Yelp Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Sep 23, 2017

2.9

290 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2017.

Interview

First I got an online assessment. It is a easy coding question. After that, HR contacted me to talk about interview process. The phone interview was a 45 minutes phone interview. It included computer science basic questions, resume questions and coding questions. And onsite interview included 4 interviews, and each of them is similar to phone interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2017.

Interview

After employee referral, I need to complete an online coding challenge which is about algorithm testing. The coding challenge is pretty easy and got a phone screen interview in one week.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

15 minute coding challenge which was really easy followed by a 1 hour long Skype call. The question he asked was actually a fairly easy to average sorting question, I eventually got the answer after getting confused in the beginning. Interviewer was very clear and friendly and gave me hints when I hit road blocks.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied online and after 1 month of application date, got a mail from an employee if I was interested in proceeding with the interview process. After that, there was a HackeRank coding challenge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The interview experience was very positive for me. The recruiters were prompt, and very accommodating of my timeline. There were 4 stages:

1. Tech challenge on hackerrank (1hr), fairly easy
    2. Phone screen (1hr), ask about resume + coding question on coderpad
    3. Onsite (4 x 45 min), a mix of questions about the resume and coding questions

The onsite interviewers were great about making sure your interest as a developer is heard, and Yelp does a team matching in the end. The questions were a good mix of data structure, algorithm, and your understanding of web services, data base optimization, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

4 round non-stop tech interview, each round last for 45 mins, without any break or rest time. Content includes project questions, coding problems and open questions about design features on yelp.

Interview Questions

• See a feature on yelp, tell them how to design this feature. Could be from front end to backend.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

First of all, introduce yourself. Why do you choose yelp and then go through the resume. finally a coding challenge. the coding challenge is about dfs and it is not very hard.

Application

Interview

the hr contact quickly, first hackranker online question, pretty simple, then two phone interviews, then come up with 4 round onsite interviews, 2 coding problem and 1 system design and 1 asking about past experience.

Interview Questions

• design a document system for developers reference, balanced between auto generate and manual input.   Answer Question
    • 2 sum, 3 sum and k sum.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Hackerrank interview.

Yelp by far is one of the most garage interviews I experienced. It's mind boggling to me that a timed quiz is your entry point to a conversation with an actual person.

Any company that uses hacker rank to evaluate you is broken. No one in any environment works in a timed box. I'm still flummoxed that this is how they actually do screening.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First was an online coding test on Hacker rank. The question was an "easy" level on Leetcode. After a week was the Skype interview. The interviewer was friendly. First 20 mins or so was talking about experience, why applying for the position, etc. He asked me a question on numerical analysis. Then a coding question, which surprisingly was pretty easy. Then a puzzle question which I couldn't solve. A few days later received an email rejection.