York University Interview Questions in Toronto, ON | Glassdoor

2.8

56 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Senior Advisor, Government Relations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2017.

Interview

Applied online and a month later I did an online screening questionnaire. A week later, I was contacted for an interview. The position was new and so far it had been performed by someone doing two position in two different areas with a lot of communications experience but not much in government relations. Based on the description they provided they were looking at someone to liaise between the government and the university. I got really discouraged to learn that the position's starting salary was at the $47K mark (max of $52K) since similar positions in other institutions pay closer to $70K. Also, the direct supervisor is in the sunshine list and makes about three times the salary. The interview took about 45 minutes following by a test of 90 min. The interview was average, but I was really thrown off by the administrative assistant, who was part of the interview committee and was rude the whole time.

The questions were also super basic, so I felt overqualified throughout the whole process.

The test entailed writing a letter and preparing a briefing on a topic. 90 minutes is more than enough to do the task.

Cashier Book Store Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in December 2016.

Interview

You have a one on one interview that is about 15 minutes with just question answer. You get a lot of simple questions mostly cashier related and costumer service related. As it was a temporary 2 week job when the school time textbook rush was in they needed a lot of staff. Just emphasis that you are available and can work at a fast pace.

Interview Questions

• Describe how to handle an angry costumer?   1 Answer

Manager (Non Academic) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

3 people-panel: Director of the Program, Current Manager and HR Specialist. Questions were read from the script by each person. After that I did a prepared presentation related to the role.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very typical e.g. "Why did you apply?" "What is your experience in this field?" etc.   1 Answer

Global Assistant, Exchange and Visiting Students Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in November 2016.

Interview

I was interviewed by a panel of four people. The first person was the representative from the HR Department, while other three were working at the Department that I applied for. I was asked to create and deliver a presentation. The overall interview process was not too difficult. They asked many questions related to the position. However, due to the high number of qualified applicants, you need to do extremely well during an interview. There is also a potential second round interview.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us about any current events/situation that may impact education locally and internationally?   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in July 2016.

Interview

Applied online and received email stating that one assessment need to complete. I did same day and received mail after 2 days for in person interview. I successfully attended in person interview and received one more email after couple of days for requested references. My references gave them good about me in next day. But still I dint receive any news yet. Am really waiting for my job. Please can you some help me in this matter. How long will take time to get good news, and if they requested references means everything going good or not?

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

One interview with the Supervisor and hiring decision will be notified in a few days. Interview felt like a government interview - asked about technical skills and and knowledge based.

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

It was usual, very theoretical. Person asked the debit credit wisdom questions that are usually asked from accountant. Genuine and straight forward. It’s a public institution so lot of work was mentioned upfront. Overall fair process and honest interview. It was usual, very theoretical. Person asked the debit credit wisdom questions that are usually asked from accountant. Genuine and straight forward. It’s a public institution so lot of work was mentioned upfront. Overall fair process and honest interview.

IT Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at York University (North York, ON (Canada)) in May 2016.

Interview

It was quite long. I felt nervous and also i felt like most of the questions were quite unecessary to be asked. I really wished I could get the job though.

Interview Questions

• What do you do if someone spills water in their laptop? How would you help?   Answer Question

Housekeeper Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2016.

Interview

very comfortable, if you get the interview, you're most likely going to be offered the position. The manager made it seem like a conversation and you just have to be yourself. You get trained anyway. References are really important to them. After the interview, I had to ensure my references checked out and that was after I already got the offer on the spot. They need to know you can take the job seriously

Budget Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at York University (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in January 2016.

Interview

Had an interview with Financial Officer for about 40 minutes. She first asked me questions, then described a position I applied for. She also asked if I passed some test (like MS Office, accounting) with University Human Resource. Asked If I had another interview with York.

Interview Questions

• About my previous job and skills I have, my ability to reconcile accounts, what Software we use previously, if I created financial reports, my strengths and weakness, why I left my previous job.   Answer Question