Medtronic Interview Question: You are in a boat in a pool w... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

Mechanical Engineering Intern Interview Northridge, CA

You are in a boat in a pool with a rock in your hand. You

throw the rock into the pool. Does the water level rise, drop, or stay the same?
Answer

Interview Answer

7 Answers

depends on how big the pool is and how accurately you can measure the water rise

Anonymous on May 10, 2010

This post has been removed.
Please see our Community Guidelines or Terms of Service for more information.

If the rock were neutrally buoyant the water level would remain the same. It is heavier than water which causes it to displace more than its own volume while in the boat compared to at the bottom of the lake. Therefore the water level of the lake would go down.

Ben on Oct 1, 2010

At the moment the rock leaves your hand the water falls in the pool. When the rock enters the water the water level of the pool rises again to the level it had before you threw it.

Homebrook on Dec 15, 2013

really? I thought the water would go up ?

hennefaus on Feb 8, 2016

These answers are troubling. The only correct answer so far is Ben. The water level goes down.

Sean Matthew Conner on Jan 8, 2017

I'm not a mechanical engineer, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. I hope no one else who has answered this question here (except for Homebrook) is a mechanical engineer.
When you add the volume of the rock and subtract the volume of water previously displaced by the boat+rock, there is no change in the water level of the pool.
Another way to answer is: The water level measured at the side of the pool remains the same. The boat becomes more buoyant and the water level measured at the side of boat falls.

Anonymous 2 on Jul 11, 2017

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.