Yelp Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

2.9

526 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Marketing Operations Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Interview process was quick and easy. One phone screening with a recruiter and after that the on-site interview at Yelp. The phone screening was quick and easy and the recruiter was really nice. I introduced myself and we ran through my resume. The on-site interview was quick and easy also. Interviewed with two people at the same time, mostly went through my resume and relevant experience. Approx 45 minutes

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

On-campus interview, then on-site with 4 more. All typical dsa-style questions. All the engineers that I met were exceedingly friendly, and out of all the interviews that I've done (from Google etc. to unicorns), Yelp's was the most enjoyable. There are no breaks in the 4 on-site interviews, however, time flew by and all the engineers were very engaging, welcoming, and good to work with. Hearing back took on the longer side (~3 weeks).

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone interview, 2nd phone interview, in person interview with 2 sales managers who ask you questions about motivation and then we did a role play situation, where they give feedback that they would like you to implement.

Interview Questions

• What is an obstacle that you have overcome in your last position?   1 Answer

Software Engineer(Internship) Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through university. Recruiter contacted a few weeks later. There are a few sections in each interview. Behavioral (tell me about yourself, why, background, etc), case study, and coding.

Account Executive Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted for a phone screen.

The recruiter was nice and friendly.

Invited on site and met with the sales manager who was disinterested in even having the interview.

Interviewed took a deep sigh as they entered the room.

I took this as the interviewer being disinterested in meeting me.

You're supposed to receive feedback after the role play, but the interviewer did not take to time to provide me with some, even after I asked for it.

Lastly, when the interview walked me to the elevator, they rudely rolled their eyes as they walked away.

As others have said here, read the Glassdoor reviews ESPECIALLY those from account executives.

Most importantly, if you want to see how people feel about Yelp Sales team, just go on Yelp's twitter page where customers constantly complain about how aggressive and mean the Yelp Salespeople are.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Recruiter was nice, thorough, and responsive! Kudos to her :-)
    The interview process afterwards was terrible.

I was instructed to complete a HackerRank challenge on a 15 min time limit! This is outrageous!
    Why would any sensible hiring manager think it's a good idea to screen an engineer in 15 mins with any challenge/question? Let alone a hackerrank challenge?

Here's the process I took, which "failed" me:
    - Spent ~5 mins reading & understanding the question
    - Worked out a preliminary solution on paper
    - Typed my solution in the box, failed some tests and as soon as I began debugging time was up!

I am not frustrated, I am disappointed that highly educated engineers/managers think this method of technical assessment is a reasonable way to screen candidates. Engineers/problem solvers need time to deliberate over even the easiest problems. I did not memorize the solution and I couldn't have possibly finished it with edge case checking and testing in 10 mins. Absolutely ridiculous.

I would never consider working at Yelp!

By the way, I pitched a product initiative to Yelp's recruiter that I KNOW Yelp needs to employ (in fact I know they've been trying to do it). Well now they've screened me with a 15 mins hackerrank challenge. They're not looking for passionate engineers, they're looking for "coders" that have some problems/solutions memorized and ready to fire.

Interview Questions

• Sort restaurants by their number of reviews   1 Answer

Associate Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

~30 min screen from recruiter to find out more about me
    ~30 min interview by PM (was supposed to be longer)
    If passed the PM interview, then would be invited to onsite interview with 4 PMs.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a manager's request to increase reviews by 50%?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

One brief hackrrank question, question was pretty easy followed by a Phone interview with a technical question at the end.
    The onsite was 4 interviews with a total of 5 technical questions. First four ranging from medium to hard leetcode-type questions. I've also had around 3 design questions, each from a different domain: I've had a question on website design, feature selection (ML), and database optimization. Each question was extremely interesting to think about and the interviewer was an amazing soundboard. Although I felt pretty good after the interviews, I received a rejection a few days after the on-site. I feel that I've answered the coding questions well so I wonder what sort of candidate they were looking for. The Yelp HQ visit was an amazing experience and the engineers were really nice, regardless of the outcome.

Full Stack Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

HR call, online test, 2 rounds of live coding online, rejected... Very slow to schedule, took 2 months. Seemed like there wasn't a position and they were just giving interviewers opportunity to practice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Employee referred, then the HR contacted me , and start the process. Firstly I completed a easy Hackerrank Question and then I had a phone interview. There primarily ask System Design questions