Yelp Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 13, 2017

2.9

299 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

A contrived 15-20 minute hacker rank quiz on data structures or algorithms to screen people out; it was kinda arbitrary and their solution wasn't even fully correct or unambiguous; overall I was not a fan of the time cap

Interview Questions

• remove duplicate entries from a linked list   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Onsite, distributed system questions. Go deep to my resume. Ask how to design distributed systems. I don't know why I got rejected because I think I performed quite good. They will ask alot about your resume.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Apply through school career fair. Get a 15 mins online coding challenge, which is pretty easy. Follow with a 45 mins Skype interview, asked a easy level and a medium level leetcode problems. Need to solve both in under 30 mins. Almost solve the second one completely before run out of time, but cannot finish.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp in October 2017.

Interview

it was a 15 minutes OA coding challenge on hackerrank. Don't worry about that you are not familiar with this site. It will provide sample test to let you get through it.

Interview Questions

• sorting the business info which looks like[{"name1", 10001},{"name2", 10004},{"name3", 10002}...]   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Recruiter was nice, thorough, and responsive! Kudos to her :-)
    The interview process afterwards was terrible.

I was instructed to complete a HackerRank challenge on a 15 min time limit! This is outrageous!
    Why would any sensible hiring manager think it's a good idea to screen an engineer in 15 mins with any challenge/question? Let alone a hackerrank challenge?

Here's the process I took, which "failed" me:
    - Spent ~5 mins reading & understanding the question
    - Worked out a preliminary solution on paper
    - Typed my solution in the box, failed some tests and as soon as I began debugging time was up!

I am not frustrated, I am disappointed that highly educated engineers/managers think this method of technical assessment is a reasonable way to screen candidates. Engineers/problem solvers need time to deliberate over even the easiest problems. I did not memorize the solution and I couldn't have possibly finished it with edge case checking and testing in 10 mins. Absolutely ridiculous.

I would never consider working at Yelp!

By the way, I pitched a product initiative to Yelp's recruiter that I KNOW Yelp needs to employ (in fact I know they've been trying to do it). Well now they've screened me with a 15 mins hackerrank challenge. They're not looking for passionate engineers, they're looking for "coders" that have some problems/solutions memorized and ready to fire.

Interview Questions

• Sort restaurants by their number of reviews   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2017.

Interview

After employee referral, I need to complete an online coding challenge which is about algorithm testing. The coding challenge is pretty easy and got a phone screen interview in one week.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in September 2017.

Interview

First I got an online assessment. It is a easy coding question. After that, HR contacted me to talk about interview process. The phone interview was a 45 minutes phone interview. It included computer science basic questions, resume questions and coding questions. And onsite interview included 4 interviews, and each of them is similar to phone interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in September 2017.

Interview

A very easy question on hackerrank.
    Recruiter then asked for resume and scheduled an online interview with a technical recruiter.
     Second round was an skype interview. Interviewer was very nice and kind, and question was fair but I did not answer well.

Interview Questions

• Replace all occurrences of a certain char in a string with another string.
      NDA for skype   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Employee referred, then the HR contacted me , and start the process. Firstly I completed a easy Hackerrank Question and then I had a phone interview. There primarily ask System Design questions

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

15 minute coding challenge which was really easy followed by a 1 hour long Skype call. The question he asked was actually a fairly easy to average sorting question, I eventually got the answer after getting confused in the beginning. Interviewer was very clear and friendly and gave me hints when I hit road blocks.