Yelp Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Yelp Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA

Updated Mar 21, 2017

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

1st call = 10-15 minutes just to see if you are not a debbie downer
    2nd (last in-person interview) = 1 quick 10-20 tour of office, and 20-30 minutes interview with role play and feedback. Mainly just seeing if you are coachable and can implement feedback on the fly

Interview Questions

• 1st call = explained their role, how long they been working there, asked me why sales, why I want to work there
      2nd in-person = why sales, why cold calling, talked about career opportunity, and did a role play about me being on bart and someone asking about my badge and etc. Just wanted to see if I could implement the feedback for the retrial of the role play.
      1 Answer

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through career fair in my campus and I got the on-campus interview. I passed the on-campus interview and got the on-site interview. I went to the HQ and spent half day over there. It was a pretty amazing experience for me. The recruiters are very nice and very responsive to my email.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work on yelp?   Answer Question
    • Given a 2D array, where there are 0s and 1s (1 representing island) count how many islands are there, for example, [[0,1,1], [1,0,0], [0,1,0]] there are 3 islands there (because in the first row 2 of 1s are connected so they created a bigger island.   1 Answer
    • Given a 2D array, how do you print "spirally"?   Answer Question
    • Given an array of string with 300 elements, how do you pair each of them so that each individual can be paired with all elements after couple of repetition?   1 Answer
    • When you click on yelp.com what happened?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

They contact you telling that they want to have quick call wth you. Initial interview is for 10-15 minutes. After that they send you email to visit them onsite. Recruiter tells you about position longer then you have time to response. they are mostly looking for fresh graduates and only think they want you do is to dial 80 calls per day. Pay is very low

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your work experience?
      are you comfortable with called calling?
      Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied online and a recruiter reached out to me with in 2 day. I did the phone screen on Thursday and came into the office on Tuesday. Once on site explored the office, watched a recruiting video, and had a 30 min 1:1 interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you did not something deserved and how did you handle in?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Berkeley, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First, I had a coding challenge on Hackerrank. They had example questions and they prepared me for the actual interview question. Then I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a skype interview with one of the engineer. Had a skype interview with an engineer and answered basic questions about myself and 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Hakerrank: You have two arrays. Find a mutual item with the best ranking. (0th item: rank 1, 1st item: rank 2, and so on)
      Skype: 1) If you have 3 server and requests are coming in, how would you effectively distribute the loads. 2) input: list of strings, output: list of list of strings with anagrams together.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First part was phone interview, was immediately asked to come in person the next week. Came in, started with a tour, then watched a few videos showing examples of calls. You then meet individually with your interviewer and they will want you to do a roleplay. My interviewer played the role of a business owner recognizing I'm a Yelp employee on BART and wanted me to explain what Yelp does. The interviewer will give you feedback and make you do it again.

Interview Questions

• Q: Pretend we're on BART and I'm a business owner who recognizes you work for Yelp and I ask you to explain what you did.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

ABSOLUTELY AMAZING experience. Nick the recruiter is so helpful in preparing you and everyone I spoke with was friendly, engaging and very passionate about the company. I didn't take the job for reasons that have nothing to do with the company, but I will definitely keep Yelp in mind for future employment. No exaggeration, I have never had an interview process that was that positive of an experience. It was also a very fast process. I had an answer within a week!

Interview Questions

• What is a recent challenge that you experienced and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

The process was smooth and pleasant. Recruiter was kind and asked usual questions (positions, previous projects). A person who conducted the technical interview was encouraging, guiding me through and trying to be as helpful as possible.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had an initial phone interview. Then a second review face to face. The guy interviewing me was extremely awkward and rude. I answered every question, he said he would let the hiring managers know and get back to me. Never heard anything again. The job is cold calling all day. 80+ calls a day to random companies in whatever territory they give you.

Interview Questions

• What are your three best qualities?   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied via college career fair and received a Hackerrank test a week or two later. The Hackerrank test was very easy, a single question which was probably around the difficulty of a Leetcode easy difficulty problem.

The next phase was a 45 minute Skype interview with an engineer. We discussed a side project on my resume. Be sure to be able to discuss things you would change/improve upon if you were to redo your project. I was also given a coding problem via Coderpad; this was about Leetcode easy difficulty as well.

After the first Skype interview I was informed that I had made it to the final round of interviews, a series of two back-to-back Skype interviews; I also had a phone conversation with my recruiter around this time, but this was informal for the most part. I had some issues with Yelp in regards to scheduling around this point in time. I had several issues with this final round interview set. First, the first of the two interviewers never contacted me; one of my interviews ended up being rescheduled. The second interviewer was also late. The interviews were the same format as the first Skype interview. One of the problems was between Leetcode easy-medium and the other problem was a medium level problem straight from Leetcode.

Overall the experience was fine; besides the scheduling issues my recruiter was prompt in contacting me for the most part and the interviewers were friendly.