GovHK Interview Question: You have mentioned "Small Hou... | Glassdoor

Interview Question

General Assistant Interview Sha Tin (Hong Kong)

You have mentioned "Small House" yet, to your knowledge

 , what does "Small House" mean?

Interview Answer

1 Answer


(a) The New Territories Small House Policy is a policy approved by the Executive Council and has been implemented since December 1972. It is formulated to allow an indigenous villager to apply for permission to erect for himself during his lifetime a small house on a suitable site within his own village.

(b) 'Environs of a recognised village' in general refers to a 300 ft. distance surrounding a recognised village where small house applications are considered. However, consideration will also be given to applications for sites within a 'V' zone in a Development Permission Area/Outline Zoning Plan, which encircles a recognised village and is larger than the 300 ft. village environs.

(c) A small house is basically a building in the New Territories constructed in accordance with the provisions of the Buildings Ordinance (Application to the New Territories) Ordinance, Chapter 121. The main features are that the building shall neither contain more than three storeys nor exceed a height of 8.23 metres (27 ft.) and the maximum roofed-over area of the house shall not normally exceed 65.03 square metres (700 sq. ft.). Under the said Ordinance, a certificate of exemption should be obtained from the District Lands Officer prior to the commencement of any building works unless plans prepared by an Authorized Person have been approved by the Building Authority. Similarly, the owner should apply for separate certificates of exemption for site formation works and drainage works from the District Lands Officer and shall not commence any works on site before obtaining the necessary certificate of exemption, or securing approval of plans by the Building Authority.

(d) In the case of application for Building Licence or Land Exchange (Surrender and Regrant), the land under application must be registered in the applicant's name.

(e) Application for small house grant on Government land from a villager living overseas will be refused unless the District Lands Officer is satisfied that the applicant intends to return and reside in his village. The District Lands Officer may however, consider overseas application for small house grant on private land.

(f) An administrative fee will be levied for small house grants. A premium at a concessionary rate calculated by Government will also be charged except where Free Building Licences are issued. For those small house sites where Government money has been spent on resumption, clearance, site formation or infrastructure, a higher premium will be imposed.

(g) Pursuant to the provisions under the Town Planning Ordinance, Chapter 131, planning permission will have to be obtained from the Town Planning Board under Section 16 of the Ordinance for erection of small houses outside the 'V' Zones (village type development) as shown on statutory plans such as Development Permission Area Plans and Outline Zoning Plans.

Interview Candidate on Jan 1, 2011

Add Answers or Comments

To comment on this, Sign In or Sign Up.