality and confidence. Have fun and show strengths in sales ability. Talk about something a past manager who gave rave reviews of your work ethic. If you can't handle being under fire with questions need not apply.

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied at college fair and heard back from recruiter asking to set up interview times. Had phone interview then was offered in person interview. Since I couldn't go in person I had a Skype interview. Interviewers were friendly. The entire process took a few months. Was told if I got the job within a week.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone screen/1st Interview was very conversational. Without giving his name, he was very enjoyable to talk to and it definitely shows how pleasant some employees can be. They are going to ask you very simple questions, to make sure that you're not a debbie downer. Yelp is a young culture, they are growing constantly and don't like to be around negativity.

The One-on-One was with two people, Sales Manager and Sales Trainer. They role-play with those they are iffy with, sales isn't a walk in the park, but it's also not rocket science. A big thing they look for is confidence, honesty, and drive to get better.

Interview Questions

• Many people that we hire have no or minimum sales experience, why do you think you would do well in Advertising Sales?   1 Answer
    • Here at Yelp, we offer continuous feedback. How well do you take to feedback?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online. Got an email to set up an interview a week or so later. The first interview is just a general phone screening, reading the reviews on Glassdoor really helped me. Just talk about why you want to be in sales, and be real with you answers. I talked about how I love meeting new people and establishing meaningful relationships. The phone screening is about 15 minutes, and then they set up your next interview while still on the phone with you.

I did a skype interview because I was from out of town. The Skype interview was about an hour, and you speak to 2 managers that put you in role playing situations. The first wanted me to "call" an auto mechanic and try to get to speak to the owner. The second was an owner that wanted to switch to newspaper advertising, and I had to convince him not to. I honestly had no idea how to do a sales pitch, but that doesn't matter to them. They just want you to show that you are willing to try, learn, and implement any feedback they give you. A good tip is to keep them talking, and keep asking questions to get to the root of the problem.

The last phone call is with the recruiter. They just want to get to know you better and basically make sure you're still interested. Then there's a background check, and once that's gone through, you'll get called for an offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

Interview

Started off with a call from a recruiter (why Yelp, why sales, etc.) and then went on to 2 1:1 Skype interviews with Sales Managers. The questions were all behavioral and very easy as long as you prepared. At the end of one interview was a quick sales call, and they will give you feedback that you should implement. Overall, managers were nice and professional and the interviews were easy and straightforward.

The recruiter, however, was one of the rudest and least professional people I've ever dealt with. In a call after I had already RECEIVED the offer, I asked what opportunities there might be to collaborate with other teams and possibly transition after the 2-year sales program--a perfectly reasonable question that I've asked literally every other company I've interviewed with with no problems. The recruiter was so offended I even asked this question that she began to lecture me: "No. There are no opportunities to work with other teams. We only hire for sales. If you weren't sure you wanted to do sales long-term, why did you even apply for this job?" Her remarks were completely uncalled for and I knew then and there that I would never work for a company that 1) didn't seem to value collaboration and feedback from their employees, 2) didn't have opportunities for growth outside of the track you start in, and 3) didn't train their HR team to handle questions from new hires with grace and professionalism. Her response made me very happy that I do not work for Yelp and will never work for Yelp Sales. It spoke volumes about the kind of toxic environment they foster at the New York Office. So don't make the same mistake I did: stay away from this role/office if you're looking for a position where you can work and learn with others, come if you're looking to be berated by an recruiter who was supposed to be helpful in answering your questions and concerns.

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp? Why Sales? Sales is challenging, do you think you can handle the task of making 80-100 calls a day?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Scottsdale, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

They call you to set up a phone screen day after you submit a resume. Received phone screen following week from a manager: Asks questions about resume. Then 30-minute Skype interview with two different managers, ask for details about what is not on resume with each one has you do a role playing scenario, ask if you have any questions. Was emailed two days later with an automated email explaining they were moving forward with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• Role-playing scenario: I am a pizza shop owner who you are following up with. I pick up the phone and immediately say I am sticking with advertising in the newspaper. Convince me why I should advertise with Yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First part was phone interview, was immediately asked to come in person the next week. Came in, started with a tour, then watched a few videos showing examples of calls. You then meet individually with your interviewer and they will want you to do a roleplay. My interviewer played the role of a business owner recognizing I'm a Yelp employee on BART and wanted me to explain what Yelp does. The interviewer will give you feedback and make you do it again.

Interview Questions

• Q: Pretend we're on BART and I'm a business owner who recognizes you work for Yelp and I ask you to explain what you did.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2017.

Interview

Two managers seperately interview you and gauge your personality. You role play with both, then you are asked a series of questions about how you cope with stress and why you want to work for yelp. Also why you believe you can be a great candidate. The interview is a positive experience. Make sure you accept any feedback given. If you can't handle pressure don't apply. They get back to you usually within a week to tell you if you meet the qualifications or not.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I received an email stating that I have been selected to become part of the interview process and to email back and confirm a time to set up a phone screening with a recruiter from Yelp. The phone interview is very brief, only about ten minutes long or so and they just ask you very basic questions and tell you more about the position. I was moved on to the next round and invited for an in person interview, where I met with two different managers seperately and they asked a series of questions, asked me to do a role play exercise involving cold calling, explained the position further and then gave me a tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about Yelp?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING experience. Nick the recruiter is so helpful in preparing you and everyone I spoke with was friendly, engaging and very passionate about the company. I didn't take the job for reasons that have nothing to do with the company, but I will definitely keep Yelp in mind for future employment. No exaggeration, I have never had an interview process that was that positive of an experience. It was also a very fast process. I had an answer within a week!

Interview Questions

• What is a recent challenge that you experienced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question