Yelp Product Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Product Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jan 2, 2017

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY).

Interview

Phone Interview
- The interview process was supposed to be 45 min. Interviewer called 10min late and said he has only 20min.
- During the interview process I found out that the role is different from the one I initialy applied to. For some reason it was converted to generic Associate PM, even though I have years of experience and applied to specific department.
- Interviewer asked questions for CS undergrads rather than for experienced PMs

Overall very unpleasant experience.

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

I was referred to the recruiting team by a current employee. I was promptly contacted by a recruiter and scheduled a call. The recruiter was 10 min late to our 30 min call leaving 20 min to discuss the position and to do an actual on the phone screening. From my conversation with the recruiter he seems preoccupied by another matter and unfortunately I never got his full attention during the screening. Post our conversation the recruiter never got back to me or responded to my emails.

The interview itself was rather straight forward and could be categorized as a simple phone screening with no really challenging questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you increase the user engagement with the app?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

I had an amazing and humane treatment. The company and Terry were amazing. The entire interview process was ran well. The interview team was awesome, with good questions. Too bad that the team believes more in the so-called "Product Intuition" aka "Touchy Feelly" approach, and not into the data-driven PM approach. Big kudos to my Talent Acquisition expert, Terry. @Joe Stoppelman, you're very lucky to have such excellent sources as Terry. Good job, guys!

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Yelp in November 2014.

Interview

I think the other negative reviews of Product Manager interviews tell most of the story.

Sure enough, the recruiter was 10 mins late to the call. No surprise based on what I'd read here. The recruiter provided some information on Yelp and the organization structure, and then asked me 6 questions. 3 PM related and 3 technical.

PM
    1) What metrics do I think are important to Yelp?
    2) How might I incentivize customer reviews?
    3) Can't remember the third unfortunately. :(

Technical
    1) Difference between GET and POST requests?
    2) What is Big O notation?
    3) How are domain name lookups handled?

I "passed" this so a Skype interview was scheduled. 30 mins consisted of the interviewer berating my startup that ran out of funding, 5 mins asking about a feature I might add to Yelp and how I would gauge its effectiveness (where the interviewer was just staring away disinterested I might add) and then finally time for questions.

I really took issue with this Skype interview. Not every startup has the same resources as Yelp, which I might add has never turned a profit. So to sit there and argue with me and insult me for having very limited resources and budget, and about how I go about things without the 8 figures of investment that Yelp has, is quite frankly stupid and shortsighted.

As a former Yelp Elite member with over 150 reviews, I will be deleting my account. I have no desire to provide value to such a shortsighted organization. Especially given Yelp's other corporate behavior with paid / filtered reviews.

Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Talk to a recruiter first. She asked me some technical multiple choice questions and then had me do a very simple online coding question.

I later had a skype interview with a product manager. He asked me:
        -about previous products I've worked on and tell him how I made design decisions
        -what happens after you entire a url until you receive the page in front of you
        -how I would price a new life-lasting light bulb
        -how I would get in touch with businesses that aren't affiliated with yelp yet
        -coding question

Interview Questions

• How I would get in touch with businesses that aren't affiliated with yelp.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Very quick - Phone screen with recruiter, homework, onsite with 3-4 people including VP's and other Product Managers. Some good questions asked, some not. They'll ask product design questions and a basic coding question to test your chops.

The recruiting team was unorganized, so watch out for that. Also, I felt that the product team was looking for a person to fill a role that I hadn't applied for nor was very interested in. What's been said before is true - they keep positions open on their jobs site without an actual req to fill; I felt that was rather disingenuous.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Had a meeting on campus. Flew out to San Francisco to meet a few more people. They asked questions directly related to Yelp's current site. It was a little awkward because apparently they had rolled out a new Yelp version to 90% of their userbase, but I was still in the 10%. So they were asking questions about a site I hadn't used yet, which added a bit of awkwardness to the process.

Interview Questions

• How would you design an interface so businesses can define the hours they're open?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

After submitting my resume through the company's job portal, I received an invite to interview right away. I went off to do my research on Yelp, and found a lot of negative reviews. It looked like most of them were from sales positions, so I ignored them.

The day of the interview, the recruiter from Yelp was several minutes late in calling me. I understand things happen, but I thought this was unprofessional. When I answered, she asked me who I was again, and said she didn't have my resume up in front of her yet. Very unprofessional.

For the actual phone screen, she started by picking a position in my history at random, and then seemed disinterested in my response. I felt like she was just going through the motions of the phone screen, like all she did for her job was make 25 phone calls a day, and didn't care about the individual interviewee.

I asked questions about the specific role I was applying for, and her response was that they always have those positions open, it wasn't really to fill a specific need. This echos what some of the other reviews said about Yelp just being a body shop with a lot of turnover.

When the clock hit our pre-determined time limit, she said she would pass my resume along to the hiring manager and he'd contact me if he thought I was a good fit. A few days later, I followed up with them, and they let me know they decided to go in another direction. This closure was nice, at least.

In the end, I'm glad it worked out the way it did. Good riddance, Yelp.

Interview Questions

• The recruiter asked me what position was most relevant to the Product Manager position I was interviewing for, and when I said "well, I've been a product manager at a major company for this many years, and I've done these things" she seemed put off.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Interview

The hiring process was long. It consisted of a phone screening, remote aptitude test, follow up phone interview, and a final in-person interview in SF. The in-person interview was pretty miserable considering the fact they pass you around to several different people rather quickly, each person firing off questions completely unrelated to the other person. On a whole, it wasn't one of the more enjoyable interviews i've participated in. I certainly wouldn't run the same way...

Interview Questions

• Hey...use this whiteboard and wireframe this thing on the spot (with no real context to the end user, design limitations, etc.) and tell us how you would build it...   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

I had an initial phone discussion with a recruiter to assess fit. It was interesting to learn that Yelp is seeking PM's that are primarily design-centric. In addition to the strong emphasis on design, they're looking for candidates with CS/software background. It ultimately wasn't a fit for either party but it was interesting to learn more about Yelp and their PM structure. It seems that they have about a dozen PM's with the CEO being involved quite a bit.