Yelp Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 30, 2017

2.9

287 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

15 minute coding challenge which was really easy followed by a 1 hour long Skype call. The question he asked was actually a fairly easy to average sorting question, I eventually got the answer after getting confused in the beginning. Interviewer was very clear and friendly and gave me hints when I hit road blocks.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Applied online and after 1 month of application date, got a mail from an employee if I was interested in proceeding with the interview process. After that, there was a HackeRank coding challenge.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Interview

The interview experience was very positive for me. The recruiters were prompt, and very accommodating of my timeline. There were 4 stages:

1. Tech challenge on hackerrank (1hr), fairly easy
    2. Phone screen (1hr), ask about resume + coding question on coderpad
    3. Onsite (4 x 45 min), a mix of questions about the resume and coding questions

The onsite interviewers were great about making sure your interest as a developer is heard, and Yelp does a team matching in the end. The questions were a good mix of data structure, algorithm, and your understanding of web services, data base optimization, etc.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

4 round non-stop tech interview, each round last for 45 mins, without any break or rest time. Content includes project questions, coding problems and open questions about design features on yelp.

Interview Questions

• See a feature on yelp, tell them how to design this feature. Could be from front end to backend.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

First of all, introduce yourself. Why do you choose yelp and then go through the resume. finally a coding challenge. the coding challenge is about dfs and it is not very hard.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Hackerrank interview.

Yelp by far is one of the most garage interviews I experienced. It's mind boggling to me that a timed quiz is your entry point to a conversation with an actual person.

Any company that uses hacker rank to evaluate you is broken. No one in any environment works in a timed box. I'm still flummoxed that this is how they actually do screening.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

First was an online coding test on Hacker rank. The question was an "easy" level on Leetcode. After a week was the Skype interview. The interviewer was friendly. First 20 mins or so was talking about experience, why applying for the position, etc. He asked me a question on numerical analysis. Then a coding question, which surprisingly was pretty easy. Then a puzzle question which I couldn't solve. A few days later received an email rejection.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

I applied online. The proccess took 2 weeks. First was a 15 min online coding challenge that was easy. Then I had a skype interview a week later. It was straight forward. Behavioral questions, then a 1 coding question that wasnt hard. It seems they like using questions about: duplicates, overlaps, things of that nature

Interview Questions

• Remove duplicates from a string.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Yelp reached out to me after being referred. First talked to a recruiter for about 30 minutes, then got a short coding exercise of about 30 minutes. The recruiter was not super fast in responding, but also not super slow.

Interview Questions

• Reduce a 2D array where you need to sum the same elements and return them sorted by amount   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in May 2017.

Interview

Applied to new grad position online. Got invitation to complete online assessment which was surprisingly just 15 mins long. Completed brute force implementation, 2/4 test cases successful. Couldn't find error(s) as to shortage of time.