Yelp Software Engineering Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Yelp Software Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Mar 23, 2017

2.9

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

It started with phone interview where the HR asks about general knowledge about database system, and then coding challenge after that. The coding challenge was hard for me, but the interviewer is pretty kind that he offers me some clue on how to solve the problem.

Interview Questions

• How to solve a crossword puzzle like problem(find all the possible words)   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Yelp

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Had a fifteen minute OT, which went well after which I qualified for a phone interview. It took time for the recruiters to do the scheduling. The interviewer introduced himself, asked about my projects and internships after which we had a coding question

Interview Questions

• Implement Dequeue, Enqueue and FindMin()   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp in March 2017.

Interview

Got an online coding challenge, about 15 mins to finish one easy question. Then went forward to a Skype Interview, asking about projects on resumes. Finally, there's 20 mins coding part.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Yelp.

Interview

Apply online or referred by the employee. Get the email from the recruiter. Do the Online Assessment. Have a 15 minutes quick talk (non-tech) with the recruiter. Have a 45 minutes phone interview (tech) with the engineer.

Interview Questions

• Self - introduction. Why Yelp? What things you care about most for your first full-time job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Yelp (Atlanta, GA) in February 2017.

Interview

first round is online assessment containing three coding questions, easy to medium difficulty, 70 mins. second round is Skype interview, with a coding question and some technical questions and why yelp question

Interview Questions

• hoe does the web browser take you into the right wevsite when you type something. the mechanism   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

The interviewer was 10 minutes late and asked about the basic questions such as "why yelp" and web technologies questions. He also asked lots of details in the projects, which led to not enough time for technical questions since he was late for schedule. He only asked one technical question which was easy but it took him time to explain to me because we did not have time building test cases and the programming languages(Python) were not what I was familiar and agreed with(Java or javascript).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Berkeley, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (Berkeley, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

First, I had a coding challenge on Hackerrank. They had example questions and they prepared me for the actual interview question. Then I was contacted by a recruiter to set up a skype interview with one of the engineer. Had a skype interview with an engineer and answered basic questions about myself and 2 technical questions.

Interview Questions

• Hakerrank: You have two arrays. Find a mutual item with the best ranking. (0th item: rank 1, 1st item: rank 2, and so on)
      Skype: 1) If you have 3 server and requests are coming in, how would you effectively distribute the loads. 2) input: list of strings, output: list of list of strings with anagrams together.
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp in January 2017.

Interview

First step was a chat with the recruiter. Second step was a phone screen. I thought I did well, but I got rejected. The recruiter and the interviewer were nice though!
    The interview was for a general software engineer role, and based on my skills and preference they were going to decided which team could fit me more.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer asked a standard coding questions and I was able to solve it, but I got rejected after a day. Don't know why! He also asked what I am looking for, but said your answer won't affect the interview result.   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Applied via college career fair and received a Hackerrank test a week or two later. The Hackerrank test was very easy, a single question which was probably around the difficulty of a Leetcode easy difficulty problem.

The next phase was a 45 minute Skype interview with an engineer. We discussed a side project on my resume. Be sure to be able to discuss things you would change/improve upon if you were to redo your project. I was also given a coding problem via Coderpad; this was about Leetcode easy difficulty as well.

After the first Skype interview I was informed that I had made it to the final round of interviews, a series of two back-to-back Skype interviews; I also had a phone conversation with my recruiter around this time, but this was informal for the most part. I had some issues with Yelp in regards to scheduling around this point in time. I had several issues with this final round interview set. First, the first of the two interviewers never contacted me; one of my interviews ended up being rescheduled. The second interviewer was also late. The interviews were the same format as the first Skype interview. One of the problems was between Leetcode easy-medium and the other problem was a medium level problem straight from Leetcode.

Overall the experience was fine; besides the scheduling issues my recruiter was prompt in contacting me for the most part and the interviewers were friendly.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Yelp (San Francisco, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Referred by a friend. Got a coding challenge that was easy, time limit of 15 minutes. Then a Skype interview with an engineer. Went well, I thought but I got rejected so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Interview Questions

• Why do you wanna work at yelp? What might make a website slow? And then a question about dictionaries and list manipulation, lots of runtime questions about the methods I wrote.   Answer Question