Yelp Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Dec 14, 2017

2.9

39 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First, it's online programming assessment, which asked you to write a simple program in 15 minutes. Then they asked for your available times to arrange a phone interview. I didn't hear back from them yet.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

1. Hackerrank
    2. Phone Screen with recruiter
    3. Technical phone screen with engineer

On the technical phone screen, the engineer had a heavy accent and it was very hard to understand him, was on his phone the whole time, and didn't really give any pointers. The pointers that he did give derailed me from my original solution and eventually I ran out of time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

Submit resume in career fair.
    Did a 15min OA .
    Then, a phone technical interview 45 min. Ask question about anagram.
    Onsite in SF office. Four rounds of 45 min interview. Didn't ask many algorithms, but focus on some detailed technical questions.

Interview Questions

• group anagram on leetcode
      difference between python and java
      how to write a load balancer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

One brief hackrrank question, question was pretty easy followed by a Phone interview with a technical question at the end.
    The onsite was 4 interviews with a total of 5 technical questions. First four ranging from medium to hard leetcode-type questions. I've also had around 3 design questions, each from a different domain: I've had a question on website design, feature selection (ML), and database optimization. Each question was extremely interesting to think about and the interviewer was an amazing soundboard. Although I felt pretty good after the interviews, I received a rejection a few days after the on-site. I feel that I've answered the coding questions well so I wonder what sort of candidate they were looking for. The Yelp HQ visit was an amazing experience and the engineers were really nice, regardless of the outcome.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2017.

Interview

Applied through college recruiting, the process is online coding challenge, skype interview, and possibly onsite in-person interview. I really liked the company and looking forward to hearing back from them

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First comes hackerrank, which is an easy level leetcode question. Then an HR 15 minute phone screen with no technical questions. Then a Skype interview with an engineer. The interviewer was really nice and asked about my previous summer's work experience. The second half of the interview was solving a leetcode medium question on coderpad, which I could not solve in 25 minutes.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Interview

15 min hackerrank, HR interview, technical skype interview, onsite (i didn't make it to the onsite). The recruiter was nice during our HR interview, but i'm pretty sure that was just a front as she never responded to any of my emails (other than the ones for setting up the phone interview/hacker rank). That was a little offsetting as it contrasted to what I had read about Yelp and their culture. What was further upsetting for me was that as I was in the middle of my thought process for coding his sort question, he just said sorry that's incorrect. after I finished, he had told me that I was correct. he's kinda quick to judge you, so be forewarned if you have to interview with him. if you do, please tell him to be patient before he automatically dismisses you as a candidate. he definitely seemed like, despite having good experience as a software engineer, that it was his first time conducting an interview. he also only left 5 minutes for you to ask questions...for a company that makes an emphasis on cultural fit, that was certainly a big contrast... if anybody gets him as interviewer, be warned! also, yelp please try ask someone with more experience interviewing candidates so they arent quick to judge and dismiss candidates like that. im pretty sure since he made his judgment quick that that's why i didnt move on

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Applied online, and received an email with a 15 min Hacker Rank question - sorting a dictionary by value. Then had a 15 min HR non-technical call, followed by scheduling a technical Skype interview. Currently awaiting the Skype interview.

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Was contacted by e-mail after applying online. They sent an online assessment--the question was easy to medium difficulty, but has a strict time limit. The next day after finishing the coding question I was declined.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in July 2017.

Interview

Three phase process. First, got a coding challenge through Hackerrank. Super easy problem. Next had a Skype interview with an engineer. Asked questions about me and my projects, and then one coding question at the end. Received an email saying they wanted to bring me onsite, so I sent my availability, but they didn't schedule it until I reached out asking for an update. The onsite was standard, tour of the office by the recruiter, followed by 4 interviews with various levels of engineers. They all asked me why I want to work at Yelp, and had me talk about my projects, as well as a coding problem (either on your laptop, or the whiteboard). I got a call with an offer the next day.

Interview Questions

• Why Yelp?   Answer Question
    • Given a 2D array of 1's and 0's, find the biggest perfect square of 1's (DFS).   1 Answer