Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Apr 23, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

I applied and received and email the next day to schedule a phone interview two weeks later. After the call (where I was asked about my interest in yelp and knowledge about the position), I was told that I would be contacted by a recruiter to set up an on site interview that would happen about a week later. At the office, I interviewed with two nice managers who made the process very comfortable. They were mainly making sure I understood the difficulties of the position my sling questions relating to how I would handle the high volume of calls and rejection. Two days after the interview O received an email informing me that I was being moved forward and scheduled another phone call with a recruiter two days later. During this call the recruiter basically did the same things in a shortened version (making sure I understood the position and was up for the challenge. At the end of the call she extended an offer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when it felt like you were failing and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

They sent me an email that they are interested in me. Then a week later phone appointment. It was pretty general straightforward questions. Then onsite interview a week later. That's where the deal is. An hour long interview. It was great. Everything was professional. Then I got the offer. Awesome. Love the whole process. Not a single problem.

Full Stack Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2017.

Interview

One coding challenge followed by an HR call (Nothing technical, just brief overview of the entire process). Next was the telephonic interview, wherein I was asked about my past experience, a simple non-technical question (Eg. What would you do if your page loads slow), and a coding challenge on CoderPad

Interview Questions

• What would you do if your page loads slow
      Merge Interval
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

First a phone call with basic info about the role, asking why I wanted to work at Yelp and what my background experience is. Then, second phone call with another member of the recruiting team that went into a bit more detail about the role, questions included why I wanted to get into sales, what I was looking for in my career. Next was a Skype interview (because I do not live in NYC) with two sales managers - one after the other. This got even more detailed, asking me what I know about their advertising package. We did some role play and they asked more difficult questions regarding my experience ("what was a time where you...". Finally, I received a call a week or so later with my initial contact asking what I thought about the whole process. Received my offer a week later and was given 2 weeks to think it over. Overall, very easy and positive experience. Thanks for everything!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you worked proactively in order to not let work pile up (a time you finished ahead of schedule) -- this is paraphrased, can't remember exactly   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Had a fifteen minute OT, which went well after which I qualified for a phone interview. It took time for the recruiters to do the scheduling. The interviewer introduced himself, asked about my projects and internships after which we had a coding question

Interview Questions

• Implement Dequeue, Enqueue and FindMin()   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview easy just explaination of the job and simple questions about cold calling and sales. Second interview was about a week later met with two people, one right after the other. Role play scenarios, basic sales, cold calling questions. Thought the process went well and enjoyed speaking to the two interviewers. I was shown the office and told I would get a call in a few days. Instead I got a no-reply email two days later.

Interview Questions

• A time you were put out of your comfort zone and was still sucessful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with one girl first. She was somewhat rude and not quite friendly. She asked me to sell her on something, anything, in the most vague possible way. She then asked more about my background, customer experience. She was somewhat transparent about what the job was and the fact I would be cold-calling for the job. She was quite rude in the beginning but towards the end was friendlier. She left and a few minutes later a guy came in. He asked a lot of the same things, gave more transparent details about the job. The two of them combined didn't really "sell" me on the job and made it seem like it wasn't that great of a job in the first place, which I found kind of odd. The office seemed like a frat house when we went on a tour of the floor. Overall I would have taken the job because at the time I needed the money but I definitely would have been actively looking elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Sell me on something, anything   Answer Question
    • How do you think your past skills would translate to something like cold calling?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

First there was a phone interview which was easy, they just want to get a feel for your personality and phone demeanor. Then a week and a half later came the in-person interviews; in the same day I met with two employees. This included general interview questions, explaining to them why I want to work at Yelp, how my past work experiences will prepare me for this role, etc. Then there was a brief role play exercise, and I got some positive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Let's role play: I'm a pizza shop owner, I've never done any advertising. Try to sell me on Yelp Ads.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was 10 minutes late and asked about the basic questions such as "why yelp" and web technologies questions. He also asked lots of details in the projects, which led to not enough time for technical questions since he was late for schedule. He only asked one technical question which was easy but it took him time to explain to me because we did not have time building test cases and the programming languages(Python) were not what I was familiar and agreed with(Java or javascript).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I have applied through yelp official website. A couple of days they emailed me first asking me what date would be fine for my phone interview then 2 weeks later they called me. she was nice to me interview took 10 minutes questions were well easy to answer. I have applied coz yelp is a big company but after I have read mostly negative comments felt made a mistake

Interview Questions

• why sales? why yelp? can you make 80 to 100 cold call?   1 Answer