Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY

Updated Jun 20, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone interview easy just explaination of the job and simple questions about cold calling and sales. Second interview was about a week later met with two people, one right after the other. Role play scenarios, basic sales, cold calling questions. Thought the process went well and enjoyed speaking to the two interviewers. I was shown the office and told I would get a call in a few days. Instead I got a no-reply email two days later.

Interview Questions

• A time you were put out of your comfort zone and was still sucessful.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

First you do a phone interview then you about a week later you go in to the office. You speak to two different people and the the second interviewer takes you for a tour around the office. You sit down in one of their rooms and the interviewer goes over your resume with you and you talk about your experience.

Interview Questions

• Name a situation with an unsatisfied customer and how did you resolve it:   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

I met with one girl first. She was somewhat rude and not quite friendly. She asked me to sell her on something, anything, in the most vague possible way. She then asked more about my background, customer experience. She was somewhat transparent about what the job was and the fact I would be cold-calling for the job. She was quite rude in the beginning but towards the end was friendlier. She left and a few minutes later a guy came in. He asked a lot of the same things, gave more transparent details about the job. The two of them combined didn't really "sell" me on the job and made it seem like it wasn't that great of a job in the first place, which I found kind of odd. The office seemed like a frat house when we went on a tour of the floor. Overall I would have taken the job because at the time I needed the money but I definitely would have been actively looking elsewhere.

Interview Questions

• Sell me on something, anything   Answer Question
    • How do you think your past skills would translate to something like cold calling?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was 10 minutes late and asked about the basic questions such as "why yelp" and web technologies questions. He also asked lots of details in the projects, which led to not enough time for technical questions since he was late for schedule. He only asked one technical question which was easy but it took him time to explain to me because we did not have time building test cases and the programming languages(Python) were not what I was familiar and agreed with(Java or javascript).

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

First there was a phone interview which was easy, they just want to get a feel for your personality and phone demeanor. Then a week and a half later came the in-person interviews; in the same day I met with two employees. This included general interview questions, explaining to them why I want to work at Yelp, how my past work experiences will prepare me for this role, etc. Then there was a brief role play exercise, and I got some positive feedback.

Interview Questions

• Let's role play: I'm a pizza shop owner, I've never done any advertising. Try to sell me on Yelp Ads.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I have applied through yelp official website. A couple of days they emailed me first asking me what date would be fine for my phone interview then 2 weeks later they called me. she was nice to me interview took 10 minutes questions were well easy to answer. I have applied coz yelp is a big company but after I have read mostly negative comments felt made a mistake

Interview Questions

• why sales? why yelp? can you make 80 to 100 cold call?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was fairly straightforward. Basic explaining of the Account Executive role, your background, why sales. Was not expecting a role-play during the phone call (most reviews say role-play happens during live interview) but the recruiter was friendly and gave constructive feedback.

Interview Questions

• -Please explain the Account Executive role.
      -Greatest challenge and give an example
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone screen/1st Interview was very conversational. Without giving his name, he was very enjoyable to talk to and it definitely shows how pleasant some employees can be. They are going to ask you very simple questions, to make sure that you're not a debbie downer. Yelp is a young culture, they are growing constantly and don't like to be around negativity.

The One-on-One was with two people, Sales Manager and Sales Trainer. They role-play with those they are iffy with, sales isn't a walk in the park, but it's also not rocket science. A big thing they look for is confidence, honesty, and drive to get better.

Interview Questions

• Many people that we hire have no or minimum sales experience, why do you think you would do well in Advertising Sales?   1 Answer
    • Here at Yelp, we offer continuous feedback. How well do you take to feedback?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Started off with a call from a recruiter (why Yelp, why sales, etc.) and then went on to 2 1:1 Skype interviews with Sales Managers. The questions were all behavioral and very easy as long as you prepared. At the end of one interview was a quick sales call, and they will give you feedback that you should implement. Overall, managers were nice and professional and the interviews were easy and straightforward.

The recruiter, however, was one of the rudest and least professional people I've ever dealt with. In a call after I had already RECEIVED the offer, I asked what opportunities there might be to collaborate with other teams and possibly transition after the 2-year sales program--a perfectly reasonable question that I've asked literally every other company I've interviewed with with no problems. The recruiter was so offended I even asked this question that she began to lecture me: "No. There are no opportunities to work with other teams. We only hire for sales. If you weren't sure you wanted to do sales long-term, why did you even apply for this job?" Her remarks were completely uncalled for and I knew then and there that I would never work for a company that 1) didn't seem to value collaboration and feedback from their employees, 2) didn't have opportunities for growth outside of the track you start in, and 3) didn't train their HR team to handle questions from new hires with grace and professionalism. Her response made me very happy that I do not work for Yelp and will never work for Yelp Sales. It spoke volumes about the kind of toxic environment they foster at the New York Office. So don't make the same mistake I did: stay away from this role/office if you're looking for a position where you can work and learn with others, come if you're looking to be berated by an recruiter who was supposed to be helpful in answering your questions and concerns.

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp? Why Sales? Sales is challenging, do you think you can handle the task of making 80-100 calls a day?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Interview
    - The interview process was supposed to be 45 min. Interviewer called 10min late and said he has only 20min.
    - During the interview process I found out that the role is different from the one I initialy applied to. For some reason it was converted to generic Associate PM, even though I have years of experience and applied to specific department.
    - Interviewer asked questions for CS undergrads rather than for experienced PMs

Overall very unpleasant experience.