Yelp Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Feb 21, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Apply online or referred by the employee. Get the email from the recruiter. Do the Online Assessment. Have a 15 minutes quick talk (non-tech) with the recruiter. Have a 45 minutes phone interview (tech) with the engineer.

Interview Questions

• Self - introduction. Why Yelp? What things you care about most for your first full-time job?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

first round is online assessment containing three coding questions, easy to medium difficulty, 70 mins. second round is Skype interview, with a coding question and some technical questions and why yelp question

Interview Questions

• hoe does the web browser take you into the right wevsite when you type something. the mechanism   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Berkeley, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First, I had a coding challenge on Hackerrank. They had example questions and they prepared me for the actual interview question. Then I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a skype interview with one of the engineer. Had a skype interview with an engineer and answered basic questions about myself and 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Hakerrank: You have two arrays. Find a mutual item with the best ranking. (0th item: rank 1, 1st item: rank 2, and so on)
      Skype: 1) If you have 3 server and requests are coming in, how would you effectively distribute the loads. 2) input: list of strings, output: list of list of strings with anagrams together.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2017.

Interview

First step was a chat with the recruiter. Second step was a phone screen. I thought I did well, but I got rejected. The recruiter and the interviewer were nice though!
    The interview was for a general software engineer role, and based on my skills and preference they were going to decided which team could fit me more.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked a standard coding questions and I was able to solve it, but I got rejected after a day. Don't know why! He also asked what I am looking for, but said your answer won't affect the interview result.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Referred by a friend. Got a coding challenge that was easy, time limit of 15 minutes. Then a Skype interview with an engineer. Went well, I thought but I got rejected so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work at yelp? What might make a website slow? And then a question about dictionaries and list manipulation, lots of runtime questions about the methods I wrote.   Answer Question

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied via college career fair and received a Hackerrank test a week or two later. The Hackerrank test was very easy, a single question which was probably around the difficulty of a Leetcode easy difficulty problem.

The next phase was a 45 minute Skype interview with an engineer. We discussed a side project on my resume. Be sure to be able to discuss things you would change/improve upon if you were to redo your project. I was also given a coding problem via Coderpad; this was about Leetcode easy difficulty as well.

After the first Skype interview I was informed that I had made it to the final round of interviews, a series of two back-to-back Skype interviews; I also had a phone conversation with my recruiter around this time, but this was informal for the most part. I had some issues with Yelp in regards to scheduling around this point in time. I had several issues with this final round interview set. First, the first of the two interviewers never contacted me; one of my interviews ended up being rescheduled. The second interviewer was also late. The interviews were the same format as the first Skype interview. One of the problems was between Leetcode easy-medium and the other problem was a medium level problem straight from Leetcode.

Overall the experience was fine; besides the scheduling issues my recruiter was prompt in contacting me for the most part and the interviewers were friendly.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp in December 2016.

Interview

originally got contacted for interview and then told that they were done recruiting few days later. I was not in the states at the time and was not available to interview for a few days but by then it was too late.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

I registered online on the career fair on September. First I get the online assignment. It's a easy task and I have 15 minutes to finish it. Then, a HR reply to me and arrange a Skype interview. It was a 45 min interview. In the interview, the interviewer talk about what he does first and then go through my resume. Then ask me some questions about c++ and python.

Interview Questions

• Difference between c++ and python
      dynamic and static typing
      a programming problem about webpages links. It is similar to a graph problem. Give two vertices in a directed graph, and find whether there is a path from one to the other.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

45 min Skype Interview. It started with simple Resume Questions and the Java fundamental questions.
    Then he asked me the follwoing interview question wiith 25 min time left on the clock.

Interview Questions

• The problem:
      I'm working on a collaborative code editor between 2 people. I have the text
      synchronizing across both screens. However, I have run into the problem
      illustrated below.

>>>Expecter Output<<<

Screen Person A After Screen Person B After

|Cat Ca|t

The content updates and the word cat shifts down a line. However, Person B's
      cursor is left in it's original position instead of moving down a line as expected.

Implement the fixCursorRow method don't worry about updating the column.

public class Cursor {
          public int column;
          public int row;

public Cursor(int row, int column);
      }

// diff comes from the other screen.
      // content is content of the current screen before diff is applied.
      // cursor is the cursor of the current screen.

// diff format:
      // The diff contains all content from beginning to end of document.

{{"1", "\n"}, {"0", "cat"}}
      // house -> horse = {{"0", "ho"}, {"-1", "u"}, {"1", "r"}, {"0", "se"}}
      // "0" -> equality, "1" -> addition, "-1" -> removal
      public Cursor fixCursorRow(String[][] diff, String content, Cursor cursor) {
      }
    • Java fundamentals and the Question that I have mentioned.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in November 2016.

Interview

I apply through university career fair. I got OA on hackerrank. After OA, I scheduled a tech interview with data mining team. After the tech interview, I wait 2 weeks to get response.