Yelp Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Software Engineer New Grad Interview Questions

Updated Jun 9, 2017

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

The first question is why yelp. Then I was asked to talk about my project. Then being asked what would happen after you type the url in browser and hit enter until you see the web page?

Interview Questions

• Given n, print the numbers in the order of spiral from a matrix full of numbers 1~n^2.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer (New Grad) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

I applied through career fair in my campus and I got the on-campus interview. I passed the on-campus interview and got the on-site interview. I went to the HQ and spent half day over there. It was a pretty amazing experience for me. The recruiters are very nice and very responsive to my email.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work on yelp?   Answer Question
    • Given a 2D array, where there are 0s and 1s (1 representing island) count how many islands are there, for example, [[0,1,1], [1,0,0], [0,1,0]] there are 3 islands there (because in the first row 2 of 1s are connected so they created a bigger island.   1 Answer
    • Given a 2D array, how do you print "spirally"?   Answer Question
    • Given an array of string with 300 elements, how do you pair each of them so that each individual can be paired with all elements after couple of repetition?   1 Answer
    • When you click on yelp.com what happened?   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp in February 2017.

Interview

A non-technical call with a recruiter; a fifteen-minute online coding challenge; a 45-minute Skype interview with a Yelp engineer; a ~3.5-hour onsite with an office tour followed by four rounds of questioning/coding, each around 45 minutes long.

May have gotten the offer--just waiting to hear back.

Interview Questions

• All the discussion questions you would expect from this type of interview: what happens when you enter a URL into the browser, how do you speed up a slow-loading page, etc. Emphasis on having a discussion with the interviewee. Coding challenges that mimic real-life Yelp use cases.   Answer Question

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Interview

Joined a school session and handed my resume. Got a invitation on Hackerrank several days later. Finished a super easy programming problem using Python. You can use any language you want btw. And got a email about setting up a skype interview. Currently waiting for the skype interview right now.

Software Engineer - New Grad Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2016.

Interview

Applied online. I got a Hacker rank test. If you clear the hacker rank next round will be a phone screen. - After which, my application was not taken forward.

Interview Questions

• Hackerrank - String compression
      Phone Screen - 1) Design question - design a recommendation system
                                  2) Coding - Something on the lines of binary search and further modification

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Applied online.
    Initial phone call with Recruiter

Given an online test (Hackerrank). Comprised of multi-choice questions on basic knowledge of CS and networking (eg what does SSL stand for) and a simple coding exercise.

Phone call with Engineer. Questions about cs, networking and websites. Online coding exercise.

Interview Questions

• Given a number and a list of numbers, write a program that gives the total number of times the numbers in the list sum to the given number. Numbers in the list can be repeated.   Answer Question

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Was sent a HackerRank question and code problem to solve in a limited amount of time. Questions were unlike any other software engineering position I have interviewed for. Mostly questions out of an architecture and operating systems class.

Interview Questions

• What is the number in the Unix command for SIGKILL   1 Answer

New Grad Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I dropped the resume at the Yelp University talk, and I waited around 3 weeks to get the interview, the interview was online judge and it took around 45mins, including basic programming knowledges like bit manipulation and data structures, and maybe some programming languages questions, and one last programming test which asked to write a specific function, related to the yelp app I think

Interview Questions

• They asked me to code a yelp function as several functions were required.   Answer Question

Software Engineer, New Grad Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Yelp's interview process was incredibly efficient compared with the other tech companies I have interviewed with. I gave my resume to one of Yelp's engineers at an on-campus career fair and was contacted later that evening to schedule an on-campus screen for a few days later. I struggled more than I should have with the question, but a week after the initial screen, they invited me out for an onsite interview at their office in SF.

The onsite interviews started in the afternoon and began with a tour of their offices followed by a series of 4 technical interviews. Their engineers were very friendly and I thought I did well on the coding/algorithms questions. However, they also asked a fair number knowledge-based questions and seemed to be looking for specific answers--I definitely struggled with these due to my inexperience. I came out of the interview feeling pretty good but I received a rejection e-mail two days later telling me that I was not quite a right fit for the position.

pros: fast process, interviewers were friendly, cool office in downtown SF

cons: as one other review said, Yelp places more emphasis on knowledge-based questions than other tech companies

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard behavioral and technical interview questions that can be found online: search, recursion and a bit of machine learning were the focus of mine.

All of my interviewers asked me "Why Yelp?" so definitely think about this before you go in. Come up with something better than just "I like food".

Software Engineer New Grad Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Had an initial 20 min HackerRank coding challenge which was fairly simple and straightforward. Then had 1 phone screen with an engineer. After the phone screen I was invited for an onsite interview. Their onsite process is very average. Company tour + 4 round of interview. They concentrate a lot on cultural fit. I thought I was applying for a more general software engineering position but they asked me a lot of questions about HTTP protocols. I wasn't informed that I would be specifically interviewing with their web team.

Interview Questions

• 1. Phone screen: Given a corpus of a review, split it in terms sentences (Make sure to take care of ellipses, question marks and exclamation marks).

Onsite 1: Javascript question, HTTP protocols : Their significance and difference.
      Onsite 2: Implement a Most Recently Used Cache.
      Onsite 3: Given an iterator interface for 1 word, extend to implement an iterator function for two words.
      Onsite 4: Implement a trie. (Write the API and code for inserting into a trie).

All of the rounds were interspersed with cultural fit questions.