Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.9

226 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in June 2013.

Interview

Weird role play questions, snotty interviewers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with one girl first. She was somewhat rude and not quite friendly. She asked me to sell her on something, anything, in the most vague possible way. She then asked more about my background, customer experience. She was somewhat transparent about what the job was and the fact I would be cold-calling for the job. She was quite rude in the beginning but towards the end was friendlier. She left and a few minutes later a guy came in. He asked a lot of the same things, gave more transparent details about the job. The two of them combined didn't really "sell" me on the job and made it seem like it wasn't that great of a job in the first place, which I found kind of odd. The office seemed like a frat house when we went on a tour of the floor. Overall I would have taken the job because at the time I needed the money but I definitely would have been actively looking elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Sell me on something, anything   Answer Question
    • How do you think your past skills would translate to something like cold calling?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview. The questions were pretty tricky in the way that they were meant to stump you. The interview was relaxed in nature but it is important to be prepared on your answers.

Interview Questions

• What did you eat for lunch?   1 Answer

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Applied online.
    Initial phone call with Recruiter

Given an online test (Hackerrank). Comprised of multi-choice questions on basic knowledge of CS and networking (eg what does SSL stand for) and a simple coding exercise.

Phone call with Engineer. Questions about cs, networking and websites. Online coding exercise.

Interview Questions

• Given a number and a list of numbers, write a program that gives the total number of times the numbers in the list sum to the given number. Numbers in the list can be repeated.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in April 2016.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. They first reached out to me after a few months went by to schedule a phone interview. After that, they called me and asked me a few questions about my resume and then proceeded to get more into the sales part of the job. Overall not bad until they reached the mock sales pitch part of the phone call.

Interview Questions

• How do you plan on generating business from small companies on a daily basis? They also asked me to walk them through a sales pitch, which was difficult to do on the spot.   Answer Question

Account Executive Trainee Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2016.

Interview

Overall this was an incredible interview process. All participants were transparent and direct with their expectations. They want to make sure you understand the ins and outs of the job, but also want to know more about what "makes you tick". My recruiter followed up with me regularly and made sure I understood the next step of the process completely. Make sure you do your research on the company, prepare questions for every step of the interview process and ask questions to better understand the person interviewing you. Take notes during the role play with your feedback and remember it for the next person who interviews you. Implement what you learn and you'll get the job! Good Luck!

Interview Questions

• It has been 2 or 3 months and you are still not achieving your goals, but your colleagues are. How does this make you feel? What steps do you take?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2016.

Interview

Overall great experience! Everyone was very nice. First you have a phone screen and if they like what they hear you'll get an in person interview.

Phone Screen: basic questions about background and why you'd be good for Yelp.

In person: Two different sales managers ask you similar questions to the ones in the phone screen. Just try to have a conversation, make jokes, let them get to know you. They then ask you what questions you have for them. Definitely have some prepared. They'll probably follow with a role play, I somehow skipped this step but I've spoken to several others that did this so it's important that you know this is coming.

But the questions are challenging if you are not prepared. Just read up on here, most of these questions are spot on. Remember to be HUMAN and just try to have a natural conversation. They really want to get to know you.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Phone interview. Called and asked to describe about yourself and future goals and long term commitment. Then asked about Yelp, make sure to learn about Yelp's history and what the company is!! After the phone interview waited for a week or two then asked to stop by the office. Went to the office interviewed by the marketing assistant. A week later called back again to be interviewed by the Community Manager. After that, a couple days later, got an acceptance email from Yelp!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2014.

Interview

It felt that the interviewers gave vague questions that were open ended and gave into interpretations. The process was none the less smooth but I gave it my best to answer all the questions to the best of my ability. The office was very nice and showed us the new and upcoming modern feel of a startup company. The environment was fun filled but also serious at the same time.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

I ended up talking to 4 people in this process. It seemed excessive for a position with a high turnover that attempts to bring in as large a class as possible, but I think the process itself is a way of testing resilience and commitment to the position.

My interview steps:
    1. Phone call. I was told it was going to be 10-15 minutes. It ended up being about 45, and at the end I was invited to an interview at the NYC office.
    2. 2 consecutive in-office interviews with two different sales managers. (Both had been account execs before.)
    3. Phone call from a recruiter. It was another long, legit, and challenging interview; the recruiter wanted to see how I measured up in one area that the sales managers had doubts about.
    4. Invite to a 30 minute online webinar talking about benefits, salary, etc. I was a little confused by this because I hadn't been offered the job yet.
    5. Another call from the recruiter to ask me if I wanted the job, how much I wanted the job, and when I could start if I accepted the offer.

Some things to note if you're considering whether to even go through with the interview process:
    -The most important factor for this job is resilience. You're going to have to demonstrate it with examples AND seem really charming at the same time.
    -They try super hard to impress upon you that the job is super difficult and will test your emotional strength, since you do get rejected a lot.
    -There's role play in every step of the interview. Take notes about what you should improve on!
    -You can't move across departments within Yelp. If you start in sales, you stay in sales.
    -Everyone seems to love sales at Yelp! My recruiter was mind-blowingly socialable and good at convincing me that Yelp is the best place to work in the world.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you were rejected. Describe a time you quit something. What will keep you going in this job if/when you're not making sales?   Answer Question