Yelp Interview Questions in New York City, NY | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 15, 2017

2.9

226 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

I have applied through yelp official website. A couple of days they emailed me first asking me what date would be fine for my phone interview then 2 weeks later they called me. she was nice to me interview took 10 minutes questions were well easy to answer. I have applied coz yelp is a big company but after I have read mostly negative comments felt made a mistake

Interview Questions

• why sales? why yelp? can you make 80 to 100 cold call?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Phone interview was fairly straightforward. Basic explaining of the Account Executive role, your background, why sales. Was not expecting a role-play during the phone call (most reviews say role-play happens during live interview) but the recruiter was friendly and gave constructive feedback.

Interview Questions

• -Please explain the Account Executive role.
      -Greatest challenge and give an example   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

The phone screen/1st Interview was very conversational. Without giving his name, he was very enjoyable to talk to and it definitely shows how pleasant some employees can be. They are going to ask you very simple questions, to make sure that you're not a debbie downer. Yelp is a young culture, they are growing constantly and don't like to be around negativity.

The One-on-One was with two people, Sales Manager and Sales Trainer. They role-play with those they are iffy with, sales isn't a walk in the park, but it's also not rocket science. A big thing they look for is confidence, honesty, and drive to get better.

Interview Questions

• Many people that we hire have no or minimum sales experience, why do you think you would do well in Advertising Sales?   1 Answer
    • Here at Yelp, we offer continuous feedback. How well do you take to feedback?   1 Answer

Application

Interview

Started off with a call from a recruiter (why Yelp, why sales, etc.) and then went on to 2 1:1 Skype interviews with Sales Managers. The questions were all behavioral and very easy as long as you prepared. At the end of one interview was a quick sales call, and they will give you feedback that you should implement. Overall, managers were nice and professional and the interviews were easy and straightforward.

The recruiter, however, was one of the rudest and least professional people I've ever dealt with. In a call after I had already RECEIVED the offer, I asked what opportunities there might be to collaborate with other teams and possibly transition after the 2-year sales program--a perfectly reasonable question that I've asked literally every other company I've interviewed with with no problems. The recruiter was so offended I even asked this question that she began to lecture me: "No. There are no opportunities to work with other teams. We only hire for sales. If you weren't sure you wanted to do sales long-term, why did you even apply for this job?" Her remarks were completely uncalled for and I knew then and there that I would never work for a company that 1) didn't seem to value collaboration and feedback from their employees, 2) didn't have opportunities for growth outside of the track you start in, and 3) didn't train their HR team to handle questions from new hires with grace and professionalism. Her response made me very happy that I do not work for Yelp and will never work for Yelp Sales. It spoke volumes about the kind of toxic environment they foster at the New York Office. So don't make the same mistake I did: stay away from this role/office if you're looking for a position where you can work and learn with others, come if you're looking to be berated by an recruiter who was supposed to be helpful in answering your questions and concerns.

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp? Why Sales? Sales is challenging, do you think you can handle the task of making 80-100 calls a day?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Interview
    - The interview process was supposed to be 45 min. Interviewer called 10min late and said he has only 20min.
    - During the interview process I found out that the role is different from the one I initialy applied to. For some reason it was converted to generic Associate PM, even though I have years of experience and applied to specific department.
    - Interviewer asked questions for CS undergrads rather than for experienced PMs

Overall very unpleasant experience.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Pretty typical process for a Sales role - phone interview, followed by an in-person interview with two current Sales Managers. This is a complete cold-calling sales job, which they do a good job of making clear during the interview process, as well as the difficulty that comes with the job. Did some role playing and overall asked questions about how you would respond to certain situations and life experiences to uncover your personality and if it is fit for a sales environment.

Interview Questions

• What was something that you worked really hard for and failed, and how did you respond?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I received an email stating that I have been selected to become part of the interview process and to email back and confirm a time to set up a phone screening with a recruiter from Yelp. The phone interview is very brief, only about ten minutes long or so and they just ask you very basic questions and tell you more about the position. I was moved on to the next round and invited for an in person interview, where I met with two different managers seperately and they asked a series of questions, asked me to do a role play exercise involving cold calling, explained the position further and then gave me a tour of the office.

Interview Questions

• What interests you about Yelp?   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Wonderful 20 minute phone screening that ended with me getting invited for an in-person interview. Met with two interviewers who were very helpful and friendly. Before I left, they gave me a quick tour around the facility. Very laid back with music playing and even someone in sweatpants. Cool company, just not a good fit for me!

Interview Questions

• Mock sales call that will be done again with second interviewer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Very fast, one phone and one Skype. Phone screen was short, Skype was role playing and asking general questions. Experience was overall positive. Skype was due to me not being in the city.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I applied online through Yelp's website. In the online description for account executive there was not mention of any type of cold calling situation, but it wasn't I got further into the interview process that they mentioned that the was cold calling and gave no exact information on how long it takes to move out of that type of position.

Interview Questions

• What is a time you worked really hard at something but still failed?   Answer Question